Author Topic: Availability on the forum  (Read 21418 times)

Steven

• Administrator
With the changes for v3.0, there are a lot things to be done to implement the changes discussed. Because I do this in my spare time, I feel its going to be pretty much impossible for me to do that while still providing full support on the forum. I am keen to do these changes but it requires a lot of focus and time.
So what that means is over the next several weeks, I will spend a lot less time looking at issues or answering questions. To the regular forum readers, if you do find an issue that needs reporting, try and figure out as much information as you can before reporting it. Often issues involve special combinations of settings or very specific steps to reproduce.
I am undecided about when I will make the final v2.5 release available, because when i do so, based on past experience, it means an increase in new users and hence new problems or mis-understandings about how MusicBee works. I will probably let it sit for a few weeks.

klint

Yes, delaying 2.5 makes full sense :)
Yet, may I ask you a small thing? Could you please provide a zipped version with just the new files to be replaced, not an installer (as you do in the nightlies), in order to update portable versions? Thanks

redwing

My opinion is the sooner the release date, the better because there have been a lot of bug fixes and new features added. You used to have a few weeks of break right after every new release, so you could do the same this time while spending the time for v3.0. The forum should work fine without your frequent visits as long as you keep monitoring.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Maybe somebody should sticky this until 3.0 is released?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator

Steven

• Administrator
I am going to keep a list of the things I am doing for v3.0 and have acheived to date:
- rebuilt most of the core controls used in MusicBee eg. the list grids, panels, tree structure controls etc for better scaling, colour support and the graphics should perform better with less flickering
- skinned scrollbar handling is now built in "from the ground up" which will make it much easier for me to add new panels that require scrollbars
- also (not tested yet) touch handling for the scrollbars should work
- popup scrollbar and narrower scrollbars are now supported
- for list grids, i have built my own rather than using the one that comes with .NET. This had allowed me to address some of the selection and keyboard handling quirks of the current grids, and remove the hacks i had to build in
- also not tested properly yet, scrolling should hopefully be less "jerky" (not promising that with the artwork layout though)
- for tree controls (such as the left navigator) the control itself now supports multiple node selections
- by doing all this i have eliminated quite a few GUI quirks and hopefully not introduced new quirks!
- as i am going through the various controls i will look to improve the scaling for images (ie. make them look sharper and proportionate for the screen resolution) where practical
- elimated a lot of duplicated functionality in the various player control panels - this will make future enhancements easier

There is still a load to do and I still havent fully started looking at the changes discussed in the v3 GUI topic, but all the changes to date are laying the foundations
Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 11:31:59 AM by Steven

Zak

• Global Moderator
That list might might not look exciting to users expecting a bunch of new "features", but I think building your own controls tailored to MusicBee's needs is an awesome way to start planning for future versions. I'm looking forward to seeing what MusicBee 3 will bring, however long it takes. :)
Bee excellent to each other...

Steven

• Administrator
at this stage it is just "under-the-hood" stuff but as mentioned its laying the foundations for the v3 changes and its necessary in order to keep musicbee maintainable and non-bloated going forward

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
*thumbs up*

I'm a fan of making everything run smoother.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
non-bloated going forward
There are many great reasons to use MusicBee, but this is really appreciated.  And usually not seen in music players/managers.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Pingaware

That list of stuff is some seriously impressive work Steven. Really looking forward to the new version. Now feels about the right time to once again thank you for all the work you put in.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

jackuars

Have you ever thought about working as a team on MusicBee? I reckon you are the sole developer, but the way I see it, there are plenty of talented programmers around here. Maybe it will help to reduce the work load, introduce more ideas etc etc.  Am not asking to make MB Open Source.

vpsaxman

non-bloated going forward
There are many great reasons to use MusicBee, but this is really appreciated.  And usually not seen in music players/managers.

This will make everyone's life easier in the long run. Sometimes you have to build back some things from scratch to allow moving forward. Great attitude.

Have you ever thought about working as a team on MusicBee? I reckon you are the sole developer, but the way I see it, there are plenty of talented programmers around here. Maybe it will help to reduce the work load, introduce more ideas etc etc.  Am not asking to make MB Open Source.

I think this was already asked in the past and if I remember well, he had and he'd rather not. ;)

Steven

• Administrator
Just a small update on this. Progress is still slower than i was expecting so it might/ probably will be July now before its ready.

At this point I am still getting MusicBee back to its original state but with the right building blocks in place to do the planned GUI enhancements.
I do want to say that I am really pleased with whats been done so far and I think many people will see improvements in performance (memory usage and GUI rendering performance). Also the changes have really simplied the code so introducing changes going forward should be a lot easier than they would have been. So even if things are getting done a little slower than expected I still think this exercise has been worth it.

I also want to thank the forum members who have been helping out answering problems reported on the forum. Its been really helpful to be able to focus on doing the changes

Pingaware

Good to hear you're happy with what's been done. And don't worry too much about the time - all the regular users are happy to wait, I'm sure. We're just glad we can help out with dealing with as many problems as possible for you.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.