Author Topic: Reversed artist names  (Read 4109 times)

nlurker

New user here with simple question.  How can I prevent MusicBee (Compact player specifically) from reversing artist names when they contain commas?  For example, it displays silly things like "Stills & Nash Crosby" and "Jr. Harry Connick".

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This sounds like a problem with your tags.  Use the Tag Inspector to see if there are multiple artist tags written to some of those files.  Also make sure that you're not displaying a Sort tag in the compact player.

musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Tagging#Tag_Inspector

If you need more assistance, it would be helpful to see a screenshot of your compact player settings, and probably of the tag inspector.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

nlurker

Thanks for the reply.  In the compact player, the setting for "track details displayed in the left panel" under "fields:" says "<Artist>".  Is there another field that I should use instead?  Should I change a sort setting somewhere?

My file is tagged "Crosby, Stills & Nash", but "Stills & Nash Crosby" displays.
My file is tagged "Harry Connick, Jr." but "Jr. Harry Connick" displays.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the reply.  In the compact player, the setting for "track details displayed in the left panel" under "fields:" says "<Artist>".  Is there another field that I should use instead?  Should I change a sort setting somewhere?

My file is tagged "Crosby, Stills & Nash", but "Stills & Nash Crosby" displays.
My file is tagged "Harry Connick, Jr." but "Jr. Harry Connick" displays.

<Artist> is what you want, but that confirms my suspicion that the problem is in the file.  MB doesn't have any feature to remove commas or reorganize tags that way.  The Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools plugin can do things like that, but not on the fly.  Can you please post screenshots of where you're seeing the problem, and the Artist tag in the Tag Inspector?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

nlurker

Thanks for your reply.  I just tested a number of files and you are correct, it did not reverse the artist names of any of them.

However, I do still see the reversal when playing a http stream.  I played the same stream (at the same time) in Winamp, and the artist name was not reversed there.  Is there anything specific to http streams that could be causing this?  I will watch for further inconsistencies streaming to the two players.

Steven

• Administrator
please provide the stream url so someone can check what is happening.

Steven

• Administrator
yes it seems there is some logic to look for ", " and reverse the text - this is only for radio streams. I cannot recall why that was done and doesnt make much sense, so i have removed it.
Unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_5/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

nlurker

Thank you very much!  I'm glad you found the bug so quickly.

I made a screenshot for you, but you don't need it now.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
yes it seems there is some logic to look for ", " and reverse the text - this is only for radio streams. I cannot recall why that was done and doesnt make much sense, so i have removed it.

There was probably a stream sending last name, first name (maybe classical?).
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

nlurker

For future reference, how do I post a screenshot?  I can't see any way to do it.

Pingaware

It's explained here.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

nlurker

Steven, I am running your patched version, and artist names containing commas are displaying correctly now.

Thanks so much for such a wonderful app!

nlurker

Steven, might you have more errant logic monkeying with streamed tags?

I just noticed that a leading " got removed.  Here is what the two players displayed:

Winamp:     "Weird Al" Yankovic
MusicBee:   Weird Al" Yankovic

nlurker

Found another one:   If a streamed tag contains a semicolon, MusicBee truncates everything after it.