Author Topic: GUI changes for v3.0  (Read 1232932 times)

Steven

• Administrator
fixes for the above and improved skin support (more to be done)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/hwh28nm8k6ahp2s/MusicBeeDemo.zip
unzip into the musicbee application folder and run MusicBee3.exe

Hi. My Asus touchpad doesen't work at all.  Using MB version posted today.  When I connect an usb-mouse, it works fine.
Sorry if this was reported earlier.
did it work with v2.5?

Actually, it's only partially resolved. Skipping a track does not cause it's occurrence any more. Going to another application and back apparently also triggers the glitch. And I think there is yet another trigger (it occurred once while I did not switch focus to another program) but I am not sure what it might be.
i cant reproduce this. A couple of versions ago i did put in something to address this when MB is deactivated or reactivated and that completely fixes it for me. What action are you using to switch applications?

9ido

i cant reproduce this. A couple of versions ago i did put in something to address this when MB is deactivated or reactivated and that completely fixes it for me. What action are you using to switch applications?

It happens both with alt+tab or a click on the taskbar, and also when another app takes the focus (for instance after starting up.)

I haven't really paid attention to it, but the search bar keeps some blue-grey lines once the issue has occurred, until it's restarted. It looks like this,

Not sure if that's going to help much... anything else I can do?

9ido

Downloaded the latest version from the previous post while I was typing my last reply, and after a restart I fail to reproduce the search box glitch. Strange. (Before that I was on the latest regular version, not the debug.)

[EDIT] after tinkering around for quite a while, I did get the same effect as the image in my previous post. But no bluegreyed-out box!

[EDIT2] And.. it's back. Took me a long while switching windows, but it's still there. What I did was switching windows, switching tabs, playing with input in the box itself, clearing it with x, while playing some music.. kept doing these things for a while and then it happened (while the focus was on another app.) I am not sure what triggers it, and why it did not trigger sooner this time in the first place, except that switching windows seems an essential ingredient. Before I could just produce the glitch at will every time.
Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 10:55:51 PM by 9ido

lizzy

Hi. My Asus touchpad doesen't work at all.  Using MB version posted today.  When I connect an usb-mouse, it works fine.
Sorry if this was reported earlier.
did it work with v2.5? [/quote]

Yes, it works fine in 2.5.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Syncing a virtual device by playlist, when you remove a playlist the files are deleted, but the playlist itself is not deleted.

---

I just figured out how to access the new Playlist Manager.  Is there a way to collapse the folders that I'm not seeing? 
Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 03:53:39 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
I just figured out how to access the new Playlist Manager.  Is there a way to collapse the folders that I'm not seeing? 
Where is this?
What is this?
Although I assume once I find out where, I can figure out what.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Where is this?
What is this?
Although I assume once I find out where, I can figure out what.

You have to have the left sidebar hidden.  Then when you auto-open it, the Playlist Manager is listed under Playlists.  If there's another way to turn it on, I haven't found it.  It's basically a simplified version of the navigation sidebar.

Oh, here's another issue: when the Playlist Manager is open and the Open/Close sidebar buttons are active, the leftside bar shows the "close" button and if you click it nothing happens. I suppose that's so you can't reopen the left sidebar with the playlist manager active, but it seems like you should be able to click it and switch them or something.  It should at least give info on why it's not working.

Edit: On further review, I think the Playlist Manager should be incorporated into the layout settings just like all the other browsers and sidebar elements.  As it stands now, it's a weird "hidden" feature that doesn't work like any of the other navigation features, which makes it confusing and unpredictable.  Instead, it could be a mutually exclusive layout option with the left navigator, which is basically how it functions.  
Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:45:20 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

A suggestion:

Would it be possible for v3 not to have two separate editions for the fully installed vs. the portable version?
So only one edition that at executing presents you the option to create a portable install?

Steven

• Administrator
Edit: On further review, I think the Playlist Manager should be incorporated into the layout settings just like all the other browsers and sidebar elements.  As it stands now, it's a weird "hidden" feature that doesn't work like any of the other navigation features, which makes it confusing and unpredictable.  Instead, it could be a mutually exclusive layout option with the left navigator, which is basically how it functions.  
the reasons its implemented the way it is and not as an element in the panel layout dialog:
- elements in the layout panel are permanently displayed, excepting that certain elements/ panels can be overriden by hiding in a tab or view
- its only intended for when the left sidebar is collapsed and you cant access the navigator and as implemented replaces where the navigator would have been if the left sidebar isnt collapsed
- for new users, on the first startup "Playlists" will be one of the default tabs

I knew i would get this reaction and perhaps there is room for improvement to make it discoverable, but as mentioned its really only needed when the left sidebar is collapsed which will be the default for new users so it will be visible to select as a node when adding new tabs

Steven

• Administrator
Would it be possible for v3 not to have two separate editions for the fully installed vs. the portable version?
So only one edition that at executing presents you the option to create a portable install?
in fact there is only one MB application version, its only the install scipt thats different. I guess the install script could be modified so it provides the choice

ChristopherE

This is the first time I have tried the demo. Maybe I am missing something but the back and forward buttons on the mouse do not seem to work in version 3.

Looks good, but will take some getting used to. I will miss the feature of double clicking the album or artist pictures to get them in a large floating screen.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
the reasons its implemented the way it is and not as an element in the panel layout dialog:
- elements in the layout panel are permanently displayed, excepting that certain elements/ panels can be overriden by hiding in a tab or view
- its only intended for when the left sidebar is collapsed and you cant access the navigator and as implemented replaces where the navigator would have been if the left sidebar isnt collapsed
- for new users, on the first startup "Playlists" will be one of the default tabs

I knew i would get this reaction and perhaps there is room for improvement to make it discoverable, but as mentioned its really only needed when the left sidebar is collapsed which will be the default for new users so it will be visible to select as a node when adding new tabs

At the very least there needs to be a way to toggle the playlist manager off and on like you can other elements.  And the obvious place for that is the layout settings.  There are no other navigation elements that have to be opened or closed by navigating to a different library location.

If I navigate to a playlist from the playlist manager, I should be able to turn off the playlist manager without navigating away from that playlist.  That's not possible. 

Music node should behave the same in the playlist manager as it does without it, but that's not true either.  I can't tell if there's a filter applied, or change the filter.  If I navigate to the music node within the playlist manager, I expect to also be in music node in the left sidebar. So with the playlist manager there are effectively two music nodes (inboxes, etc), and no indication of the relationship between them.

Once I "close" the playlist manager by navigating away, I don't expect it to come back when I use the navigation keys. Which is exactly what happens.

And if a new user wants to turn the playlist manager off or on, where are they most likely to look? The same place you turn off and on all the other sidebars and navigation elements.

The fact it's only needed/displayed if the left sidebar is collapsed seems like it could easily be handled in the layout manager. In fact, I think that would make it much easier for users to figure out the relationship between them, and why the navigator can't be opened when the playlist manager is there.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
Looks good, but will take some getting used to. I will miss the feature of double clicking the album or artist pictures to get them in a large floating screen.
it should be supported so can you be specific where you are refering to

ChristopherE

The track information panel in 2.5 has an album cover and artist picture (in the bottom panel). I can double click on these and it opens the picture/cover in a floating window. In version 3 only the album cover is shown and it can no longer be opened by double clicking it. I can only get the artist picture now to display in the left library panel in the main player view.

Steven

• Administrator
The track information panel in 2.5 has an album cover and artist picture (in the bottom panel). I can double click on these and it opens the picture/cover in a floating window. In version 3 only the album cover is shown and it can no longer be opened by double clicking it. I can only get the artist picture now to display in the left library panel in the main player view.
are you refering to the bar that displays at the bottom of the main panel?
I'm a bit confused by the statement about the artist picture. There is now a separate element for artist picture. You can place that in any of the panels, except the main panel. If you are refering to the artist picture that used to display in the now playing bar, yes i have removed it from that panel

edit:
i have added in double click support for the album cover in the now playing bar
and also added in the 5-button mouse support which was missing
I will post an updated version later
Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 06:26:49 PM by Steven