Author Topic: GUI changes for v3.0  (Read 1233342 times)

hiccup

Something similar has been suggested before, I can't remember by who, and I can't remember where, but I also have been thinking for a long time that the word 'Library' in MusicBee is sometimes confusing people.

v3 might be a good starting point to start differentiating terminology for the two different concepts of this word in MusicBee.

I am not a native English speaker, but introducing separate terms such as: 'Library index' and 'Music library', and using these consistently would probably be helpful to (new) users.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Something similar has been suggested before, I can't remember by who, and I can't remember where, but I also have been thinking for a long time that the word 'Library' in MusicBee is sometimes confusing people.

v3 might be a good starting point to start differentiating terminology for the two different concepts of this word in MusicBee.

I am not a native English speaker, but introducing separate terms such as: 'Library index' and 'Music library', and using these consistently would probably be helpful to (new) users.

+1
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
@Steven - where does the current v3.x stand on plugin use?  It seems that some of my v2.5.x plugins don't work in v3 despite my enabling them.  And there are some that can't be enabled even though they appear in the plugin preferences window.  Thanks.
they have been temporarily disabled pending some testing - especially the tag tools plugin. I just wan to make sure there are no unexpected problems which involve plugins writing tags to files

phred

• Global Moderator
@Steven - where does the current v3.x stand on plugin use?  It seems that some of my v2.5.x plugins don't work in v3 despite my enabling them.  And there are some that can't be enabled even though they appear in the plugin preferences window.  Thanks.
they have been temporarily disabled pending some testing - especially the tag tools plugin. I just wan to make sure there are no unexpected problems which involve plugins writing tags to files
Thanks for the update Steven.  I'm not pushing you for this.  As I branch out in my testing of v3 features I noticed this today and couldn't remember if we had a problem or if you had previously said plugins are not working yet.  Instead of just setting up my UI the way I like it, I'm now starting to experiment with my workflow using test files.  And so far everything seems to be working the way I expect it to.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
I just received this error message when trying to delete some files from the library.
Before the error came up I was editing the tags of these tracks outside MusicBee.
The status bar also reads: "Unable to access: C:\Users\...\AppData\...\MusicBee\Filters\Classical.xautopf"
My current tab (with the classical filter) became completely unusable, I had to close the tab and re-create it.
i cant reproduce this bug, nor does it make any sense the filter got corrupted as the file only gets updated when you edit/ save the filter or the filter has a predefined view and you change the view in the main panel..
However i have enhanced the delete file function to prompt for retry

edit:
actually i can reproduce the error when deleting a file and clicking the mouse button quickly. Thats fixed for the next update. The stuff said about the filter stands
Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:15:40 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
this has fixes for the issues reported above and a few i have found myself. Also i have enabled plugins now, except for the tag tools plugin so it can be tested before being made available.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/68ia4i13dy6oa0o/MusicBeeDemo.zip

same instructions as before - unzip into the folder where MB is installed and run MusicBee3.exe

Alumni

i cant reproduce this bug, nor does it make any sense the filter got corrupted as the file only gets updated when you edit/ save the filter or the filter has a predefined view and you change the view in the main panel..
However i have enhanced the delete file function to prompt for retry

edit:
actually i can reproduce the error when deleting a file and clicking the mouse button quickly. Thats fixed for the next update. The stuff said about the filter stands

The latest patch fixed the error for me, thanks.
By the way I didn't mean to give the impression my filters were corrupted, they were fine.
Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 01:08:15 AM by Alumni

boroda

Steven, sorry fot being late, i'll try to test plugins today.

Xyzzy

@Justin34, Xyzzy
this version should fix the bug. Same instructions as before

It launches now and I imported some files into the Library.

Thanks.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Really? I haven't noticed anyone that was confused by the concept of a library that stores information about your files. A lot of programs have had it for a long time, and I would have thought it was fairly intuitive.

What are the two concepts you are referring to? The only library I'm aware of is the one with my tracks in it.  ???
Bee excellent to each other...

hiccup

Really? I haven't noticed anyone that was confused by the concept of a library that stores information about your files. A lot of programs have had it for a long time, and I would have thought it was fairly intuitive.
What are the two concepts you are referring to? The only library I'm aware of is the one with my tracks in it.  ???

Yes really.

Even your reply itself mixes those two.

The first part of your reply refers to what you could call the Library index file, which with a default installation saves in a location I believe such as C: username > my music (not sure exactly)
You can create more of those 'Libraries', and also choose where you want to save those.

The second part of your reply refers to the actual content of your library, such as your music, podcasts, audiobooks themselves.
They can also be stored on locations to your own choosing.

Those are two different concepts, which are currently both called 'Library'.
Both in MusicBee itself, as in this forum, which sometimes confuses and sets users in a wrong direction.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Okay, so you mean the library file itself, "MusicBeeLibrary.mbl" (and the associated folder) vs. the conceptual "library" (the tracks in that file).

Rather than what they're called (and there's nothing wrong with the term Library), maybe the question to ask is "Why do MusicBee users care so much about where the database file is?".

Are MusicBee users just more technically savvy and more likely to do things like moving libraries between drives, than iTunes users? I can't imagine the same questions get asked about Media Player and iTunes - people just add their tracks and how or where the database file is saved is irrelevant.
Bee excellent to each other...

hiccup

.... how or where the database file is saved is irrelevant.

You really mean that? I disagree completely with that statement.

One of the reasons I like MusicBee is that MusicBee usually calls things as they really are, and doesn't try to make too much assumptions about how 'clever', 'dumb' or investigative it's users are.

Let's not start a discussion here about 'the average MusicBee user' vs. 'the average iTunes user, or making assumptions who 'needs' or 'wants' to understand what.

I believe my suggestion is very sensible. I have seen this coming up in the forum before, and I have friends who I had explain the different uses and meanings of 'library' to.

I can't see any valid objection to naming these two clearly different concepts of 'library' distinctive.

ankor

Media files/library vs MB database?

I always want to know about relevant file locations (especially database) for backup purposes.  That's a big deal for users.

hiccup

It might be enough to just keep using the name 'Library' for the actual library containing the audio files, and rename MusicBee's 'Library' file to 'Library index'.
That would be a simple change and is probably clear enough to differentiate.