Author Topic: Win10 Style [Concepts] [Discussion]  (Read 221522 times)

gpzbc

I just want to add that I am excited about all of these changes.  While implementation is not likely to be perfect initially, I believe that it will be working toward a more efficient, more user-friendly, and a more aesthetically pleasing interface.  I'm all in!

With that being said, I have been "all in" for a number of pieces of software that have done a major overhaul of the interface.  Some people get comfortable and are very adverse to change, and I imagine those people will raise a ruckus and give a lot of push-back to the proposed overhaul.   If those types of people had their way, they would preserve every piece of software to match the Windows XP version that they are running. 

Thank you for the active development!

Ulf

Looks good...  looks very good.

At first glance it does not seem all that different from what MB looks
like using a Dark Metro series skin, minus the left panel... but I guess
V.3 will be a bit  different visually, and to use.

Just two minor queries:

As I use Library a fair bit, will I  be able to have it displayed while
I am using MB (as I like having what's available, listed in music
categories)  or you planning to change how the contents of the
Library are displayed/listed?

Will V.3 be available with a darker skin?
(I've kinda got used working with MB, in Black an Orange skin)

ankor

On my desktop I mainly want all the information and options of an application available as fast and easy as possible.
On my tablet or phone I wouldn't mind when many advanced options were hidden or not even be available at all.
YES!  What he said.
I use MB on my desktop for "work" (managing my music collection) and my devices for listening.

So what I am probably trying to say here; please don't make too many changes for using MusicBee on a desktop PC, since it is close to perfection already.
+1

Yes, what they said!!

MB user for less than 1 year but I love it!!!  Just began reading this thread.  My background is software development (Windows desktop).  I understand the dilemma of backward compatibility but if it's time to make room for advancements, then breakage must be accepted.  You'll never please everyone.  Keep in mind some users are big on artwork, lyrics, etc while (like me) I'm interested in max real estate for the stuff I want to see and work on while listening (Now Playing list, music list based on selected filter/playlist/column browser choices, etc.)

I like minimalistic but the challenge is convenience vs minimal.  The panel summaries (n files, n MB, dd hh:mm:ss) are very helpful but don't necessarily needed to be constantly visible.  A mouse-over balloon/bubble would be terrific and it reduces clutter.  My "Playing Track" panel has a "gear" icon linked to a menu with stuff like shuffle on/off, shuffle settings, stop after current, output to and so on.  Awesome!  And well implemented in MB!!  Easy  access to lots of goodies AND reduced clutter.  I think the UI changes have been great over the past few months.

FYI...I really like seeing the length of remaining play time for the current track.  Excessive space between items in a list...not so good if you're trying to minimize scrolling...maybe 1x, 1.5x, 2x vertical spacing options?  Filters (query building) are FANTASTIC!!

Suffice!!!

I'm excited anytime I see a new update and the confidence is very high that what is coming is more and more TERRIFIC stuff.  Can't wait.

mikebo

Excessive space between items in a list...not so good if you're trying to minimize scrolling...maybe 1x, 1.5x, 2x vertical spacing options?

Maybe MB could detect (at least in windows 10 as it offers this continuum mode) when a device is in a keyboard and mouse mode and present the standard interface in that case, but in touch mode change the scalling/padding on the fly to better fit touch input.
I wonder if microsoft will solve this. The universal apps don't seem to scale their interface and feel a little overblown in traditional desktop mode.

Steven

• Administrator
i am still going to go ahead with these changes as described above, the the mockup i posted before being the default for new users http://getmusicbee.com/images/forum/Win10Proposal1.jpg
However, looking at various screenshots and settings for how people are arranging their layout, and i think the current left navigator panel is used more than i expected. So what i plan to do is leave in the left navigator functionality but by default it will be closed with the changes described before stll applying eg. if the left navigator is closed then the playlists or computer folders will display in the left panel (where Artists v is in the screenshot). If the user chooses to have the left Navigator open or auto-open then it will be similar to the current left navigator, except simplified and more in the same style as the rest of the window and the individual Playlists or Computer folders display where "Artists v" is

Layout for when the user enables the left navigator

@redwing, i agree the Artists layout should not be a selectable view - however i dont agree that clicking an Artist in the Artists left panel should open it as that would be different from the normal/ expected filtering behavior of that panel. Instead i plan to have it open if the user clicks on the artist text anywhere in the main panel for any view
Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:35:22 AM by Steven

redwing

@redwing, i agree the Artists layout should not be a selectable view - however i dont agree that clicking an Artist in the Artists left panel should open it as that would be different from the normal/ expected filtering behavior of that panel. Instead i plan to have it open if the user clicks on the artist text anywhere in the main panel for any view

No, I do think artist view can be a selectable fourth view if you split the current artwork view into album view and artist view. Also I didn't mean thumbnail browser for its default view. I meant the current artwork view grouped by artist.

Alumni

Just a question regarding skinning. Will there be a new set of skin elements for this update, or how is that going to work?

Steven

• Administrator
Just a question regarding skinning. Will there be a new set of skin elements for this update, or how is that going to work?
its too early to say - i am still just planning/ discussing what will be done to feel comfortable there is reasonable agreement before going into the detail. My feeling at this point is it can probably work with existing skins but there will be new elements needed and older skins probably wont work well without the new elements

redwing

I'm a little confused. Are you gonna make thumbnail browser always visible on the left, or it's just a default layout and people can show/hide it as is now? Also, if left navigator is hidden, then playlists and computer nodes will appear, when active, at the same place as left navigator, right? Then people could show or hide thumbnail browser optionally depending on their need just as with column browser.

Steven

• Administrator
i have updated the picture. I am trying to make the behavior as consistent as possible between when the user has the left navigator visible or hidden.
That would require playlists and computer folders be displayed where the Artists panel is. If the user chooses not to have that "Artists v" panel visible then it would need to open the panel for playlists/ computer folders (in the same way it already does for podcasts)

redwing

Then will thumbnail browser move on the right? Or, it's replaced by playlists/computer nodes? In other words, could people still use thumbnail browser for filtering the content of playlists and folders?

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
I think going with your original plan;
- the left side of the main panel (artists in the first screenshot) could have Artists/ Albums/ Genres/ etc and also the Library Explorer as selectable where it says "Album Artists v", except when PLAYLISTS is active then the left panel would show the playlists; COMPUTER is active then it would show the folders; DEVICES would auto-open as a tab but i need to think some more about that one.
- also optionally the left panel could still allow a picture (artist, album cover etc) down the bottom left and perhaps the now playing list could also be optionally docked on the bottom left as well
and completely removing the left navigation panel is a better idea than having some half-way between hybrid.

As you said, you could still have the Library Explorer and a picture (artist, album cover etc) under the 'Artists v" column.  If you did dock the now playing list to the LH side, maybe it could open a second LH panel (as per your left navigator active layout) combining the explorer+image and restore the 'Artists v" column to full length.

Added:
Whatever happens, I hope it's soon.
I've got a new skin waiting in the wings to go  :)
Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:50:17 AM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
i plan to start looking at this after doing some fixes for the Upnp plugin but it will likely take several weeks depending on what is decided

Steven

• Administrator
and completely removing the left navigation panel is a better idea than having some half-way between hybrid.
what has been discussed from the initial proposal is not changing and will be the default for new users. However i can imagine the reaction if the left navigator is removed completely as it does provide useful functionality to some people (I just dont think the average user needs it). So it will still be available when unhidden. I'm probably just going to leave its functionality exactly as today, including having playlists/ computer folders expand inside the left navigator if its visible)

redwing

I'm probably just going to leave its functionality exactly as today, including having playlists/ computer folders expand inside the left navigator if its visible

Yes, that's what I initially imagined and that would make things more consistent than replacing thumbnail browser with a new panel.