Author Topic: GUI changes for v3.0  (Read 1233465 times)

Zak

• Global Moderator
.... how or where the database file is saved is irrelevant.

You really mean that? I disagree completely with that statement.
If you remove the context of Music Player and iTunes, I disagree with it too. My point is that millions more people are using those programs just fine without knowing where the database file is, and there must be a reason for that. Regardless, that's getting off-topic for this thread.

Where are you thinking the distinction needs to be made? Do you mean for the sake of explaining things on the forum, or in the program itself? Quickly looking at the menus and preferences now, I can't see where it would make things any clearer having two terms instead of one, with the possible exception of the "Move Library" button.

When necessary, I think I usually refer to the "Library Folder" on the forum...
Bee excellent to each other...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Rather than what they're called (and there's nothing wrong with the term Library), maybe the question to ask is "Why do MusicBee users care so much about where the database file is?".

Are MusicBee users just more technically savvy and more likely to do things like moving libraries between drives, than iTunes users? I can't imagine the same questions get asked about Media Player and iTunes - people just add their tracks and how or where the database file is saved is irrelevant.

A) yes, MusicBee users are likely to be more personally engaged with the back end of their music manager. They've already taken the extra step of seeing out an alternative to wmp/iTunes So they care enough to be dissatisfied with those.

B) even when I was using iTunes I made regular backups of my iTunes database. Until/unless MB has a built-in way to restore from its own backups and delete additional libraries, it matters

Edit: whoops, I got sidetracked from my post for a while and missed out the discussion...
Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 06:58:07 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
...with the possible exception of the "Move Library" button.

When necessary, I think I usually refer to the "Library Folder" on the forum...

I agree with you about "Move Library", which only moves MB's files.  That's the most confusing part.  Maybe it could say "Move library databases" (even saying "library files" doesn't make it clear whether you mean music files or not).
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
I absolutely agree the Move Library wording needs to be improved, along with making auto-organise enable even more obvious what the behavior will be than it already is. For the Move Library, keep in mind it does move music files that are located in a sub-folder of the musicbee database folder (whether auto-organised or not).
Zak, you were already intending to set up a topic for discussion around wording in various parts of MB so maybe now is a good time rather than the wording discssions being done here

ankor

I've got several auto-playlists that are filtered by Rating. The filter seems to work fine but Edit Auto-Playlist doesn't display the Rating stars properly.  It seems to show 3 stars no matter what.

phred

• Global Moderator
@Steven - where does v3 stand on CD ripping?  Should it be functional?  If so, I've found some problems.
1- When ripping, the status shows the track being ripped and the speed, but when a track is completed, it shows encoding.  It never changes to "accurately ripped" or "partially accurate rip."

2- Once the CD is completely ripped, the AccurateRip.com Result window pops up (even though the ripping status still shows as "encoding") and the Close button does not work.  Clicking the X (upper right) closes the window and starts volume analysis. Once volume analysis completes, the status changes to "accurately ripped" or "partially accurate rip."  Clicking on this window's Close button works.

3- Even though I filled in the Album Title, Genre, and Year in the Rip CD dialogue, they did not appear as tags post-rip.  And Disk-Track # is appearing as Artist tag.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
@phred, for 2 were there any inacurrately ripped tracks or do you have it configured to always show that dialog?

phred

• Global Moderator
@phred, for 2 were there any inacurrately ripped tracks or do you have it configured to always show that dialog?
There were no inaccurately ripped tracks.  And yes,  I have it set to always show results from AccurateRip.com..

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
this should fix the auto-playlist issue and 1&2 of the cd rip. I have also tweaked the behavior of the large album layout that should improve how the layout for a wide or narrow compact player size.
However for 3 of cd ripping, i cant reproduce or see how that could happen, and that part of the code hasnt changed from v2.5 so its a bit of a mystery. So could you reconfirm that? Is it also like that if you show one of the files in the tag editor?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/68ia4i13dy6oa0o/MusicBeeDemo.zip

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
I originally thought that this was a skinning issue and didn't raise it before, but I now think it might be something a bit more.

When using the column browser vertically, there is no border line in the header, it is actually placed at the bottom of the column. This occurs in all skins, it's just more noticeable in some.

Also, since yesterdays update, I have to click on an entry in the Library Explorer and then click on All to get my Library entries to show in the main panel.

Also finding the artist picture trimming algorithm doesn't seem to be as sophisticated as used in 2.5.
Lots of chopped heads in 3.0 that don't occur with the same image in 2.5
Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:58:43 PM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

phred

• Global Moderator
this should fix the auto-playlist issue and 1&2 of the cd rip. I have also tweaked the behavior of the large album layout that should improve how the layout for a wide or narrow compact player size.
However for 3 of cd ripping, i cant reproduce or see how that could happen, and that part of the code hasnt changed from v2.5 so its a bit of a mystery. So could you reconfirm that? Is it also like that if you show one of the files in the tag editor?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/68ia4i13dy6oa0o/MusicBeeDemo.zip
Problems 1 & 2 from the CD Rip issue are indeed fixed.   However, the Rip CD window never returns to the option to Close.  When volume analysis is complete, the Cancel option remains.  If I click Cancel, it changes to Close.  When I click Close, it closes.

For problem 3, I ripped the same CD as before with the previous version (3.0.5765) to confirm the behavior mentioned.  These two screenshots show the filled in data in the Rip dialogue  and one of the ripped tracks in the tag editor:

And here are the same two dialogues after ripping the same CD with today's version (3.0.5766)

Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 01:10:05 AM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Justin34

I'm trying to update the artwork for all my albums and the artwork downloader appears to be ignoring my settings for artwork storage. I've unchecked embed artwork in file and have set it to save it all artwork in my pictures folder. However when I hit save all in the artwork downloader it begins embedding the artwork in all music files which is precisely what I do not want to do.

Steven

• Administrator
@phred, i have made on more attempt on the cd rip issue - if it still happens i will need to create a debug version. Same link as before

phred

• Global Moderator
@phred, i have made on more attempt on the cd rip issue - if it still happens i will need to create a debug version. Same link as before
I'm sorry to report there's no change in the CD Rip behavior I reported last.  Upon completing the rip, the AccurateRip.com window opens, I click OK, and the volume analysis starts.  The main panel status bar shows "analysing volume..." and it never goes away (nor does the Rip window change from Cancel to Close) even though the ripped tracks are now in my 'working' folder.  And they do not show in the Inbox.  When I click Cancel in the Rip window, it changes to Close.  When I click Close, it closes.  In addition the ripped tracks are still not tagged properly.  I tried two different CDs this time just on the chance it was disc related.  Sadly it is not.  I also looked at the Tag Inspector for one of the ripped tracks and it's empty.  Nothing.  No Title, no (incorrect) Artist.  Just empty.

EDIT:  Actually the ripped tracks -are- in the Inbox.  It's just not reflected in the Library panel with a track count as in 2.5.  But when clicking on the Inbox node, the tracks are there.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

ankor

confirmed...Edit of auto-playlist displays Ratings correctly now