Author Topic: Reading no metadata on import of CUE files  (Read 4219 times)

Gypsy_Acid_Queen

Hi there all,

New to MusicBee (having just migrated from Foobar), and am struggling a little with the import of some cue files. The base files themselves are either one or two FLACs, and when imported into Foobar work just fine. However upon opening the cue with MusicBee, I'm presented with a list of tracks in the 'Now Playing' section that lack any tags. The one thing that's correct is the number of tracks in the album, but each of the 'tracks' are equivalent to the length of one side of the album. Could I get some help from you lovely folks?

Thanks!

J24

• Love music of all genres and cultures
Is the metadata in the file in some kind of foreign characters (or characters not in your system locale)? I've had some problems with some CUE files when they contain foreign characters (like Japanese and Chinese) where the metadata shows as garbled symbols.
I'm addicted to meth, that is, methadata.
Wanna share music recommendations? add me on Last.fm!

Gypsy_Acid_Queen

Aha! Thank you for this. I'm Chinese and yes, you're right, the metadata is in Chinese. I'll... hm... I don't really know how to fix that.

Thanks anyway!

J24

I often have this problem since I have several Japanese and a couple Chinese albums. Here's how I fix it:
1. Change the CUE's file extension to ".txt" For example rename "myCueFile.cue" to "myCueFile.txt"
2. Open the TXT file with Microsoft Word. When you try to open it with MS Word it will prompt you to choose a text encoding. Select "Other encoding" and it should recognize that your txt file contains Chinese characters and will automatically select the correct encoding (in your case, it's probably "Chinese Simplified").
3. If you selected the right text encoding, you should be able to see the contents of the CUE file in MS Word without garbled symbols. Now select all the text in MS Word and copy it. Open "myCueFile.txt" with Notepad and delete all the text in it, then paste the text you copied from MS Word.
4. Close MS Word. Now go back to Notepad and select "File > Save as". In the window that pops up make sure to select UTF-8 as the encoding and then save the file to any name you want.
5. Rename the TXT file so that it has the CUE extension again. (change "myCueFile.txt" back to "myCueFile.cue")
6. Now you should be able to play the CUE file and see all the metadata without garbled symbols! :)

Let me know if you have any questions

J24

What I would recommend to you, though, is to split the FLAC using Foobar and convert the tracks.
That way you don't have to edit the CUE file AND you will also have your FLAC split into individual FLAC tracks which means that they are now much easier to manage/edit.

To split the tracks:
1. Open the CUE file in Foobar2000. If your PC is set to Chinese system locale then you should be able to open Chinese CUE files. If it's set to another language, you will need to change your system locale to Chinese (which requires a PC restart) or launch Foobar using Microsoft's AppLocale (doesn't require PC restart).
2. Select all the tracks from the CUE file in Foobar.
3. Right Click > Convert > ...
4. Select the file name convention and select the audio format. If you just want to split the FLAC then select FLAC as the output format. However, I recommend that you actually select MP3 or AAC (Apple, M4A) format since they are better supported than FLAC in different hardware/softwares and are much smaller in size. Both, MP3 and AAC are supported in MusicBee and their metadata display properly (even if it's in Chinese or other non-alphanumeric characters). I prefer AAC because it has better quality than MP3, however, know that some non-Apple hardware music players can't play AAC encoded audio.

Link to download Microsoft's AppLocale
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13209

NOTE: I'm assuming you're using Windows. If you're using Mac/Linux just google for a way to change "system locale" or "system language" in your OS.
Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 03:26:25 PM by Jorge24