Author Topic: GUI changes for v3.0  (Read 1233611 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Cool!

I've been fiddling with the panel configuration, and I like it!  One thing I think would be helpful is a visual cue to which elements can be moved and which can't.  Also, why allow the thumbnail browser in the left panel but not the column browser?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
One thing I think would be helpful is a visual cue to which elements can be moved and which can't.
there is - when you start dragging a dashed box surrounds the panels an element can be dragged to. As to the column browser, te way its implements, its part of the main files panel but if wnough people ask for it, it could probably be changed

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
there is - when you start dragging a dashed box surrounds the panels an element can be dragged to.

I mean something before you even grab it.  Or an alternative might be to show a red box or symbol if you try to move something you can't.  The real issue is that not knowing you can't move it until you get the pop-up is pretty annoying. :)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
really like the look of having the status bar below the player bar in the bottom panel 

hope the round 'metro' buttons will still be an option for the player bar   ???
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zi98cfyryaijg6z/MusicBee3.zip
same instructions as before
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=15050.msg93394#msg93394

Any feedback welcome - its best you do so now if you really dont like something

Or an alternative might be to show a red box or symbol if you try to move something you can't.  The real issue is that not knowing you can't move it until you get the pop-up is pretty annoying. :)
i made a change for that and some other minor visual improvements with the panel re-arranging
a number of the remaining elements have also been implemented now (except the sidebar player, and artist info bar)

really like the look of having the status bar below the player bar in the bottom panel
hope the round 'metro' buttons will still be an option for the player bar   ???
thanks for reminding me - for now the metro buttons can be configured via the right click menu on the player panel
Also re: the status bar, it can be re-positioned above the player so its the same as the current MB but i think new positon will be the new default

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
All changes look good so far  :)

Being able to place the wavebar across the bottom of the main panel is another good alteration.

Hoping that the column browser will eventually have independently adjustable column widths - especially when in vertical  mode
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yeah, looks good.  I like the symbol a lot better than the pop-up.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

mikebo

I feel it would make more sense to merge the thumbnail browser with the column browser, adding an option for some columns to toggle thumbnails.

9ido

Thank for the preview. It looks good.

Only think that I don't agree on is the new yellow look of the wavebar, it's distracting and feels inconsistent, I hope we get the old color scheme in the classic layout (which I always preferred). The old light grey version is much easier on the eye. I do like that it's user sizeable, but there seems to be too much space waisted on top and below with larger sizes.

Is the placement of the command buttons optional between caption and below caption? I would not like it if I had to share the space for tabs with the set of command buttons that I use, as I use a lot of both. I also think it would just make more sense to have them in the caption bar, but I am afraid the current idea is to have them below.

Cheers.
Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 07:41:48 AM by 9ido

Zak

• Global Moderator
Just had a quick look and it looks good.

I do have a few observations, numbered to make replies/discussion easier:

Panels Configuration dialog
1.  Elements that must always be shown shouldn't have a check mark next to them as it implies they can be hidden.

2.  Not sure why some elements have a text box that just reports on whether the check box is ticked or not.

3.  The two elements available for the "Top panel" and "Bottom panel" don't warrant them having their own section. I know it looks more complete to match the rest of the dialog, but aesthetics shouldn't win over usability.

4.  The "Overlay" checkbox is described as displaying "elements stacked on top of each other". You could just label the checkbox "Stacked?" to remove one level of abstraction.

5.  There may be technical reasons, but some restrictions on where things can go seem arbitrary. For example, I can put the Spectrum visual at the bottom of the main panel, but not on top.

6.  I think someone else mentioned it, but it would be good if movable elements could be identified without dragging them. For example, mobile UIs have little stripey "handles" to the left of list items that can be reordered. It also gives something "tangible" to click on to drag. Now I click things to drag them and think it's also going to change the checkbox state.

7.  The sub-dialogs aren't implemented, so it remains to be seen, but the number of elements with a separate "Configure..." button are a little alarming. This is a great opportunity to completely rethink how some of these settings are implemented, not just move them around.

8.  It's not a very scalable design for adding new elements in the future.

Main window
9.  Little triangly pictures in the column browser headings mean "reverse the sort order" but in the element headings little triangly pictures mean "Click here to show something else". Different icons for the different actions would be better.

10.  Only a minor thing, but it does pop up in a few places - the tooltip for the configuration button is "Configure Layout" but the title bar for the displayed dialog is "Panels Configuration". Consistency in little things like that help users remember which task goes with which button/control.

11.  The context menu on the Thumbnail browser has a submenu, "Customise Panel", with three different thumbnail sizes. Unless there are more options to be added later (which is entirely feasible) these options should either be promoted to the top menu, or the submenu should be called "Thumbnail size" with options "Small", "Medium" and "Large". This also occurs in a few places, so thought I might as well mention it now while I've noticed it.
Bee excellent to each other...

Alumni

I can't run the test version, I followed the instructions but I get this error.

Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: collection

10/06/2015 12:12:07 AM - 6.2.9200.0 - 3.0.5637.39443 - System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: collection
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at #=qS6a8FcffQxhVdiH_f2f3JmYeLS$fnXEovxKoix_Rlps=.#=qfyrLFMU4TFRwnH3tr5Mjlg==.#=q$Ss8egwQnpBrfIWL$kafng==(#=qG5vtRiytW2Szy33ou5AAji3KeigxGJowWdp0M9JY8vo= #=qDLrrK1K4OSW7IUB6dCM3SA==)
   at #=qS6a8FcffQxhVdiH_f2f3JmYeLS$fnXEovxKoix_Rlps=.#=qBBDo1ZdNZWXNtZPdHAtpgQ==(#=qG5vtRiytW2Szy33ou5AAji3KeigxGJowWdp0M9JY8vo= #=qmQtoYkD1xRgYrx6_vkvNYg==)
   at #=qGE7lHUAMDkY5KUB77wtDa0Vg_3xzLcGztcw9HKgOqFc=.#=qCLJdg00RKHzY8haw5EjK3g==(String[] #=qJlQsjKTGRMmf3FVJgf6Tvw==)

Steven

• Administrator
I feel it would make more sense to merge the thumbnail browser with the column browser, adding an option for some columns to toggle thumbnails.
i did think about doing that but didnt for a couple of reasons: 1: the count settings dont currently apply to the thumbnail browser and the thumbnail browser only really works on a vertical orientation and 2: by keeping them as separate elements provides a bit more flexibility with the layout as done in the demo version (thumbnail in left, column browsers horizontal) - that wont be the default layout though

Steven

• Administrator
Panels Configuration dialog
2.  Not sure why some elements have a text box that just reports on whether the check box is ticked or not.
to fill the space, plus the a couple will be changed to "Configure" anyway

4.  The "Overlay" checkbox is described as displaying "elements stacked on top of each other". You could just label the checkbox "Stacked?" to remove one level of abstraction.
i agree

5.  There may be technical reasons, but some restrictions on where things can go seem arbitrary. For example, I can put the Spectrum visual at the bottom of the main panel, but not on top.
it is for reasons of how the panel is implemented and i was expecting this comment. I might implement it

6.  I think someone else mentioned it, but it would be good if movable elements could be identified without dragging them. For example, mobile UIs have little stripey "handles" to the left of list items that can be reordered. It also gives something "tangible" to click on to drag. Now I click things to drag them and think it's also going to change the checkbox state.
can you post a screenshot so i know what you mean

7.  The sub-dialogs aren't implemented, so it remains to be seen, but the number of elements with a separate "Configure..." button are a little alarming. This is a great opportunity to completely rethink how some of these settings are implemented, not just move them around.
i havent done it yet, but it will probably by one configure screen and the ... will jump to the relevant section

Steven

• Administrator
Only think that I don't agree on is the new yellow look of the wavebar, it's distracting and feels inconsistent, I hope we get the old color scheme in the classic layout (which I always preferred). The old light grey version is much easier on the eye. I do like that it's user sizeable, but there seems to be too much space waisted on top and below with larger sizes.
there should only be a 3px gap from the maximum values - your tracks might not be at full volume levels. As to the colors i might revisit if i have time but other skinners are free to do what they think is best

Is the placement of the command buttons optional between caption and below caption? I would not like it if I had to share the space for tabs with the set of command buttons that I use, as I use a lot of both. I also think it would just make more sense to have them in the caption bar, but I am afraid the current idea is to have them below.
yes, i will change the options from the current configuration though and probably provide a way to put them in the caption bar as you suggest

Steven

• Administrator
I can't run the test version, I followed the instructions but I get this error.
i think i know what it is and should be fixed - the updated zip is available on the same link