Author Topic: Marking any Podcast Episode as Listened to?  (Read 4691 times)

deanoman

I would be wonderful if we could mark any podcast as listened to. Currently it is a disabled menu item for most cases.

s4zando

It would be nice to be able to *permanently* flag a particular podcast episode as having been "listened to" and keep that flag until (if ever) it is unmarked.

It's gets rather confusing after listening to a lot of different podcasts/episodes as to whether I have actually listened to a particular episode or not. (I tend to skip around and cherry pick interview episodes on podcasts such as "Rolling Stone Music Now")

This would simply require that a flag be set that indicates that the podcast as been listened to and that it has been deleted (or just that the file is no loner stored locally). This would also open the ability of marking a podcast as having been listened to, even tho it has never been downloaded.

I'm open to clarify, questions, comments, and concerns.

Thanks much!

./s4z
Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 01:26:10 PM by s4zando

Steven

• Administrator
are you aware that you can right click a podcast/ Mark as Listened
If you are, how does this request differ?

Spiron

Marking only works on episodes that have already been downloaded.  I recently added a podcast that was over 100 episodes in and it decided to download them all because my setting is "Download all new episodes".  As I also listen to a podcast which is over 300 episodes in it might be inconvenient to have all those episodes download if someone were to add it new

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm currently having this problem, too. I borked my subscriptions flie by accident and had to readd the subscriptions, one of which has almost 1000 hour-long episodes. I had about 200 left, and it let me drag and drop the files in, but then it proceeded to try to download all the rest again, which would be a huge data suck AND completely confuse which ones I've already listened to.

This also didn't help: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28728.msg159786#msg159786

Currently the only solution is to tell MusicBee not to download the podcast at all, so you have to do all your downloads manually.

I think there should be an option like "only download future episodes" when you first add the subscription.

Update: no, it was having some kind of issue and even after trying to delete the subscription again, it wouldn't stop downloading. The only thing that would stop it was to delete the subscriptions.dat file along with downloads.dat. (Also, another subscription had the files deleted even though i definitely said "remove subscription only".)

Gonna take this to bug reports now: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28841.0
Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 10:53:32 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Bizy

I think there should be an option like "only download future episodes" when you first add the subscription.

+1

(had the same issue - I moved the download folder to a disk with more space, and waited it out... 40+GB (!) of redundant downloads... removing the *.dat-files didn't help...)

I would be wonderful if we could mark any podcast as listened to. Currently it is a disabled menu item for most cases.

Don't understand what this means though. There's an option 'Mark as listened' and for me it's never disabled...?

Problem is:  the episode is not just marked, it disappears (without being removed) from the 'All subscriptions' list ánd the subfolder list.  So when I want to listen to it again, I need to search for the specific subscription (which can be time consuming).  So my request would be:  simply marking the episode, not visually removing it (when using 'Mark as listened').
Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

phred

• Global Moderator
+1
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

rudolph

I have a similar question, I don't download podcasts, but listen them remotely.

Right now there are 2 options, add ratings column and add rating for the podcast you listened, another way is to add highlight column and add rules to highlight every podcast you listen.

fjelsten

I would like to see some changes here as well.

Moving over from MediaMonkey, I had to first download several GBs of podcasts in order to mark them read.

You need to be able to mark non-downloaded podcasts as read (multi select in the feed would do the trick). And add some, only download unread podcasts

bobonthecouch

Okay, mypologize... I'm new here and hope I'm not breaking protocol but, it seems this issue hasn't been resolved yet. While the crux is apparently the same, the specifics are not.

The problem I have, and others as well, is with older podcasts that may have several hundred episodes avaialble on the feed. If I start downloading episodes and listen to them I have 2 (practical) choices...
A. Mark as listened but leave them on my hard drive.
2. Delete them, in which case I have no way of knowing whether they've ever been downloaded or listend to.

The all or nothing d/l can take forever and consume huge amounts of storage space. I will concede the manual d/l in order to manage space but, I need to know I'm not re-d/l-ing episodes I've previously heard. I'm not addle-brained but, it can be difficult to remember which episode I last listened to out of a dozen podcasts that consist of hundreds of episodes each.

Is it that difficult to create a permanent "played" tag that will remain after the episode is deleted? I believe iTunes can do it. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Again, mypologize.)

Steven

• Administrator
I have changed v3.4 to allow non-downloaded files to me marked as listened. MB will treat these files are downloaded/ listened and deleted so they wont get downloaded by the automated download settings. You can still manually download these files