Author Topic: Win10 Style [Concepts] [Discussion]  (Read 221430 times)

vpsaxman

Indeed, well said, fully agree and at last a reply with "content"
I'm just missing one thing in it : it's not only a matter of "stripped features" but also preserving equal usability on ALL platforms and by ALL kind of users with special (physical) needs.
The examples I see show the opposite.

But, as Steven said in this thread and others, close to no current functionality will be lost to the new UI enhancements.

Most of your message is about Windows, an those who dislike the 'changes' Microsoft have made to their OS since  Win7.  As it is
now some time since Win.8/Win 8.1 were launched, it seems the overwhelming  majority of Microsoft users are still not convinced
by the 'changes' MS made to their OS. Win.8 was a disaster, Win.8.1 was not much better, and many are determined to stay with
Win.7, which still has the majority of users years after it was released (some are even still using Win.XP). So I wouldn't say Microsoft
is a good example for MB to follow. You even admit that yourself...

Actually most of my message is about change, not Windows, and how users are all up in arms as soon as the smallest change occurs, and the fact people are misinformed and jump to conclusions. My reason for talking about this is that one may or may not like the concept in this thread, but #1. it's not like this is going to be the only skin for MB - if anything, this sparks a conversation regarding user wishes & helping Steven add new features to the skinning engine - and #2. this means MORE functionality, not LESS (with a few exceptions).

I won't be debating the merits of Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 here, it's neither the place to do so nor am I interested, but the most attractive feature of the Windows platform, for me, is that you can do whatever you want with it. You would think Linux would beat Windows in this regard, and it does to some extent, but the incredible variety of software, resources, user mods available for Windows lets the platform take the crown. The changes put forward in this thread won't all of a sudden strip MB of the vast number of options available to power users like it's been suggested by the post that sparked this part of the conversation, which was my point.

Steven

• Administrator
@wquatan, can you be more specific - perhaps an example
@Ulf, do you have any specific concerns for the proposal thats been discussed on the first pages?

Ulf

Indeed, well said, fully agree and at last a reply with "content"
I'm just missing one thing in it : it's not only a matter of "stripped features" but also preserving equal usability on ALL platforms and by ALL kind of users with special (physical) needs.
The examples I see show the opposite.

But, as Steven said in this thread and others, close to no current functionality will be lost to the new UI enhancements.

Most of your message is about Windows, an those who dislike the 'changes' Microsoft have made to their OS since  Win7.  As it is
now some time since Win.8/Win 8.1 were launched, it seems the overwhelming  majority of Microsoft users are still not convinced
by the 'changes' MS made to their OS. Win.8 was a disaster, Win.8.1 was not much better, and many are determined to stay with
Win.7, which still has the majority of users years after it was released (some are even still using Win.XP). So I wouldn't say Microsoft
is a good example for MB to follow. You even admit that yourself...

Actually most of my message is about change, not Windows, and how users are all up in arms as soon as the smallest change occurs, and the fact people are misinformed and jump to conclusions. My reason for talking about this is that one may or may not like the concept in this thread, but #1. it's not like this is going to be the only skin for MB - if anything, this sparks a conversation regarding user wishes & helping Steven add new features to the skinning engine - and #2. this means MORE functionality, not LESS (with a few exceptions).

I won't be debating the merits of Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 here, it's neither the place to do so nor am I interested, but the most attractive feature of the Windows platform, for me, is that you can do whatever you want with it. You would think Linux would beat Windows in this regard, and it does to some extent, but the incredible variety of software, resources, user mods available for Windows lets the platform take the crown. The changes put forward in this thread won't all of a sudden strip MB of the vast number of options available to power users like it's been suggested by the post that sparked this part of the conversation, which was my point.

Thanks, for clearing that up.

Having followed this thread, I agree that little if any functionality will be lost in MB. Which is one reason why up to now, I had not added to what has been said in this thread. It was the liking the criticism that MS has received from its users, for every change  that its received since
Win 8, that seemed wrong where the suggested changes to MB are concerned. 

The comparison with changes that MS made to its OS was maybe the wrong one to use, as the criticism MS received from users and others following the release of Win.8 was largely justified. With Win 10 they seem to be taking some account of the torrent of criticism they received
for the way they introduced the changes to their OS, but they still seem to have way to go to win back with Win.10. the confidence of Windows users in the direction they are going with their OS.

Ulf

Ulf

@wquatan, can you be more specific - perhaps an example
@Ulf, do you have any specific concerns for the proposal thats been discussed on the first pages?

None, Steven. It looks like with V.3, you have another award winner in the making.

Ulf

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
preserving equal usability on ALL platforms and by ALL kind of users with special (physical) needs.

Perfect backwards compatibility is rarely possible, and the attempts sometimes cause more problems than they solve.  However, MB does pretty well in that regard.

Also, a UI which is more touchscreen friendly will inevitably be more accessible.  What is it you see being an obstacle to accessibility?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

ambientbenji

Love to see the new skins.

Only I hope the current Wavebar will still exist in the new skin. In the current metroskins this option isn't available. Also it would be great if the wavebar can co-exist with track information.

Will there be a lighter version?

About touch concerns: it would be great if version 3.0 would support the new window engine (like Spartan/edge does) with continuum support. I don't know the exact details of this, but when programming in Visual Studio, this function shouldn't be that hard to implement? Because Microsoft want all future apps like that.

lnminente

@endeavour1934:
-Opening and saving those files with Paint.net will make things easier for the transparency of bitmap files win MB.

-In your pic of controls on Now Playing Panel http://i.imgur.com/hGR1cb2.jpg I think album and player controls would fit better at the bottom. Having the playlist on top of them. A small problem is that depending on the width of that panel, the player controls will go up or down, so maybe is more intuitive having them always on the bottom. But sure its a minor thing.

-I like the left fixed column of buttons, but depending on the button, it has autohide or not. I hope it keeps it simple and works well always, having autohide enabled or not.

@Steven:
-When a new user puts his music library in the hands of a new music player, he has the fear it could break his files and hours and hours of work on them while learning the new software. Now you have changed the way MB processes music in background, could be implemented a some safety measure to be sure no file will be modified by MB?

-How MB would handle locked files? Would stop the process of editing files in that moment or would move the problematic files to the end of the queue?

-The .lrc lyrics, the rewriting of them to unicode wich is breaking how minilyrics present them. Please don't rewrite the external lyrics when don't needed.

-One thing i find confussing is the Now playing playlist and the sorting of its elements. I think would be great redesigning it in the way that we would always see the actual queue. So if we start a queue sorted by filename but we change the sorting by played date, then the next file in queue after the playing one would be automatically the one we see in the screen (the following one by played date). I got the idea from 1by1, it's so simple and works really well

gunterotto

I completely disagree that a complex program is preferable to a well-designed one. If you like Musicbee the way it is now, don't update, but  I think what Steven is doing makes a lot of sense. Also, it makes me cringe every time I see someone write "M$". Do people still think that is somehow edgy or clever? Or should a company like Microsoft not have the goal of earning money?

^^^ This !!
Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:49:20 PM by gunterotto

DragonClaw

Hello everyone.
I would like to suggest a few additions.

Can we not have an option for a simpler grouping In Artwork View.
The view could look like this:
1. First group name shown as a text label, followed by
2. the albums in the group, followed by
3. a separator [can be extra spacing too I guess?]
4. Second group name shown as a text label
5. and so on...

Now if we have custom grouping in artwork view [group by any tag, instead of by one the only six options available], we could, for example, group our albums by their release type. CDs grouped under one heading, Digital Media grouped under another, Vinyl Discs grouped under the third heading and so on.

Plus if we could have nested grouping, we could, under the Digital Media group, have all "Single Albums" grouped together in a *sub*-heading, separated from "Full-Length Albums" and "Extended Plays" and "Compilation Albums", each type in a simple labeled sub-heading.

The sub-groups along with their albums, could be indented or collapsed, or may be scaled down.

I guess we could achieve a lots of different ways of effective grouping and sub-grouping this way. 

-Rick
Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 03:56:30 AM by DragonClaw

ankor

the anticipation is driving me nuts...can't wait...go Steven go

Steven

• Administrator
the anticipation is driving me nuts...can't wait...go Steven go
i am afraid its taking much longer than i was expecting so its still a couple of months away before a fully functioning beta version is available
See this topic for a demo version:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=15050.msg93922#new

ankor

sorry didn't mean to imply pressure about the wait. my background is software dev so I can truly anticipate and appreciate the massive undertaking you are enduring. the word that keeps coming to mind...refactor, refactor, refactor   ;D   just looking forward to more great stuff!! take the time you need. happy coding!!

endeavour1934

v   I know, "playlists" menu should have been selected...

Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:50:03 PM by endeavour1934

czarface

v   I know, "playlists" menu should have been selected...
Which skins are you using in the pics?

Pingaware

They're unreleased concepts. Read the thread title (and first post).
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.