Author Topic: Unwanted video files being scanned by MusicBee  (Read 10729 times)

jaume

Has this been implemented in the RC2? When removing dead links after a re-scan dead links are still being removed from the playlists in 5524.

Steven

• Administrator
the links will be removed if you answer yes to the dead link removal confirmation dialog or if you have that  dialog automatically enabled in the confirmation preferences.
the only change was for continous monitoring to not automatically remove the links from playliists which happened without prompt

jaume

Thanks for clarifying, Steven. Bringing some points I was making in another thread.

So the files are not removed from the playlists when removed from Windows Explorer but rather when scanning folders for new files. At the end I am asked if I want to remove the dead links from the library and saying yes to this also removes them from the m3u files.

Previously this was not the behaviour. Would it be possible to have the prior behaviour back? Maybe an additional tick in the remove dead links dialog to allow us to decide between library and playlists would be the best of both worlds? I understand some people may prefer that playlists are 'fixed' but others may prefer to leave the m3u files intact whilst still using the rescan functionality to fix the library (and identify missing files though playlists. This proved a life saver in the past when a my music HD got corrupted and this behaviour allowed me to find all the tracks I lost through an 'All Music' playlist I maintain.

Additionally, wondering if it is possible to have the sort by in playlists missing tracks put the ones with missing links at the top or bottom as it used to do. This is really handy to spot missing tracks (if the behaviour stated before is brought back).

Hope this makes sense.
Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 03:41:21 PM by jaume

jaume

Bringing this point back, is this something that may be considered in a future release? Being able to have the option to keep dead links in the playlists as it happened in the past when re-scanning the library would really be a great addition.

Steven

• Administrator
bring it up again in a couple of months time as i am not able to consider changes at the moment

Steven

• Administrator
there have been a few complaints about the current behavior where MB detects a file has been deleted in one of the monitored folders and prompts for its removal from the library. If the answer you give is Yes or you have MB configured to automatically apply removal then MB also removes the file from the playlist.
So i have changed the behavior for the next v3 update so the files will not be removed from the playlist ie. the file will be left there but an error exclaimation mark.
It makes it a little safer for situations where you might have temporarily moved the file within windows explorer as an example.
Note that this is not consistent with manually and deleting the file from within MB ie. when you permanently delete a file from within MB, the file is removed from any playlist

alec.tron

Thanks Stephen!

Random question though - I assume there was a reason for deciding to go with editing playlists automatically  - and to keep it consistent - why not offer both, dead file-link auto-removal from Playlists, as well as Remove-From-Playlists-when-file-gets-deleted-from-within-MB (do you get some sort of warning in that case btw ?) as options so users can define their preferred behaviour for these cases ?

Cheers.
c.