Author Topic: mBee10  (Read 41165 times)

vpsaxman

Download zip file with latest icons ~~HERE~~

Re-design is not radical but more in line with the Win10 aesthetics. The goal was to modernize the icon while keeping close to the original design.
Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:33:18 AM by vpsaxman

vpsaxman

Slightly modified the eye and added white stroke like the original icon.

Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:02:21 PM by vpsaxman

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Looks good. I think the flatter version works well.

A couple of suggestions, if I may:
  • I always found the white stroke very harsh on the eyes - maybe a lighter version of the yellow (like 254,250,216 - FEFAD8) would work better?
  • With the change to version 3 on the horizon, maybe 3 thinner stripes instead of 2?
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

vpsaxman

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

Honestly, I could do without the white stroke. The only reason I added it is because the small icon gets lost when it's used within MB on a dark skin. Maybe I could make 2 versions available or think of something else just for the small version.

3 stripes for MB3 is a genius idea!!

As for the yellow, I took inspiration from the Win10 folder icon colors, but you're right, it looks better with a lighter color.

vpsaxman

FEFAD8 may be a little too light what do you think? When looking at the one above and this one, I think I could probably go a touch lighter than the one in the previous post though.  ???

Bee-liever

As for the yellow, I took inspiration from the Win10 folder icon colors, but you're right, it looks better with a lighter color.

I'd like to take credit for the lighter stripes on the bee, but honestly, I was referring to replacing the white outer stroke with the pale yellow.  :D

I like the third image best, so far.

phred

• Global Moderator
Personally I think the yellow stripes in the third image are too light.  And in the first they're too bright.  The second is just right.  Also, I think replacing the white outline (stroke) with the yellow would make this almost perfect.  I would like to see a musical note back near the tail as this is, after all, MUSICbee.  Something like what's done here:
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

BeeBeeKing

I like the yellow in the first image actually, the others too pale for a Bee.

vpsaxman

Looking at these with fresh eyes, I also prefer the first shade of yellow. The original icon uses quite a dark shade of yellow.

I'll make a few variations tonight and post them here. I'll make a version with and without the outline (will try with yellow) & see how I can add the musical note.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

vpsaxman

Okay how about this?

I've abandoned the outline idea for now. I need to think of a good way to make the icon pop out with dark skins but I'm not a fan of the stroke.
Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:02:35 PM by vpsaxman

Pingaware

I like the left hand ones a lot - three stripes in particular works well on the flatter design.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

vpsaxman

I like the left hand ones a lot - three stripes in particular works well on the flatter design.
I agree the 3 stripes look great. We have Bee-liever to thank for the idea. :)

phred

• Global Moderator
I also like the two on the left side.  Although I see no difference between the two in the shade of yellow.  Probably my monitors since I did look at them with ColorCop and know they are different.  And having three stripes was a great idea.

I do have a concern about eliminating the outline.  And that would be if the icon is being used on a dark background, it will not be clearly defined.  The outline gives it a little more punch and makes it more visible.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

vpsaxman

I also like the two on the left side.  Although I see no difference between the two in the shade of yellow.  Probably my monitors since I did look at them with ColorCop and know they are different.  And having three stripes was a great idea.

I do have a concern about eliminating the outline.  And that would be if the icon is being used on a dark background, it will not be clearly defined.  The outline gives it a little more punch and makes it more visible.

I have a 2 monitor setup. My main is a Dell P2314H and the second is an aging Acer X223WBD. If I look at the pics on the Acer, the two colors look really close however on the Dell the difference is obvious.

I agree about the outline and I plan to add versions of the icons above with an outline. I just need to figure out the best size and color for it.

Bee-liever

I like the left-hand one in the darker yellow tone.
I've done a quick yellow halo as a suggestion for a solution to the background on dark colours problem.

On a side note for anyone with monitor colour reproduction issues, I would suggest Calibrize to calibrate the correct settings.