Author Topic: Half of my library shows no artist/title or any metadata and is corrupt  (Read 3787 times)

musicguy

I recently took all my files from iTunes on a mac computer and imported them to my PC with MusicBee but unfortunately over half the files show no artist or track name and when I click to play it says the file is corrupted or not supported. Some are WAVs but others are just mp3s, how does this happen? None of them are purchased through iTunes or anything like that, anyone know what the deal is?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The first thing I would do is check if they're read-only.  That sometimes causes problems with metadata.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
i am not aware of any bugs where the read-only status of files would affect import (or anything else for that matter, including editing with the latest 2.5 version).
You dont say how the files were loaded to your PC for musicbee to access (shared drive perhaps) but to me thats the most obvious thing thats gone wrong. Check the files with the tag inspector or another tagging tool to see if the file and tags as accessed from your PC are infact all ok. You can PM me a link to one of the mp3 files if you like so i can confirm the file structure

musicguy

Sorry I got it! They were def read only I think, 4kb files that I didn't need.

Steven

• Administrator
can you be clear please. Are you saying that the problem files were read-only and to solve the problem you had to un-mark the read-only status so the files imported correctly?

musicguy

I'm not sure what the actual files were, I was moving my iTunes library from a mac over to a PC running MusicBee. The mac had 305gbs of songs, but when I dragged the songs over on an external drive and then to MusicBee, it read as over 350gbs. I deleted all the 4kb files that had no metadata, track/artist name, and the size was back to 305 gigs. I'm not exactly sure what files they were.

Does that help?

Steven

• Administrator
i just want to stop this myth that importing read-only files causes a problem to musicbee

musicguy

Oh yeah I totally get ya, I think it's more of a mac to PC issue than anything.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
i just want to stop this myth that importing read-only files causes a problem to musicbee

Sorry, I was operating on out of date info.  I think I'm caught up now.  :)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)