Author Topic: Library filters  (Read 2600 times)

romney_yw

I use filters quite a lot for examining & cross-checking my tag data. I find I have a number of filters set up which are almost identical, save for the target value (e.g. Rating = 2stars, Rating = 3stars, Rating = 4 stars).

I keep hoping for a dummy value to put into the filter definition, which would pop open a dialog box when the filter is applied, so that I could enter the specific value I'm looking for. (e.g. Rating = ? and I supply 2, 3 or 4 as required).

The Rolls-Royce version would provide a drop-down list in the dialog prompt which is based on the data already in the database, so that the value for the filter could simply be selected. It would probably need to allow for a value to be entered as well, so that a filter such as Title starts with ? could be used to find all titles beginning with "Blue", rather than looking specifically for "Blue Moon" or "Blues In The Night".

I appreciate that this might be tricky to implement for more sophisticated filters, but if it was possible only for one field in a filter, it would simplify my filter maintenance quite significantly.

Roadrunner

romney_yw

Thanks for your suggestion, but I already use the column browser a great deal for the things that it is good at (Genre, Album, Artist etc.) I have only recently realised that you can make multiple selections in each column which increases its usefulness quite a bit. In reality, I do actually use the column browser to filter by Rating, but that was a simple example intended to help illustrate what I am requesting.

I use filters for rather more sophisticated searches (Title starts with Black, Composer contains Carmichael, etc.) which the column browser is not designed to do. And with only 6 columns available, I'd have to constantly re-assign the displayed columns.....

A lot of what I'm looking for could also be done using the search facility, including typing the target value into the box, or selecting a value from the database. However, multiple field searches cannot be stored for later and regular re-use - which is exactly what a filter provides.

I stand by my original request - this facility would simplify my filter maintenance quite significantly.