Author Topic: Ratings  (Read 8012 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
First off - I -never- use track or album ratings.
While editing the tags to a track today, I accidentally clicked on one star under track rating.  I thought that by clicking on the star again, I could remove it.  But it wouldn't go away.  I finally deleted it by using the Tag Inspector, but I'm sure that's not the 'proper' was to delete ratings.  So what -is- the method for removing one or all stars?

Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Just click to the left of the first star.  If you go too far left you'll get the "bomb" but there is a margin in there for "no stars".  Or you can right click and set it to Not Rated under Rating.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

It's a bit of a pixel game, but when you click left of the first star, you should be able to remove the rating, or toggle 'bomb'.

hiccup

Hm, that's strange, shouldn't the 'bomb' be behind 'ban' instead of 'no stars'?

phred

• Global Moderator
Just click to the left of the first star.  If you go too far left you'll get the "bomb" but there is a margin in there for "no stars".  Or you can right click and set it to Not Rated under Rating.
Great!  Thanks.  I've bombed a couple of times already in my testing of this for the next time I accidentally rate something.  The right-click is more my style.  And I've right-clicked on tracks a gazillion times and never noticed that 'Rating' was there.  Probably because I don't use them.

It's a bit of a pixel game, but when you click left of the first star, you should be able to remove the rating, or toggle 'bomb'.
Yes!  It's kinda like playing Whack-A-Mole https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0n8N98mpes    :)
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hm, that's strange, shouldn't the 'bomb' be behind 'ban' instead of 'no stars'?

No, bomb is just a rating. A very poor rating, but it doesn't prevent a track from playing like Ban does.
Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:01:27 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

Ok, thnx.
Seems a bit awkward, and not what I would choose as icons or names for differentiating between 'not rated', 'ban' or '0 stars', but looking at the arguments on this matter, here and at MediaMonkey where I guess the basis for this lies, I am not going to rattle that cage...

Zak

• Global Moderator
I think they all have their uses.

I don't know what the discussion at MediaMonkey entails but Love and Ban are carried over from Last.FM which was designed to work more like a traditional radio station. I think in its early days, users weren't selecting which songs they heard - Last.FM would play a song of its choosing and users would tell it whether they liked it or never wanted to hear it again. The users' choices would be used to gradually tailor a personalised profile of their likes and dislikes so Last.FM could operate like a radio station that only played songs a user would probably like. This would also include recommendations from other users who seemed to have the same musical tastes. Even in the early days of mass internet adoption - over ten years ago - it wasn't a terrible idea.

Ban in MusicBee could probably substitute for a Bomb rating but I think is included separately because it still bans the song on Last.FM as well.

I see the difference between No rating and 0 stars is that 0 would suggest you have listened to a song and hated it vehemently, whereas No rating would suggest you haven't heard the song at all, or at least not yet formed an opinion on it.

At least they're all separate options and no one is forced to use either or both. :)
Bee excellent to each other...