Author Topic: GUI changes for v3.0  (Read 1233824 times)

Alumni

- note that for the new centered tabs, they wont activate when docked in the caption bar unless the skin supports that. Currently only the default musicbee skin supports that

Looks fantastic, well done! I've updated my skins to support the changes if anyone wants to check it out.

alec.tron

Giving the playlist manager its own layout panel (without the duplicated nodes) would... Reduce duplication, give full access to filters while using it, etc.
+1 - I think...

As for playlists, and sorry to take it back to another angle that might have been discussed prior (or can someone who has followed MusicBee's dev evolution from the beginning, explain briefly, maybe via PM), what/why there is 2 ways to display & work with Playlists, but with slightly different functionality ?
For me, as a newcomer to MB, but for whom (a LOT of) playlists & management/manitenance of such are a major feature and the reason I am switching to Musicbee, this isn't quite clear if there's a functional reason, other than legacy/evolution... eg, as is I find the Playlist Manager less developed & missing functionality that I need & use the main Navigator Playlist group for, so the argument, from how I understand it, to remove redundancy, and if the Playlist Manager is the Preferred solution to keep alive & standing ((opposed to Playlists in the Navigator panel), the Playlist Manager would first need to offer all functionality & features that the Navigator Playlist group offers, no ?

Cheers.
c.

ankor

v3.0.5920 assuming this is different from...
- note that for the new centered tabs, they wont activate when docked in the caption bar unless the skin supports that. Currently only the default musicbee skin supports that

Pref | Layout(1) | header bar | custom font
Change font from Segoe UI, Bold, 9pt to Bold Italic and Save but the change isn't implemented. Exit MB and relaunch and the change implementation is visible. I tried underscore, same thing.  It seems like the tabs need immediate refreshing so changes are visible. Same behavior regardless of tabs in or below caption bar.
Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 01:32:02 AM by ankor

ankor

using skin Dark Variations | Greenish Stategrey
when tabs bar is below caption bar, the tab bg & fg colors match what is in the xml for the skin. but when tabs bar is in the caption bar, it's a different set of bg & fg colors and not sure where they come from. is it something about the caption bar or ????

thanks

redwing

This glitch is back between left main panel and the main panel. PMed my settings file (open music tab or inbox tab).

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
As for playlists, and sorry to take it back to another angle that might have been discussed prior (or can someone who has followed MusicBee's dev evolution from the beginning, explain briefly, maybe via PM), what/why there is 2 ways to display & work with Playlists, but with slightly different functionality ?
For me, as a newcomer to MB, but for whom (a LOT of) playlists & management/manitenance of such are a major feature and the reason I am switching to Musicbee, this isn't quite clear if there's a functional reason, other than legacy/evolution... eg, as is I find the Playlist Manager less developed & missing functionality that I need & use the main Navigator Playlist group for, so the argument, from how I understand it, to remove redundancy, and if the Playlist Manager is the Preferred solution to keep alive & standing ((opposed to Playlists in the Navigator panel), the Playlist Manager would first need to offer all functionality & features that the Navigator Playlist group offers, no ?

The Playlist Manager is new to 3.0.   I think the idea was to keep playlists available while the rest of the navigator panel was hidden (with an eye to giving them their own tab for drag & drop purposes), and since then it's been made partly redundant by the feature of having the left panel pop up as soon as you start to drag a selection, so you can easily drag & drop onto it.  I've probably made a nuisance of my opinions about it, and Steven has said he's done with it for this round so I'll be surprised if he makes any more changes before releasing 3.0.  I imagine implementing it as a standalone panel could take quite a bit of work on Steven's end, even if it seems like a simple change from the user end.  I'm hoping it stays at the top of the agenda for 3.1, though, because I've gotten attached to the idea of what could be done with it.  :)

[Edit: Looking back, I did miss one thing - that menu that Alumni was referring to.  I thought it was disabled when I took a screenshot of it.  That's what I get for assuming...]

What features are you thinking it still needs from the Navigator, other than being able to close the folders?  [Edit: Oh, and I see the context menu is stripped way down, too.]
Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 06:13:23 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

The new centered tab layout was very well done. Thanks a lot!
Most of the time it's working fine but occasionally shows some glitches.
This is one of those. When a pinned tab is partially locked or unlocked, the tab width doesn't adjust by itself without refreshing.

Also noticed sometimes a pinned tab header doesn't change when selected node changed, but it's not always reproducible.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Shouldn't this pop-up be titled "New Playlist" or "Name Playlist" or something like that?

Added: what appears to be a bug I found while getting screenshots for the wiki.  I added a playlist in the Playlist Manager, but it was not added to the Navigator.

Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:53:28 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
Looks fantastic, well done! I've updated my skins to support the changes if anyone wants to check it out.

how did you get the icons displaying when using the centered/uppercase style,or are all of those tabs pinned?

alec.tron

Thanks again for the explanation psychoadept, much appreciated!

What features are you thinking it still needs from the Navigator, other than being able to close the folders?  [Edit: Oh, and I see the context menu is stripped way down, too.]
As for Playlists & Playlist Manager, I would hope for something along these lines:

Playlist Manager:
bug - discrepancy w Navigator Playlist  node - on-disc structure should be respected, i.e. folders, no matter the nesting level, should be displayed as folders, and are expand- & collapse-able throughout.

bug/feature - context menu seemed odd that it's different between Navigator Playlists & Playlist Manager - but I've used the contexts too little as I am yet to 'work' with it properly, I'm still in a testing phase, so I don't really have an opinion, other than that it seemed odd.

feature - lock playlists - i.e. I need to rely on it's absolute un-editability of playlists as many are a snapshot of a past radio show or DJ set, which I do not ever want to alter (minus, IF a track happens to move / rename / etc, for which one should be easily able to remove the lock, alter/fix, then lock again)

feature - allow Playlists to come from Monitored Folders - plus an easy workflow to push changes from internal .mdb files to m3u files (to be used elsewhere)

Playlists themselves:
bug - MB playlist persistency -> http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17942.0

feature - replicate playlist structure in exported iTunes Library.xml - i.e. folders - atm the playlists are flattened  / the folder hierarchy they live in is not respected -> http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=15165.msg90562#msg90562

bug - iTunes Library.xml should be UTF-8 (Without BOM) encoded, as is, MB's exported xml is encoded as UTF-8 With BOM - which is fine for most programs (Serato & Rekordbox I have tested...), but one of my target programs (Traktor Scratch / Pro 2) takes offense to that encoding, so I have to manually alter that. Also, might be there's the opposite case... but iTunes native export is TF-8 Wihtouh BOM apparently.

All just suggestions from my point of view obviously ;)
Cheers.
c.
Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:33:22 AM by alec.tron

Alumni

how did you get the icons displaying when using the centered/uppercase style,or are all of those tabs pinned?

Yeah those tabs are pinned. I noticed a bug by the way - the close button for tabs doesn't respond to user input.
Also I'm not sure why locked tabs with partial navigation allows playlists with the playlist manager, but not with the left navigator.
PS: When you mouseover a tab that's unlocked it briefly shows the "pinned" icon next to it, is that intentional?

Edit: I just tried to pin an auto-playlist with shuffle enabled, but clicking on the tab doesn't refresh/shuffle the playlist each time.
Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:38:04 AM by Alumni

Cypher

I've found 2 bugs on the latest MusicBee 3 patch (3.0.5920).

1. While on the Windows theme, scrolling through now playing on playlist mode makes certain lines of the playlist stay while scrolling down. This issue doesn't exist with the Musicbee3 theme. It also exists when having the Album images column off.

Here's a GIF of this bug in action (Warning, it's 2MB big): http://i.imgur.com/UWBkroa.gifv

2. When using the Now Playing Assistant, if you search for a song that's somewhere in a big playlist and click on the result. The song number of the result will be played in the playlist instead of the actual song (song #2 in the playlist will be played instead of result #2).

Here's a GIF of what i mean (around 600KB big): http://i.imgur.com/uD8e8FI.gifv

Those issues aren't present in the latest stable version of Musicbee 2.5.

the_pragmatist

Hey all, loving the new changes.
Request:
When using the mini player docked at the top, is it possible to have an option to "show on all desktops"(Windows 10 virtual desktops). Because as is, when switching to another desktop & app, you're left with a mini player-sized gap at the top. Is that something for this forum or is it a Windows problem?

Cheers though.

redwing

Currently vertical AZ jump bar gets placed at the left of column/thumbnail browser when those elements are placed in the main panel. I think the AZ bar should be placed at the right of those elements because it only controls main panel.

sleepless

The tabs are looking great!

I mentioned this one time earlier and want to give this one more shot. Would it be possible for the podcast tab behavior to be an option? Having a number as the tab header doesn't seem right to me. I'd much rather it read "PODCASTS" when inactive as well. The switching over also causes all the tabs to shift over every time the tab is selected or exited. I've said my piece, now I'm letting it go.
I recently noticed a notification icon in the toolbar with the podcast information in it. Somehow I never noticed it before. When/how does it appear? How do I get it back? I like it.
EDIT: I just realized the icon is displayed when an episode is downloaded. I guess I never noticed in my previous setup with consolidated buttons.

Much thanks for all the great tab changes.
Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 02:26:27 PM by sleepless