Author Topic: Lots of harddrive activity on start-up  (Read 1775 times)

hedgehog90

All my music is on a rather old 2TB harddrive. I find when I start up Music bee, my harddrive makes a lot of noise for about 2 minutes.
What's it doing, and is there any way to reduce drive activity on startup?
I have my library set to 'auto organise' by the way.

I've aslo noticed that the hard drive get's unusually loud and clicky when musicbee downloads multiple podcasts. Perhaps it's just my shitty hard drive, but it appears that it's writing to disk in multiple places at once, causing the arm to go crazy fast and make lots of noise, instead of buffering and writing to disk in a sensible, less immediate way.

Are there any settings I'm not aware of that can assist me?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Do you have any monitored folders?  MB may be checking fit changes to files, if you have it set to detect changes at startup.

Regarding the downloads, you can change the number of simultaneous downloads allowed, in Preferences.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
you can disable "on startup check files updated or missing files" in the Library preferences - the wording is different in older MB versions

Zak

• Global Moderator
I'd also suggest that a "rather old" "shitty" hard drive making "unusually loud and clicky" noises shouldn't be relied upon to save anything important or not backed up elsewhere.

It sounds like it's on its death bed.
Bee excellent to each other...