Author Topic: Win10 Style [Concepts] [Discussion]  (Read 221443 times)

9ido

First of all, I really like the concept so far! I also like the simple and easy on the eyes layout in the image that Steven posted.

I have a question/request. Would every tab remember it's own setting regarding layout? Like autohide or shown panels? So you can really mould every environment (tab) and keep it that way? That would be terrific.

phred

• Global Moderator
i think the current left navigator panel is used more than i expected. So what i plan to do is leave in the left navigator functionality but by default it will be closed with the changes described before stll applying eg. if the left navigator is closed then the playlists or computer folders will display in the left panel (where Artists v is in the screenshot). If the user chooses to have the left Navigator open or auto-open then it will be similar to the current left navigator, except simplified and more in the same style as the rest of the window and the individual Playlists or Computer folders display where "Artists v" is
While I'm not adverse to most of the changes proposed, I really use the left navigation panel quite a lot.  Your proposal to leave it available has really made me happy about the upcoming changes.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

While I'm not adverse to most of the changes proposed, I really use the left navigation panel quite a lot.  Your proposal to leave it available has really made me happy about the upcoming changes.

Idem.

Even though I am probably on the side of the 'Old School' dinosaurs, I am fully confident and have no doubts at all on choices Steven will be making on this.
I would only like to voice that I believe it would not be wise to follow a 'please everybody' path.
We all know the disaster that happened to Windows 8, trying to please both desktop and tablet users at the same time.
That should be a big 'lesson learned'.

For the future I hope we get a nicely operable, and very suave looking MusicBee for Windows 10 tablets (I started saving for a Surface Pro 4 already ;-)
But I would expect that would possibly require a big overhaul on maybe the Compact interface, and not so much on the Desktop interface.

Roadrunner

I'm probably just going to leave its functionality exactly as today, including having playlists/ computer folders expand inside the left navigator if its visible)
Definitely +1!

The first idea of just having a left navigator similar to the tabs would be a big step backwards. For me as a desktop user the left navigator is a very fast way to reach all of over 10 possibilities (Music, Bookmarks, Podcasts, Audiobooks, Video, Radio, Inbox, History, Playlists, Services, Computer) with their subitems. All of them just one click away. For me, this together with the column browser and to see much information without having to scroll are the main advantages of MB. This all is most important in a "working mode", when I edit tracks, prepare playlists, search for specific things asf.

Nevertheless, I like the new layout ideas and see the plus for touchscreen users to have more space between everything. In a "playing mode" I would be very open to have a similar view even on the desktop. So, I hope, you'll find a way, like Windows 10 suggests, to automatically change spacing and maybe other layout elements according to the presence of keyboard and mouse.

Or, as hiccup already mentioned, to distinguish between two separate layouts: the current main (and future desktop) layout and the compact (and future touch) layout? And to improve mainly the compact layout.

Xyzzy

Can someone clarify what problems are going to be fixed by the new layout?

gpzbc

I would only like to voice that I believe it would not be wise to follow a 'please everybody' path.

+1
This!  You will never please everyone.  Many people get comfortable and don't want to change or learn something new even if it is better in the end.  Personally, I will enjoy the fresh new look.

gpzbc

I don't think anything is broken.

Steven

• Administrator
hopefully it looks cleaner and for the new user, it will default to a much simpler layout. For existing users based on the discussions so far you will still have the same functionality as today. My expectation is the confusion that is quite often reported regarding "selected tracks" vs. "playing track" in the Now Playing panel will be eliminated. There will be improvement for artist navigation and a new album oriented view for the now playing panel. I anticipate being able to simply the layout options which again can be a challenge to some new users.
Overall I hope it will be a cleaner and more obvious interface with some good new functional additions
Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:15:39 PM by Steven

hiccup

This is probably getting a bit off-topic, but the 'behavioral' aspect is quite interesting.
Many experienced, loyal and contributing MusicBee users came to a certain level by being challenged by views, options and possibilities they didn't understand at first, but were investigative enough to put in the effort to learn and understand. It's really amazing how MusicBee has brought the level of 'The Art Of Music Management On a PC' up and what so many users are doing with it.

I do have a great respect that development is also keeping a big concern on novice users.
Yet I also feel you will get the user base you deserve, and I myself would not care too much about pleasing the more 'superfluous' and maybe a bit 'lazy' users who have more focus on things looking hip, easy and fashionable and might be put-off if things might look 'difficult' already at first glance.
All respect and my support for trying to please that category of users too, but it if and when that would have drawbacks for users that are investing lots of time and effort in trying to get the best out of what MusicBee has to offer I can understand some rumble that that might trigger  ;-)

redwing

My expectation is the confusion that is quite often reported regarding "selected tracks" vs. "playing track" in the Now Playing panel will be eliminated.

That would be great. But the proposed solution of yours doesn't sound good, as I pointed out already.

- the right panel would still support pretty much the same options as today, except "Playing Tracks v" would toggle between "Playing Album v" (a new view that only shows the playing album with a small picture and some album info)) and "Selected Tracks v" where the now playing list would show the selected files and the rest of the panel based on those selected tracks

Not sure about this. Then if I choose "Selected Tracks v", can't I see now playing list? Why does that have to affect the content of now playing list instead of track info panel?

If implemented that way, it won't be possible to select a queued track in now playing list to view its details from track info panel. Also I don't get who would want to see the list of selected files in now playing list panel. Is that just for educating new users about the feature? Then it's really the tail wagging the dog.

I hope you will come up with a better idea. For instance, track info panel header, instead of now playing list, could toggle between "Playing Track v" and "Selected Tracks v".

Kalnoc

Forgive me if this is an silly question but will the column browser still be an available option? I ask because I didn't see it in any of the screenshots here. Will I be able to use that and hide the jump bar if I want?

Steven

• Administrator

TeutonJon78

I'll add my support to the "don't remove the left panel navigator" crowd. I use many folders of playlists, and use the navigator extensively for them (and rarely to never use "Now Playing" -- I keep the right bar bar completely hidden in fact).

Granted, there might be a new way under the proposed change, but I think that it's important to have that ability still there.

Plus, I use the navigator to drag songs into those playlists, which is easier than right-clicking to add them, especially with a hierarchical setup.

On a usage note, the only other feature I really use in the left panel is the file navigator to play songs from folders. that could easily be moved to a tab.

Have you thought of doing something like the sidebar in LibreOffice? Rather than having it be one giant menu, you could sort of "tabify" the left column. Then each view could be a little more custom. For example, it could have a devices, folder, playlist tab, or you could just shrink it to the side or hide it completely if you don't use those features. Then you could simplify/design each of those views rather than requiring them all to be part of the same "tree structure".

So, you could keep the left view as forms of "library management" type views and leave the center and it's options for content viewing only.

Spiron

Looks really good but there is something I haven't seen mentioned.  Are the player controls going to always be docked at the bottom or will they continue to be movable?  I myself tend to put them at the top but I do know that most have them at the bottom so if that was a permanent change I would get used to it.

Steven

• Administrator
Are the player controls going to always be docked at the bottom or will they continue to be movable?
it will still support the 4 player panel dock options