Author Topic: How can I retrieve my embedded custom tags on another MB computer ?  (Read 1998 times)

Acoustics

Hello all,

I've two computers with MB. The libraries are independent for each computer but the music files are shared on a NAS.

1) On computer A, I've created 3 custom tags (humor, energy and complexity) in the upper section of the window "New Custom Tag Definition" (Preferences > Tags(1) > Define New Tags)

2) I want to write these tags in the files. I linked these tags for accessibility in MD. In Preferences > Tags(1) > Define New Tags again :
         display name      save to music file as tag
Custom 3   Humor            Humor
Custom 4   Energy            Energy
Custom 5   Complexity         Complexity

3) Then I have populated these tags in the Edit window for each track.

Now I Want to retrieve these tags on computer B.

4) I've recreated the tags in the New Custom Tag Definition (same as section 1)

5) Now I don't know what to do. As it is now, the custom tags don't appear in the Edit tags window. I guess I have to link the tags to custom 3, 4 and 5 on this computer too (same as part 2). But if I do that I guess my tags will be erased in the operation, won't they ? Because on this computer the tags custom 3, 4 and 5 are empty now, saved in the database only, and if I say to MB to save custom3, 4 and 5 to music file as tag humor, energy and complexity the values already in that tags will be overwritten with empty values. Yes ?

6) An idea was to copy the values of my tags in custom3, 4, 5 before doing the link operation, with the advanced tagging tools. But I can't because my tags doesn't appear in the menus of these tools...

Is there any solution other than erase my tags on computer B and recreate them in order to create the link ?

Hope I am quite clear..
Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:59:01 PM by Acoustics

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
5) Now I don't know what to do. As it is now, the custom tags don't appear in the Edit tags window. I guess I have to link the tags to custom 3, 4 and 5 on this computer too (same as part 2). But if I do that I guess my tags will be erased in the operation, won't they ? Because on this computer the tags custom 3, 4 and 5 are empty now, saved in the database only, and if I say to MB to save custom3, 4 and 5 to music file as tag humor, energy and complexity the values already in that tags will be overwritten with empty values. Yes ?

No, if you've defined the tags in "define new tags", then the first thing MB will do when you link them is rescan all files to import existing values.  But if you're concerned, you could make a backup first (which it never hurts to have, in any case)
Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:07:39 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Acoustics