Author Topic: Playlist Dead Links?  (Read 5447 times)

DarthRavenous

I feel like I have been going around in circles as I decided to move my library to a new folder after I created playlists in musicbee. My problem is now all of my playlists are giving me deadlinks and after trying to remap or move them to a new folder I have not been able to get my playlists back. The only solution at current is to go into explorer and manually select each track and readd it. What am I doing wrong?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Your best bet at this point is probably do a search-and-replace in your playlist files to change the path.  If you get a program like Notepad++, you can do more than one file at a time.

In the future, if you move your files from within MusicBee, this shouldn't be a problem.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

DarthRavenous

I have notepad++ how would I manually change the path's?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Open all your playlists, hit CTRL+F, go to the Replace tab and enter the old path and the new path respectively.  Maybe test it on one file to be sure it's working correctly, first.  Then use the "Replace in all opened files" button.  Voila!
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

Would be more useful if you press Ctrl+F and then open third tab "Find in Files". No need to open all playlist files. You can configure through filters and options which could change files in sub-folders of the target folder as well. But before doing this, backup your current playlist folder.

Zak

• Global Moderator
It wasn't mentioned, but you can find your playlists in the folder you specified for your MusicBee library.
By default MusicBee saves playlists in its own MBP format which can't be edited in Notepad. You'll need to edit your preferences - the Library tab I think - and change the playlist format to PLS or M3U which are just text files and can be edited.
Bee excellent to each other...

DarthRavenous

I tried using the Ctrl-F thing but I think I am doing it wrong and creating more problems. I opened the Playlists in Notepad but editing them would take a very long time.  My music folder also keeps increasing I went from 64g to 110g and for some reason musicbee is not deleting the duplicates.

DarthRavenous

I tried editing them in notepad but now musicbee won't recognize the playlists. I feel like I am going in circles close to what I should be doing but not achieving anything.

redwing

Use the latest version of MB. Some old versions had a bug importing m3u playlists. Also refresh (F5) would help when editing or moving playlists was done outside of MB.

DarthRavenous

I upgraded to the 2.5 version just now and when I edit in Notepad all the songs disappear from the playlist.

redwing

Keep in mind what Zak had said above. Make sure you're editing m3u files, not those uneditable mbp files.

DarthRavenous

redwing

What if you import them using File> Playlists> Import Playlists?

DarthRavenous

I don't know what happened but for some reason I got it to work xD, btw thanks for all the help I prob wouldn't have tried unless you kept giving me knocks in the ballpark, now comes the long trek to the notepad mordor....... ;D