Author Topic: Add new organized music files automatically from music library folder/autorescan  (Read 5507 times)

Hrum

Hi!

MusicBee is handsdown the best player... ever.
Well I have a question I have not been able to find an answer to:

How to have MusicBee automatically just add new files/songs in the organized library folder to the library? 

The thing is, I am using MusicBee from different computers in the local network, while Music folder is on a networked drive/share.
I have rules enabled (and run some manually) from 1st computer where MusicBee organizes all new files (possibly through Inbox), but then I run MB from the 2nd computer which does not recognize new files have been added to the music folder.

It is difficult to then manually select only these new files and add them to the library.
Or to possibly copy library settings files from 1st to 2nd computer.
Or having MB watching for any changes to this default Music folder.
Or any other option I could think of...

Is it possible for MB to just add new, already organized files, in the Music folder without running rules, having duplicated entries etc.?

Perhaps different settings for different monitored folders would work?

I hope this is not too weird a setup so other users will find use for this answer too..

Thanks!

Zak

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure why you would need to do anything on the second PC except create its own library and point it to the folder with your organised music in it.

By default MusicBee won't apply naming rules etc. to new files, but you will probably need to change your Library settings to add new files directly to the Library instead of the Inbox.
Bee excellent to each other...

redwing

Another approach you might want to consider is to place music library on the same network drive as music files and share the same database from every machine.

Hrum

I'm not sure why you would need to do anything on the second PC except create its own library and point it to the folder with your organised music in it.

By default MusicBee won't apply naming rules etc. to new files, but you will probably need to change your Library settings to add new files directly to the Library instead of the Inbox.

Simple - sometimes I'm on 1st other times on 2nd computer, adding new music files to the library.
If there is any "supported" or "the right way" to use MusicBee on different computers interchangeably, it would be fantastic to know.

@redwing:
Yes, could work, but when running from two computers at the same time... some file sharing issues could occur.

I have tried (semi-manually) syncing the database or even the MusicBee folder between computers, but while it looks to be ok in most regards, I really would not want to mess up the library - which is very possible in many ways, with automatic rules for example...

One question though, if I may:
If I set MB to monitor 2 folders for new files:
1. "regular" inbox destination
2. actual already sorted "main library" folder

Will MB take files from the already sorted "library" folder and just leave them, or put them in the same folder again, with no problem?
For example, running some rules again could mess things up.

Thanks for your responses!

If I understand correctly, right now, there actually is no "clean" solution for this.
Well, MusicBee still has every feature and function one could wish for!

Bee well.  :)

redwing

One question though, if I may:
If I set MB to monitor 2 folders for new files:
1. "regular" inbox destination
2. actual already sorted "main library" folder

Will MB take files from the already sorted "library" folder and just leave them, or put them in the same folder again, with no problem?

If you have set the new files' destination to inbox, then they will remain in their original location unless you have set up some "sweep and organize" rules. If new files are set to library, then they will either move (auto-organization) or stay (no auto) depending on the setting.

Hrum

I truly want to make it as simple as possible, however automatically is just not reliable.

It may be a weird bug what just happened:

1. I have added and organized 3 new music files on 1st computer (files found in monitored folder, edited tags and moved to organized libary folder) .
2. On the 2nd computer MusicBee recognized these 3 new music files (via monitored library folder), put them in inbox, and I manually added them to library (send to-).
3. Then on the 1st computer these 3 "duplicates" (not really duplicate files at all) were found, MusicBee put them in inbox, with "file not found" errors displayed (MB was expecting them one folder higher in the folder hierarchy). No rules were run or anything.

Now this is what I was trying to solve in the first place.
I still think some simple additional per-location settings for monitoring+sweeping would take care of this.

@Redwing: Thanks, will try to find some working solution.

redwing

I think the problem basically arises from the areas MB doesn't support: simultaneous access to the shard files from multiple machines. It should be working fine if that's not simultaneous, right?

I don't know, but you could try with exactly same folder structure for MB program and library folder for both machines. Also check what happens if new files are set to send to library for either or both machines.

Hrum

@Redwing: I already have exactly same folder structure for MB program and library folder for both machines.  :)
I am still working out how exactly it works in each particular situation.
When and how rules, whether organization or tagging (search and replace), are auto run is not 100% clear and reliable.

By all accounts, MB is awesome.
Because I would like to set up things once and then leave it to do things automatically as much as possible,
adding some small options in the direction I have described could do a LOT to get there.

Thanks!