Author Topic: CD Burning  (Read 26044 times)

zibeth

I have been looking for a replacement for MusicMatch Jukebox since 2007 and I have tried out at least a dozen programs - none of them offering the same kind of interface options and sorting features.  Then I found the link to your site - and I was extremely pleased.  It is very similar to MusicMatch and I really like the multiple sort option.  The only drawback for me is that I cannot burn cds from my library... This is a very important option to me and the standard burn software with XP is not a good option for burning music cds.  If there is any way you can add this feature on, it would make this program the ultimate music library organizer available.  Thanks for listening!  ;D

Creaulx

• Steadfastly Analogue
I have to agree.  I loved the old MusicMatch version 9 and this is the closest to that interface that I've found.  Good-looking, intuitive and fully featured without being ridiculously overwhelming like WinAmp.

Right now for encoding and ripping I'm using Illustrate's dB Poweramp - an amazing program with multi-core support, great tagging capabilities, ability to encode/decode FLAC, and in a fast user-friendly interface that you don't have to dig too deep into to find what you're looking for.  The more complex a program is, the less likely I am to ever come close to making use of the features, however good they are.  For example, Photoshop baffles the living hell out of me.  Perhaps I'm just a simpleton...   :-\

?Is there enough interest out there to make integrated CD burning a viable request?  Is it worth your time, Steven?  Could you partner with some other freeware to include it in your program?

Blinghound

I would have thought implementing a CD burning extension with all the features would be very time consuming, if made from scratch. Maybe a burn with external application option?

zord_majka

Well, I remembered I saw some extension for Total Commander lots of years ago that let you to burn from the app, so I checked it out. As I thought it used some Nero's libraries... after like 2 minutes on google I found out that foobar does the same - http://www.music-reviewed.com/guides.php?page=audio_cdr . IMHO this is not really cool/fair approach.

Well, zibeth, I guess if you want this feature in MB try to find some free dll that can be used... I can't talk for Steven, but this would help I guess.

I personally don't burn CD for years and years, but I can imagine lots of people will be pleased by it.
Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:49:10 PM by zord_majka

ferongr

The best way would be by dynamically linking Cdrtools against Musicbee. The Nero libraries are not free software, and cannot be redistributed. Cdrtools are robust, support everything under the sun and are actively maintained.

Adson

From my point of view CD-burning is not vital for MB.
There are a lot of top quality tools on the market for that purpose even in the freeware and open source corner.

I think it would be better to concentrate on the core features of MB if - what I guess is the case - Steven's time for developing is limited.

A.

jackuars

I second Adson. Its better to try out great Freewares for CD burning and enhanced stuff. Try ImgBurn for example.

bbutlerau

+1 for imgburn.... it works well and i know a few programs use it for a burning backend so its possible

ma_t14

Steven

• Administrator
if someone can tell me what parameters to call it with so a set of filenames can be burned i can easily add to musicbee

ma_t14

Here you go. The official readme with all supported cli switches:

|==================================|
| Program Name: | ImgBurn          |
| Author:       | LIGHTNING UK!    |

Supported Command Line Switches:

(You can get a basic version of this list via 'ImgBurn.exe /?')

/MODE <PICKER | READ | BUILD | WRITE | VERIFY | DISCOVERY>
   Used to tell the program which 'Mode' to open up in.

/BUILDINPUTMODE <STANDARD | ADVANCED>
   Used to tell the program which 'Build Input Mode' to open up in.
   Only applies to BUILD mode.

/BUILDOUTPUTMODE <DEVICE | IMAGEFILE>
   Used to tell the program which 'Build Output Mode' to open up in.

/SRC <Drive Letter | SCSI Address> | "<Folder Name>\" | "<File Name>" | ALLSECTORS | <Custom Number Of Sectors>
   Used to select the source drive or filename.
   Drive Letter or SCSI Address applies to READ and VERIFY modes.
   Folder Name applies to BUILD mode.
        File Name applies to BUILD and WRITE modes.
   ALLSECTORS applies to DISCOVERY mode.
   Custom Number Of Sectors applies to DISCOVERY mode.
   Examples: /SRC J:
        /SRC 1:0:0
        /SRC "C:\DVD_FILES\VIDEO_TS\"
        /SRC "C:\DVDIMAGE.ISO"
        /SRC "C:\BackupProject.IBB"
        /SRC ALLSECTORS
        /SRC 2295000

In BUILD mode, you can specify an '.IBB' file as the source.
   This is an 'ImgBurn Backup Project' file and is a simple text file containing the names of folders / files to add to the image, along with the various configuration options.
   The simplest way to find the correct syntax for an '.IBB' file is to have ImgBurn create one via the 'Save Project...' option in the 'File' menu, and then look at it in notepad.

In BUILD mode, you can specify multiple folders / files directly if you put a pipe character ('|') between them.
   Example: /SRC "C:\Folder1\|C:\Folder2\|C:\Document1.txt|C:\Document2.txt"

/SRCLIST "<File Name>"
   Used to specify a text file that represents a basic list of folders / files to be added to the 'Source' box.
   Example: /SRCLIST "C:\BackupList.txt"

/DEST <Drive Letter | SCSI Address> | "<File Name>"
   Used to select the filename or drive.
   Drive Letter or SCSI Address applies to BUILD, WRITE and DISCOVERY modes.
   File Name applies to READ, BUILD and VERIFY modes ('DEST' actually means 'Compare' here for VERIFY mode).
   Examples: /DEST J:
        /DEST 1:0:0
        /DEST "C:\DVDIMAGE.ISO"

When in READ mode, you can use '[DISC_LABEL]' | '[DATETIME]' | '[DATE]' | '[TIME]' (without quotes) anywhere in the file name specified with this switch, and the program will replace it with the appropriate value.
   When in BUILD mode, you can use '[DATETIME]' | '[DATE]' | '[TIME]' (without quotes) anywhere in the file name specified with this switch, and the program will replace it with the appropriate value.
   Examples: /DEST "C:\DVDIMAGES\[DISC_LABEL].ISO"
             /DEST "C:\DVDIMAGES\DailyBackup_[DATETIME].ISO"

/FILESYSTEM "<File System>"
   Used to change the value of the 'File System' drop down list.
   The parameter must match the value within the drop down list exactly.
   Examples: /FILESYSTEM "ISO9660"
        /FILESYSTEM "ISO9660 + Joliet"
        /FILESYSTEM "ISO9660 + UDF"

/UDFREVISION "<UDF Revision>"
   Used to change the value of the 'UDF Revision' drop down list.
   Examples: /UDFREVISION "1.02"
        /UDFREVISION "2.50"

/VOLUMELABEL "<Volume Label>"
   Used to set the value of the volume label fields.
   Length limits are automatically applied. i.e. 32 chars for ISO9660, 16 for Joliet, 126 for UDF.

To specify different volume labels for each file system, the following switches are also available:

/VOLUMELABEL_ISO9660 "<Volume Label>"
   /VOLUMELABEL_JOLIET "<Volume Label>"
   /VOLUMELABEL_UDF "<Volume Label>"

These will override what's been set (if anything) by the '/VOLUMELABEL' switch.

/SPEED <Write Speed>
   Used to change the value of the 'Write Speed' drop down list.
   Examples: /SPEED MAX
        /SPEED 1x
        /SPEED 2.4x (or 2,4x depending on regional settings)

/COPIES <Number Of Copies>
   Used to change the value of the 'Copies' drop down list.
   Only applies to WRITE mode.
   Example: /COPIES 2

/LAYERBREAK <LBA>
   Used to tell the program where to put the layerbreak.
   Only applies to WRITE and DISCOVERY modes and only when burning DVD+R DL discs.
        Example: /LAYERBREAK 2000000

/ERASE
   Used to automatically erase / format / overwrite media.

/OVERWRITE <YES | NO>
   Used to force the program to either overwrite all existing files, or never overwrite them.

/TESTMODE <YES | NO>
   Used to make the program simulate the burn - whereby no data is actually written to the disc.
   Basically, it just checks (or unchecks!) the 'Test Mode' box for you!

/VERIFY <YES | NO>
   Used to make the program verify a disc is readable after it has been burnt.
   Basically, it just checks (or unchecks!) the 'Verify after write' box for you!

/DELETEIMAGE <YES | NO>
   Used to make the program delete the image after it has been burnt.
   Basically, it just checks (or unchecks!) the 'Delete Image When Done' box for you!

/DELETESOURCE <YES | NO>
   Used to make the program delete the source files after they've been burnt.
   Only applies to BUILD mode. *** USE WITH CAUTION ***

/EJECT <YES | NO>
   Used to make the program eject the disc after it has been burnt.
   Basically, it just checks (or unchecks!) the 'Eject Tray When Done' box for you!

/START
   Used to start the burn process automatically when the program has finished initialising.
   Basically, it just presses the 'Build' / 'Write' / 'Verify' button for you!

/CLOSE
   Used to close the program when the burn process has finished.
   Basically, it just presses the 'Close' button for you!

/CLOSEINFO
   Used to close the program when the text file specified by '/INFO' has been created.

/CLOSESUCCESS
   Used to close the program when the burn process has finished AND was successful.

/SHUTDOWN
   Used to shutdown the computer when the program has finished burning.
   Basically, it just checks the 'Shutdown computer when done' box for you!

/WAITFORMEDIA
   Used in combination with /START and /CLOSE to wait until the program is 'Ready' to burn before trying to start.
   Normally, if the program isn't 'Ready', the /CLOSE switch causes the program to close without having done anything.

/IGNORELOCKVOLUME
   Used to make the program ignore any 'Access is denied' errors it might run into when it tries to lock the drive for exclusive access, meaning the burn can continue without user intervention.
   This is mainly for 3rd party applications that are unable to release any 'handles' that they might have open to the drive - thus preventing ImgBurn from obtaining the lock.

/NOIMAGEDETAILS
   Used to stop the program from displaying details about the image.

/ROOTFOLDER <YES | NO>
   Used to automate the 'Root Folder' prompt you get when only adding a single folder to the source list.

/CERTIFICATEFOLDER <YES | NO>
   Used to automate the 'Certificate Folder' prompt you get when a 'CERTIFICATE' folder is present at the same directory level as the BDAV/BDMV folder but hasn't been included.
   It will also override the 'Create CERTIFICATE Folder' option in the settings.

/PRESERVEFULLPATHNAMES <YES | NO>
   Basically, it just checks (or unchecks!) the 'Preserve Full Pathnames' box for you!

/RECURSESUBDIRECTORIES <YES | NO>
   Basically, it just checks (or unchecks!) the 'Recurse Subdirectories' box for you!

/INCLUDEHIDDENFILES <YES | NO>
   Basically, it just checks (or unchecks!) the 'Include Hidden Files' box for you!

/INCLUDESYSTEMFILES <YES | NO>
   Basically, it just checks (or unchecks!) the 'Include System Files' box for you!

/INCLUDEARCHIVEFILESONLY <YES | NO>
   Basically, it just checks (or unchecks!) the 'Include Archive Files Only' box for you!

/CLEARARCHIVEATTRIBUTE <YES | NO>
   Basically, it just checks (or unchecks!) the 'Clear Archive Attribute' box for you!

/BOOTEMUTYPE
   Basically, it just modifies the 'Emulation Type' field on the 'Advanced' -> 'Bootable Disc' tab for you!

/BOOTIMAGE
   Basically, it just modifies the 'Boot Image' field on the 'Advanced' -> 'Bootable Disc' tab for you!
   Only applies when the '/BOOTEMUTYPE' switch is also specified.

/BOOTDEVELOPERID
   Basically, it just modifies the 'Developer ID' field on the 'Advanced' -> 'Bootable Disc' tab for you!

/BOOTLOADSEGMENT
   Basically, it just modifies the 'Load Segment' field on the 'Advanced' -> 'Bootable Disc' tab for you!

/BOOTSECTORSTOLOAD
   Basically, it just modifies the 'Sectors To Load' field on the 'Advanced' -> 'Bootable Disc' tab for you!

/IBG "<File Name>"
   Used to make the program write the graph data to a file of the specified name after burning (or verifying if it's enabled).

/LOG "<File Name>"
   Used to make the program write the log to a file of the specified name when closing down.
   You can use '[DATETIME]' | '[DATE]' | '[TIME]' (without quotes) anywhere in the file name specified with this switch, and the program will replace it with the appropriate value.
   Example: /LOG "C:\ImgBurn Logs\DailyBackup_[DATETIME].log"

/LOGAPPEND
   When used in combination with '/LOG "<File Name>"', it will make the program try and append to the file rather than overwrite it.

/LOGHEADER
   When used in combination with '/LOG "<File Name>"', it will make the program add a header to the log showing the program version, date and time.
   It is recommended that this switch be used when creating a new log file that you will later append to via use of the '/LOGAPPEND' switch.   
        The same header is automatically added when using the '/LOGAPPEND' switch so this switch need not be specified.

/INFO "<File Name>"
   Used to make the program write the contents of the drive/media information window (on the right side of the main window) to a file of the specified name after full initialising the media.

/PORTABLE
   Used to make the program skip the sections where it would normally write file association / autoplay / shell extension data to the registry.
   When used in combination with '/SETTINGS "<File Name>"', you can make it so ImgBurn doesn't make any changes to the PC it's being run on. This is useful if you're running it from a USB pen etc.

/LANGID <Language Identifier>
   Used to tell the program which language to start up in. Values can be in decimal or hexadecimal formats. The appropriate '*.lng' file must exist in the 'Languages' folder.
   Example: /LANGID 0x0809
       /LANGID 2057
       Both of the above will cause the program to start with the GUI interface in the 'English (United Kingdom)' language.

/SETTINGS "<File Name>"
   Used to override loading the settings from the registry, and instead load from / save to the specified file.
   If the file does not exist, default settings will be used and the program will attempt to save to the specified file when it's closed.

Even if this switch is not specified, the program will attempt to load from 'ImgBurn.ini' in the application exe's directory BEFORE it loads from the registry.

/NOSAVESETTINGS
   Used to tell the program not to save ANY settings when it's closed.

THE END

Steven

• Administrator
i'm hoping someone can manually test the command line parameters. When i try this with ImgBurn on my drive my machine hangs every time so i cant really test this.

This is what i think the parameters could be:

ImgBurn.exe /MODE BUILD /BUILDOUTPUTMODE IMAGEFILE /SRCLIST "C:\List.txt" /DEST "C:\image.iso" /FILESYSTEM "ISO9660 + UDF" /UDFREVISION "1.02" /VOLUMELABEL "xxxxx" /START /WAITFORMEDIA /CLOSESUCCESS

ImgBurn.exe /MODE WRITE /SRC "C:\image.iso" /DEST H: /ERASE /DELETEIMAGE YES /START /CLOSESUCCESS

where SRCLIST is generated my MB for the files you select to be burned, FILESYSTEM and UDFREVISION selectable in the musicbee preferences,
DEST and VOLUMELABEL also entered into MB in the burning dialog.
I dont want to make it too fancy - it would just be to burn an entire disc (no inremental updates for example)

ma_t14

i'm hoping someone can manually test the command line parameters. When i try this with ImgBurn on my drive my machine hangs every time so i cant really test this.

This is what i think the parameters could be:

ImgBurn.exe /MODE BUILD /BUILDOUTPUTMODE IMAGEFILE /SRCLIST "C:\List.txt" /DEST "C:\image.iso" /FILESYSTEM "ISO9660 + UDF" /UDFREVISION "1.02" /VOLUMELABEL "xxxxx" /START /WAITFORMEDIA /CLOSESUCCESS

ImgBurn.exe /MODE WRITE /SRC "C:\image.iso" /DEST H: /ERASE /DELETEIMAGE YES /START /CLOSESUCCESS

where SRCLIST is generated my MB for the files you select to be burned, FILESYSTEM and UDFREVISION selectable in the musicbee preferences,
DEST and VOLUMELABEL also entered into MB in the burning dialog.
I dont want to make it too fancy - it would just be to burn an entire disc (no inremental updates for example)

I tested both commands and it works perfectly fine  ;D (running win xp sp3)

phred

• Global Moderator
Perhaps I'm being a little dense here, but could someone point me to where I should be entering these command line parameters?  Is it in MB, or at a command prompt?  Steven mentions that SRCLIST is generated by MB.  How?  Where?
He also mentions that DEST and VOLUMELABEL are entered into MB in the burning dialog.  Again, I can't find this in MB.
I'm using the latest beta - 1.2.3957

Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
it hasnt been done yet - ma_t14 was just testing with ImgBurn directly