Author Topic: mBee10  (Read 40894 times)

vpsaxman

The problem with putting the icon inside a "container" rather than add an outline, is that because of the musical note, the fact that the bee I designed is oval, and how the wing sticks out, the icon will always look like it's not properly centered.

There's something not quite right with this for example but the icon is centered.

However, an outline may work for dark skins and I could again provide several versions depending on what you guys want.

I think I would make a separate icon to use inside MB because if you make the outline big enough so it's useful with the tiny icon inside MB, it's way too big when used in the Windows taskbar for example. See these below. Looks right on the large version but the smaller version would need a thicker outline.

I'm still not convinced about using an outline at all yet, but there's obviously something that needs to be done for darker skins.

BeeBeeKing

I like the darker yellow bottom left.
My concern is with a detached musical note.
As a suggestion perhaps two musical notes could be used, one smaller and placed behind the other to create the illusion of depth and placed below the Bee but joined to it in a manner to imply feet (yes I know bees have more than 2 feet!  ;) ) this would unite the logo. otherwise I wouldn't use the note separately.

vpsaxman

I really think creating separate icons is the way to go. For example, I can fill a square with color:

And this is the default icon with the DarkRED skin. Notice the musical note has been removed and I think that's because it's just too small.

Looking at these, I'd like to try and come up with an altered design so it looks good when size is reduced.

Something like this but maybe not as radical. This looks more like a fish than a bee ;)

Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:46:18 AM by vpsaxman

vpsaxman

I like the darker yellow bottom left.
My concern is with a detached musical note.
As a suggestion perhaps two musical notes could be used, one smaller and placed behind the other to create the illusion of depth and placed below the Bee but joined to it in a manner to imply feet (yes I know bees have more than 2 feet!  ;) ) this would unite the logo. otherwise I wouldn't use the note separately.

Well, the intent was to update the default icon to reflect the change in UI in the upcoming Windows 10 and MB3, not change it radically.

On top of that, smaller parts in an icon look great in a large format screenshot, but as soon as you reduce the size of the icon, it just gets in the way of clarity.

I'll see if I can come up with something though.

BeeBeeKing

maybe use the old logo, but just have an extra stripe?

vpsaxman

maybe use the old logo, but just have an extra stripe?

I know this goes against your suggestion but I wanted to get rid of the depth in the icon (created by the shine in the original) because it looks dated and clashes with the new Windows aesthetics IMO.

Alumni

Nice work with these icons vpsaxman. I have a suggestion.
Rather than updating the default MusicBee icon, how about remaking the RotemK icon with a flatter look?
Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:51:44 AM by Alumni

vpsaxman

Rather than updating the default MusicBee icon, how about remaking the RotemK icon with a flatter look?

Thanks for the nice words!

I'll see what I can do with the RotemK icon. I always liked how goofy it looks.

It will be a challenge though as it's even more 3D than the default and has more details.

vpsaxman

So I've slightly tweaked the icon to use inside MB (and in the notification area). It looks similar to the bigger icon but works as a smaller size both in light and dark skins.

I've added it to the zip file which contains the rest of the icons. Please see first post. Thanks!

As for the RotemK icon, honestly I didn't get the chance to spend a lot of time on it, but so far it ends up as a similar icon as mBee10 with the color reversed. I've got a few ideas though.
Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:04:46 PM by vpsaxman

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Nice solution.  I like it.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

vpsaxman

Nice solution.  I like it.

:D

So I suppose it could look something like this. The thing is , what gives the RotemK icon that particular look are the details and many of them can't really be taken out without losing the original vibe. And this doesn't look "flat" so the stripes should be curved with this design I think.

Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:58:23 AM by vpsaxman

Bee-liever

Just wondering if a version of mBee10.ico, mBee10_Light.ico, etc, etc with the new 16x16 image of mBee10_small replacing the standard small image be available?

vpsaxman

Just wondering if a version of mBee10.ico, mBee10_Light.ico, etc, etc with the new 16x16 image of mBee10_small replacing the standard small image be available?

Do you mean compiling mBee10_Small as the default 16x16 image for each icon? I'd have to look into how to do this. I think I remember reading GIMP can do this.

vpsaxman

This maybe?

Bee-liever

Do you mean compiling mBee10_Small as the default 16x16 image for each icon?

Yep. That's it.