Author Topic: Dead Files  (Read 20229 times)

undergroundatlas

In many of my albums there are doubles of the tracks, one works, one has a blue exclamation point next to it, the letters are grey (as opposed to black)  and when clicked on, error message reads"The source file for track 'example track' could not be found"  
My question is, is there a setting, mode, etc... something I can click on, to delete all these dead end files, or do I need to go through every album, track by track to delete these?
Any help would be very much appreciated,
Thanks
Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:36:40 PM by undergroundatlas

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think you can just rescan your library (File menu > Scan Folders for New Files or use hotkey Insert).  It should ask you if you want to remove missing files at the end.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
File > Scan Folders for New Files has become somewhat misleading, IMO.
There used to be an option, once this window opened, where you could select "remove dead links."  As psychoadept says, that dialog may now come after the scan is complete.  But I think it would better serve all uses (new, old, and forgetful) to have that option back at the start of the scan.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yeah, the name has never been clear.  Either it needs to be "Scan for New & Missing Files" or there should just be a separate function to the effect of "Remove Missing Links".

You can also use Tools > Tagging Tools > Other Filters > Show Dead Links, but I don't think anybody's just going to stumble on that one.  Plus I tend to stay away from those filters because they're not very functional.  (For this, it might actually be just the thing, since you're trying to update files, just remove them.)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

undergroundatlas

I've tried "Scan For New & Missing Files"   The latest version gives me a box to check at the beginning to "remove dead links", also tried "Tools > Tagging Tools > Other Filters > Show Dead Links"   but it said "no dead links", even though they are still riddled throughout my library...
and this is after I've deleted several of them several times, this s*** just keeps coming back, very frustrating...  :P
Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:41:16 PM by undergroundatlas

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Huh.  Are the problem files on a drive letter that's currently inaccessible?  MB will not flag files on inaccessible drives as missing, because many people have collections on removable drives that are not always accessible.

If that's not it, a screenshot of the message on one of the problem files, and the Properties page of one of its working duplicate might be helpful.
Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:59:41 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

phred

• Global Moderator
I've tried "Scan For New & Missing Files"   The latest version gives me a box to check at the beginning to "remove dead links"
Hmmm ... What version are you using?  Because the latest version of MB does not have "Scan for New & Missing Files." Nor does it have the 'remove dead links" option when you start the scan. 

You can get the most recent patch here:  http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_5/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip
Download, unzip, and replace existing files in your MB install folder.
I suggest confirming you have the latest version and then File > Scan Folders for New Files again.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
In the latest (2.5531) version, the option to re-scan all existing library files is now located at:
Tools> Advanced> Rescan All Files
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

phred

• Global Moderator
In the latest (2.5531) version, the option to re-scan all existing library files is now located at:
Does this prompt somewhere to delete dead links, or does it just do so during the rescan?  This appears to scan the entire library.
Doing the Scan for New Files from the File menu lets one choose the folders to scan.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Does this prompt somewhere to delete dead links, or does it just do so during the rescan?  This appears to scan the entire library.

It doesn't prompt, it's an automatic option as you are only re-scanning files already in the library - not adding new files.

Doing the Scan for New Files from the File menu lets one choose the folders to scan.

Yes, because it only looks for new files to add into the library.  It no longer scans files already existing in the library.  That's why there is no longer an option to remove dead links.

Don't forget you have the option to right-click> Send To> File Rescan  as well as scanning for updated or missing files  on startup in Preferences> Library.
Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:49:04 AM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

fusen

So just to confirm, there isn't a way to remove dead tracks from a library?

I purchased a new harddrive and removed the old drive all my music was on, moving multiple folders into one folder on the new drive, that means I now have a ludicrous amount of blue exclamation marked tracks.

I've tried every scanning/updating option mentioned in this thread or that I could find in the menus and nothing is removing the dead linked tracks.

This is a pretty basic feature tbh, it sounds like it used to be supported, so I'm not sure why it no longer is?

I'm using v2.5.5721

Alumni

In theory this option should remove dead links: "on startup check for updated and missing files", located in the library preferences.

phred

• Global Moderator

I purchased a new harddrive and removed the old drive all my music was on, moving multiple folders into one folder on the new drive, that means I now have a ludicrous amount of blue exclamation marked tracks.

I've tried every scanning/updating option mentioned in this thread or that I could find in the menus and nothing is removing the dead linked tracks.

This is a pretty basic feature tbh, it sounds like it used to be supported, so I'm not sure why it no longer is?

I'm using v2.5.5721
Tools> Advanced> Rescan All Files will (should) remove missing links.  You might want to update to the latest patch (2.5.5804) before rescanning.  See my sig for details.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
a quicker way is Tools/ Tagging Tools/ Files to edit/ Show dead links and then remove them

fusen

a quicker way is Tools/ Tagging Tools/ Files to edit/ Show dead links and then remove them

Seems to be the way to go, shame it's not automated. Thanks for the info though, as I've now removed all the dead tracks! So a result...

Tools> Advanced> Rescan All Files will (should) remove missing links.  You might want to update to the latest patch (2.5.5804) before rescanning.  See my sig for details.

I've installed the latest version you mentioned and the rescan option hasn't removed all dead tracks. It highlighted 3 albums that no longer exist and let me remove them, but I still have 3000+ tracks showing up with the blue exclamation marks. I don't get why it's only choosing a small subset of missing albums.

I've going to rescan it and see if it picks up another small batch.

In theory this option should remove dead links: "on startup check for updated and missing files", located in the library preferences.

I've had that ticked the entire time since I first installed MusicBee :/
Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:07:24 PM by fusen