Author Topic: GUI changes for v3.0  (Read 1233318 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
That's very, very cool Steven.  My initial quick test shows that when selecting to show "Top Tracks by Rating" tracks that begin with ( are listed before other tracks with the same rating.  In other words, both (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction and Angie are rated with 5 stars, but (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction is listed before Angie.  MB needs to ignore parenthesis.  I believe it should also ignore whatever the user has configured to ignore in Tags (2).

Thanks
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

8keep

Hi, I'm new here, but ive used musicbee 2 for a while now. I tried downloading the 3 preview build and I unzip the file and launch the MusicBee3.exe. I click next for English language, and then an error occurs.
Here is a screenshot of what happens:
http://i.imgur.com/USkYrUX.png

It is weird because it also opens up notepad with nothing in it, as you can see in the screenshot. Is there a log or something else I can post?

phred

• Global Moderator
I think you would only get that language prompt if you did not install MB3 per Steven's instructions.  Did you unzip MB3 into the existing MB2 folder?  That's where it belongs.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

8keep

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yep, sidebar player is fixed!

I've had a recurring problem that well precedes 3.0, but I've never been able to pin it down.  Sometimes, after I've been doing *something* with playlists or filters that use custom views, the "no filter" filter will mysteriously switch to the view I've been using in another node.  I've seen it happen a few times in 3.0, too.  Can you suggest anything that I might be able to test specifically as the cause?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Alumni

Great to see another new feature, I'm still trying it out.

Is "similar artists" fetching this information from Xbox Music? The results could be more accurate, are other providers available?
I personally have no need for "top tracks" but it would be useful to have the artist biography shown in the panel.

Edit: A small bug to report, using the "music explorer" node overrides my panel settings when returning to the main panel, specifically the second field displayed is set at 50% contrast.
Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:34:04 AM by Alumni

Steven

• Administrator
Is "similar artists" fetching this information from Xbox Music? The results could be more accurate, are other providers available?
I personally have no need for "top tracks" but it would be useful to have the artist biography shown in the panel.
similar artists is from last.fm and matches tracks in your library with the same artist name.
"View More Artists >" uses the same similarity list and includes artists also on Xbox music
edit:
I have also updated the download link to fix the contrast setting bug
Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:39:34 AM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
One thing i have put off until now is the logic to upgrade v2.5 settings to utilise the new panel arrangement settings. On looking at this in detail, its going to be very hard to figure out how to do it correctly as there are some quite subtle things involved with various combinations of settings. I might get it right for some cases, in others i wont.

So I have decided not to do it on the basis that arranging the layout is now quite easy in my opinion. I guess there will be some people annoyed by that but i will make it clear in the upgrade installer that panel arrangement settings will be lost and need to be re-applied. It wont hurt that people see the new layout choices. The settings within each panel should be carried across (thats already done in the current demo version), so that means things like the fields displayed in the main panel, track info panel etc will be upgraded.

Also with any changes to the GUI there will always be a small portion of people who like things exactly the way things were so there will probably be complaints on the forum anyway. For myself, i am generally really pleased with the way the GUI works now and find using v2.5 not as intuitive but perhaps i am biased!
Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:38:45 AM by Steven

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
So I have decided not to do it on the basis that arranging the layout is now quite easy in my opinion. I guess there will be some people annoyed by that but i will make it clear in the upgrade installer that panel arrangement settings will be lost and need to be re-applied. It wont hurt that people see the new layout choices. The settings within each panel should be carried across (thats already done in the current demo version), so that means things like the fields displayed in the main panel, track info panel etc will be upgraded.

I think that's a good idea.  Sure, some people will grumble, but it will mean users will immediately see the new layout possibilities from the start.

I am already using a different layout in 3.0 than I do in 2.5, and finding it difficult using the old, much loved 2.5 layout I had tweaked to my satisfaction after using the 3.0 one  :'(
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Alumni

For myself, i am generally really pleased with the way the GUI works now and find using v2.5 not as intuitive but perhaps i am biased!

Same here. For me v3.0 is more pleasurable to use on a daily basis, I'm glad you decided to go ahead with this big update.

phred

• Global Moderator
similar artists is from last.fm and matches tracks in your library with the same artist name.
"View More Artists >" uses the same similarity list and includes artists also on Xbox music
edit:
I have also updated the download link to fix the contrast setting bug

This update also appears to have fixed the sorting issue related to the Music Explorer that I mentioned here:
In other words, both (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction and Angie are rated with 5 stars, but (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction is listed before Angie.  MB needs to ignore parenthesis.  I believe it should also ignore whatever the user has configured to ignore in Tags (2).

But this is still unresolved:
I have the Playing Tracks panel at the bottom of the Main Panel.  I find that when I do List > Clear List the entire list clears as expected.  But when I close and then reopen MB one (and only one) of the tracks that was in the Playing Tracks list reappears.  I've also tried placing the NP panel in the left sidebar and the right sidebar and I get the same behavior.  
EDIT:  I think I've narrowed it down to the track that was last played is the track that reappears after close/open.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
But this is still unresolved:
I have the Playing Tracks panel at the bottom of the Main Panel.  I find that when I do List > Clear List the entire list clears as expected.  But when I close and then reopen MB one (and only one) of the tracks that was in the Playing Tracks list reappears.  I've also tried placing the NP panel in the left sidebar and the right sidebar and I get the same behavior.  
EDIT:  I think I've narrowed it down to the track that was last played is the track that reappears after close/open.
thats the way its been since the beginning of MB. I guess its debatable but the reason is the track in the player controls panel is considered queued for playback

phred

• Global Moderator
thats the way its been since the beginning of MB. I guess its debatable but the reason is the track in the player controls panel is considered queued for playback
OK, I can accept that reasoning.  But what's odd, is that when I first "discovered" this behavior in 3, I tried it in v2.5 and upon relaunching, 2.5's Now Playing panel remained cleared.  Trying it out now, 2.5 behaves the same as 3.  So I'll just leave this alone.  Thanks for the explanation.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm working in Track Details view in 3.0.5783.  The tracks I'm working with have not yet been brought into my Library.  The right sidebar is set to Track Info (Selected) on top and Lyrics (Selected) under that.  I select four tracks and put the cursor in the lyrics section.  I then right-click in the Lyrics panel and get an unexpected error.  I'm pretty sure this is a recently introduced bug as I used this method before in 3.x to mark tracks as having no lyrics.
Code
MusicBee v3.0.5783.13679 (Win6.1), 1 Nov 2015 13:21:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at #=qHXXlLGCoZs0aLnyxqeCOviY2j7z10NE58XYUJhyRNOk=.OnMouseClick(MouseEventArgs #=qDbilhWlLPArGitOENOFq7g==)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at #=qwqLi3lpy2ba5s96e5lH93sP50DKVVRtFmTBw9twAAGc=.WndProc(Message& #=qGr1G3CIqPT1oYeXAhGhrcw==)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

EDIT:  I can right-click on any other panel and no error is thrown.

EDIT2:  This appears to only happen if more than one track is selected.  Select one track and there is no error.
Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:49:56 PM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki