Author Topic: GUI changes for v3.0  (Read 1233758 times)

Steven

• Administrator
I wanted to get away from some of the old names to make them more generic as they could have multiple elements now eg. renamed "Filter Panel" to "Left Main Panel". These are the names i had in the last screenshot. Remember they will now include an icon showing the area of the application window that it applies to
- Caption Bar
- Top Panel
- Left Sidebar
- Left Main Panel
- Main Panel
- Bottom Panel

Alexis

OK, what am I missing? Last post here was February 13th?  The topic moved again?  This is all so exciting, don't play with my emotions please :).. where did everyone go?

Again, I LOVE the attention to new users, this has really been long overdue as I kept having to orient new users to MB.
They are not lazy... just more efficient.

Alexis

OK, I see that Steven is generally unavailable and respect if given to him on that basis.  I suppose I am now caught up. :)

Steven

• Administrator
things are going quite slowly and it probably wont be until june before the first versons are ready

Alumni

things are going quite slowly and it probably wont be until june before the first versons are ready

Thanks for the news, can we expect an alpha version?
Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:02:03 PM by Alumni

Alexis

Thank you for the update Steven.

Steven

• Administrator
I think i have already mentioned this but I will bring it up again to give people the opportunity to raise a good reason not to do this:
- the "Now Playing" node will change.
In the existing implementation the list of Playing Tracks gets moved from the sidebar into the main panel and becomes the main feature.
However in v3, I have been changing the GUI so each panel component in the GUI (track info, lyrics, playing tracks list etc) are completely independent and flexibly arranged in the application as configured by the user and one result of that is MB wont make any automated decisions about how to reconfigure the layout.
What I am planning to do is to keep the Playing Tracks list where-ever its configured to be displayed, and the main feature would be the artist/ album picture. The main and right panel would be configurable so any lyrics, playing tracks, track info panels etc can overlay the feature picture - much the same way as done in the compact player mode.
So there would be no where where the current "Now Playing" list of tracks is in the main panel (other than a chosen configuration where the "Playing Tracks" list is always docked in the bottom of the main panel)

- vertical arranged tabs will no longer be supported. The reason being is that arrangement would leave a large blank space on the bar where the tabs would go (the bar which would also have the search box/ command buttons etc)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I have been changing the GUI so each panel component in the GUI (track info, lyrics, playing tracks list etc) are completely independent and flexibly arranged in the application as configured by the user and one result of that is MB wont make any automated decisions about how to reconfigure the layout.

I'm excited about this!
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
Steven - your latest comments are not only welcome, but very exciting.  I can't wait to see what you've come up with.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Alexis

Steven, I like where this is going very much.  No problem with anything you have posted  there.

Steven

• Administrator
just for the record to keep a list of the major changes being made:
- all saving of files/ pictures is now done in the background. This means the GUI no longer freezes when a lot of files are being saved
- the file save process now checks the fields updated by the tag editor and if its only linked artwork/ custom fields that are not saved to file then MB wont update the file#

redwing

- all saving of files/ pictures is now done in the background. This means the GUI no longer freezes when a lot of files are being saved
- the file save process now checks the fields updated by the tag editor and if its only linked artwork/ custom fields that are not saved to file then MB wont update the file#

That's a great improvement!

BTW if you have a chance, have a look at MB's music file validation process, such as this one: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=14451.0
That might be also responsible for often-reported server connection issues or some syncing issues.

Storm25

Excited about the more efficient saving changes.
Not quite sure about the changes to playing now and no more automated decisions. I quite like the playing now like it is at the moment.
i'll have to see it when it's done ;).
Cheers

Steven

• Administrator
Not quite sure about the changes to playing now and no more automated decisions. I quite like the playing now like it is at the moment.
in the current version when you click on the "Now Playing" node, MB removes the Playing Tracks from the right sidebar and moves it into the main panel.
in the new version, that wont happen - instead the main panel will feature an Artist/ Album picture like the 3rd screenshot in http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=14941.0 or the existing "Playing Tracks" tab/ Compact player layout. The Playing Tracks in the right sidebar will remain where they are configured but will optionally be overlayed onto the picture

Steven

• Administrator
i have created a demo version that has some of new the functionality implemented - its intended to give you an idea of how things are being implemented and is not a fully functioning version! For example it doesnt save any updates back to the musicbee database cache, it doesnt read or write back the settings files

Instructions
- create a new folder somewhere you have write access
- unzip http://www.mediafire.com/download/zi98cfyryaijg6z/MusicBee3.zip
- you will need to either manually edit AppData/StartupSettings.ini or copy your existing StartupSettings.ini file. The important setting is <LibraryPath>\Users\Steven\Music\MusicBee\</LibraryPath> which needs to point to where your current musicbee database resides.
If the path is not set or not valid you will see a blank dialog form popup when you start MB3
- i recommend you dont update any ratings or save any tags with the tag editor as the MusicBee database is not saved so would be out of synch with what is written to the music file

Notes
- as you will see many of the sub-panels are not yet implemented
- the skin and settings are hard coded but you can change some of the settings while the program is running but they wont be saved for the next restart
- no need to report any bugs - i have only lightly tested this and fully expect there will be bugs
- next thing i plan to do is the "Now Playing" node

here is a screenshot:

and the panel layout configuration:

Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:50:04 PM by Steven