Author Topic: Closed source,OK, but can you open it in your will,please? (No disrespect meant)  (Read 3909 times)

e-motiv

I don't want to be rude, but the matter crossed my mind. So to keep it respectful, I'll keep it short:
Steven, I respect your decision to keep you source closed, but could you put in your will that the source can be opened after you...you know...left our sphere.  :-\
Just in case?

P.S. I think this matter has nót been addressed before. I read the closed topic about open source. This point was never addressed, unless my searching skills are mediocre. In that case, I'm sorry.

And Steven, I hope you can forgive my concern if I stepped on your or your friends' or family's toes.
  Developing @ e-motiv.net       --       Musicbee plugins: Speak Back - Ghost Tracks - Radio Dig

Steven

• Administrator
thats a little bit serious! Its just a music player and people will just keep using it or move onto another player just as they have done for other players that discontinue for whatever reason.
As I have said numerous times, open sourcing is one of the options i will consider if i no longer want to keep maintaining MB, but for now i am not expecting that to be the case any time soon.

Zak

• Global Moderator
On a scale of 1 to 10, how likely is it that you will want to continue maintaining MusicBee after you die?
Bee excellent to each other...

BeeBeeKing

He's done such a good job in the real world it wouldn't surprise me that Steven will continue via TeamViewer in the world hereafter to develop MB.  :)

boroda

He's done such a good job in the real world it wouldn't surprise me that Steven will continue via TeamViewer in the world hereafter to develop MB.  :)
+100500 :)

e-motiv

Steven, it's exactly against the dying of MB that I mention it. Why should you let things become because other things also become? That's a false argument, is it not?

"It's just a Music player" ->  I don't agree on several levels.
1. there is nothing out there like MB at all on many levels.  And I feel that, in a broader context, the digital world, especially the free initiatives (open and not open) are losing more and more field and the capitalistic, mono-cultural and often (for many) expensive alternative has started to make electronic progress slacking as hell (since a couple of years now in my opinion)! We would have been much further had every developer found a common ground.  (Though there are still some exceptions left to this rule-in-becoming.) So, make a statement! Be different! Resist this potential future set-back in the music world (as in having to wait prrbably a decade for someone finding the time to pick something like MB up again and rewrite from scratch.)

2. OK, it' still just a music player compared to the event for which a will has to be effected, but the will itself is also "just a will".  (Don't get me wrong, the will, not the event of course!!)  An addition or part of it takes 10 minutes to make and you don't even have to have another one that this would be part of! 
At least in my country, you just need a paper a pen (and a witness?) and a place to put it (or give it to notary.)
As a matter of fact, I bet you spent manmonths on MB; so menmonths against menminutes .. ?

3. Also, remember!  Music is (part of) what keeps the world "decent"! Or at least more decent than it would be without if you see things like me and where they are going.  And I think a very good music-player adds to that. In that sense, it's not just a music player, it's something that helps form our society.  (Anyone like how I turned this? ;-) )

At least tell a friend, your wife or family to open the source once you might have had an unfortunate, unforeseen off-stage. :-/
** cute begging cat image here**

P.S. Zak, how beautiful you made your point!  I totally agree with you. It's why I started this topic. Even tho the follow-up joke is also hilarious (but lacks a realistic argument part).
So, why do you repeat the fact around open source, Steven? This is not about that. It's about what Zak said, when you (unexpectedly!) can't make that decision anymore.

P.P.S. Steven, how much of a compliment do you need to change your mind?! (on will thing, not open source)
I realized that this request can be seen as a huge compliment, don't you agree?  (Credit goes to Zak however, since I noticed that he voiced it before somewhere. Though I had the parallel thought before ever reading that. :p )

Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:29:06 PM by R U Bn ?
  Developing @ e-motiv.net       --       Musicbee plugins: Speak Back - Ghost Tracks - Radio Dig

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
On a scale of 1 to 10, how likely is it that you will want to continue maintaining MusicBee after you die?

LOL!  I think that might be a case of "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"  :D
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together