Author Topic: Sound quality  (Read 4772 times)

jackuars

I find that the sound quality of MB is not as good as Foobar or AIMP. What could be wrong? Or are they better in that aspect?

hiccup

I find that the sound quality of MB is not as good as Foobar or AIMP. What could be wrong? Or are they better in that aspect?

I am guessing you have different settings between those players with respect to loudness, samplerate, and/or equalizer settings.
If all those players are set up correctly and identical there will be no difference in sound quality.

jackuars

What would be your suggestion to improve compared to default settings then? What settings to tweak in MB?

hiccup

You would first have to explain clearly what exactly makes you feel that the sound of other players sounds better to your ears.
I already gave you hints on loudness and equalizer settings being important for perceived differences to the human ear, so you could have a look for yourself in those areas first.

Steven

• Administrator
I just want to add to what hiccup said. If you are playing the same file at the same volume with no Equaliser and DSP:
- for ASIO or WASAPI, as long as the output device supports the sample rate of the song data then output will be exactly the same between players
- for ASIO or WASAPI, if the device doesnt support the sample rate then MB will resample the data using the BASS library which potentially outputs probably tiny and imperceptible differences
- for DirectSound, windows re-samples and dithers the output if needed but that would be the same for any player
- if you are using an Equaliser or DSP then of course the output data will differ between players depending on how they are configured. You would need to tweak the equaliser to your liking