Author Topic: Nested filters  (Read 5465 times)

a2a

Is it possible or is there a way to nest filters e.g. I created a filter showing only my old music and want to exclude items from another filter?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This isn't possible with filters, but is possible with auto-playlists.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

a2a

Thanks for confirming.

I did read up on this post which was interesting: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=7775.0

You think it would be worth a feature request (getting nested filters)?

Pingaware

You think it would be worth a feature request (getting nested filters)?

Have a look at this topic here and see if that's what you mean.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

a2a

Not quite... I want to have a view of filtered tracks - according to my defined rules - but not necessarily a playlist.

If I've got a filter set to display e.g. old tracks, and this filter has a few rules set within it; I may want to then create another filter - adding more tracks to but based on criteria in another filter.

Also, a slight aside, I'm trying to set a filter just for dance music, but it doesn't seem to be working - what isn't working - I'm getting 0 results?

Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:40:22 AM by a2a

Pingaware

If I've got a filter set to display e.g. old tracks, and this filter has a few rules set within it; I may want to then create another filter - adding more tracks to but based on criteria in another filter.

So using a rule such as "Tracks are in filter x" which is what the wishlist request is for?
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The difference between an auto playlist and a filter is minimal for what you're trying to do.  I'm just saying this option is available if your wish isn't fulfilled.

The requirements of your dance filter are physically impossible to meet.    One file can't be in two different locations.  The second rule doesn't hurt you, but it's unnecessary for the same reason.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

a2a

So why can't it be configured to show all music in two different folder e.g.:

D:\music\dance albums
D:\music\vintage albums

I create a filter using a rule on the two above directories using the "path contains" criteria?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
So why can't it be configured to show all music in two different folder e.g.:

D:\music\dance albums
D:\music\vintage albums

I create a filter using a rule on the two above directories using the "path contains" criteria?

You can absolutely do that.  But what you have configured in the screenshot is to show only tracks which are in BOTH directories, which is impossible.  What you need is two top level rules, one for each folder, and where it says "match ... of the following rules", change it to ANY, not ALL.  Then MB will look for tracks from each folder separately.
Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 08:38:05 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

a2a

psychoadept, this is most useful - and very kind of you to point out thank you!

Seems the error is on my part :s

It's the way I [mis]understood the logic; for some reason, I thought that having the top level rule definition set to "any" would mean it only needs to match one or some of the rules to provide results.

The way I interpreted it was I want it to match "all" of the results for the files in the specified directories :s

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It's the way I [mis]understood the logic; for some reason, I thought that having the top level rule definition set to "any" would mean it only needs to match one or some of the rules to provide results.

The way I interpreted it was I want it to match "all" of the results for the files in the specified directories :s

You're welcome!  Your reasoning is correct, just applied to the rules, rather than the results.  With "any", a track only needs to match one of the rules to be included.

Now, if you want to exclude a particular folder, a subrule would be the way to go.  In your case "Path contains Music\Mixes" AND "Path does not contain Guest Mixes".
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)