Author Topic: Is there a way to assign search box a hotkey?  (Read 4866 times)

sjyzhxw

Hi everyone,

I am new to MusicBee and I find it really great!
I think that the search box is very useful, however, I am not satisfied with the fact that I need to click in the box every time to use it. I would like to know is it possible to make it more convenient by assigning it a hot key?

Thanks!

phred

• Global Moderator
I am new to MusicBee and I find it really great!
I think that the search box is very useful, however, I am not satisfied with the fact that I need to click in the box every time to use it. I would like to know is it possible to make it more convenient by assigning it a hot key?
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your request.  I don't see what a hotkey would accomplish since the search box is always on-screen.  It's one click to enter the box.  If you had a hotkey, you'd need to enter the hotkey and then move the cursor to the box (that's already visible) and click it.  Seems like that would take more keystrokes.  It doesn't make sense to me.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

find-the-pig

I guess he is asking for a HotKey to set the Focus ob the Searchbox. For Example: You Type Ctrl+F and type immediately your Search Query.

I don't know any possibility for that :/
greetz find-the-pig

phred

• Global Moderator
I guess he is asking for a HotKey to set the Focus ob the Searchbox. For Example: You Type Ctrl+F and type immediately your Search Query.

I don't know any possibility for that :/
Okay, I understand that, but I still don't see the point.  Again - two keystrokes (CTRL+F) to move the cursor?  When one click in the box gives you the focus.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

redwing

There's already a hotkey for that: "General: Go to Text Search Box".

find-the-pig

Sometimes you don't want to touch your Mouse and remain on your Keyboard .Especially on a Laptop.
So Pressing Ctrl+F and then typing your Search Query is a lot faster then moving your Hand to the Mouse and back :D
greetz find-the-pig

Zak

• Global Moderator
I don't see what a hotkey would accomplish since the search box is always on-screen.  It's one click to enter the box.

When one click in the box gives you the focus.

Sounds like you're a mouse person. As a keyboard person, anything that can be done without having to move one hand to the mouse (or trackpad) is much faster. It's one of MusicBee's few remaining shortcomings I hope can be addressed in version 3.
Bee excellent to each other...

phred

• Global Moderator
Sounds like you're a mouse person.
It's funny that you say that.  I never considered myself a mouse person until I started using MB.  I kept my hands on the keyboard and looked for every keyboard shortcut I could find.  I don't know what it was/is about MB that put me more on the mouse but I'm going to try to convert back to the keyboard.  I just printed out all the hotkeys from the Wiki and will keep that taped to the monitor until I get back to the keyboard.

My apologies to the OP as I now understand and accept the reason behind the request.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

sjyzhxw

What I am asking for is a hotkey that can set the focus on the search box.

sjyzhxw

Didn't notice that, I will check it out. Thanks.

sjyzhxw

Thank you a lot! It works like a charm!