Author Topic: File naming templates  (Read 3433 times)

Norgium

I've got so much I could write here, but here's what I just finished working on right now.
I have my music folder organized through folders with the first letter of the album artist which then contain folders per artist.
I used to do this with a portable Foobar2000 first organizing the artist folders and then dragging each one of them in 27 different folders (each letter plus one for numbers and symbols)

Now I wanted to make a change to how albums with several discs are stored, but didn't feel like automating a small part and then manually moving everything so I checked what MusicBee can do.
In the end I'm reorganizing the whole thing instead cause I can't believe I managed to automate all of this without having to do several runs:
- Store artist subfolders within folders for each first letter
- Store anything with Various Artists in \V\ , while adding the artist name to these filenames only
- Store anything beginning with a symbol or a number in \#\
- Store any artists starting with 'The ' in a folder with the first letter of the next word

In case anyone wants to see what that looked like:
https://i.imgur.com/QKS7wZe.png

It could have been shorter but some files would have given problems. Good thing it shows a preview before moving thousands of files.

Pingaware

I think you can shorten that down further - you can replace the first and last rules with this - $Group($Sort(<Album Artist>),1)\<Album Artist>\<Release Type>s\<Album>\<Disc#><Track#>-<Title> - and get the same effect.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Norgium

I think you can shorten that down further - you can replace the first and last rules with this - $Group($Sort(<Album Artist>),1)\<Album Artist>\<Release Type>s\<Album>\<Disc#><Track#>-<Title> - and get the same effect.

Thanks, this actually improves it quite some. I wasn't really sure what 'sortable value' meant and somehow missed the group function. As for the <Disc#> tag, only Disc-Track# is listed in the organiser so I figured MusicBee simply uses that instead. Kind of strange that the 'Other Fields' menu there is so much shorter than the one which appears when choosing which columns to display in the main window. Apparently a few exceptional cases existed where an album has a disc number tagged as 01 instead of 1, which got shortened to just 0 in my method.
Though a <Release Type> tag is not recognized in mine, I guess this is a custom tag you created? It's a nice idea cause I have several albums bought on CD first and later found on vinyl, I never really figured how to best organise those while keeping both.

As you may be able to tell I'm the kind of person to try and figure things out on my own until it seems to work instead of reading any documentation first, that group function is incredibly useful. Though I did end up learning more about regular expressions by not using it.

Pingaware

Thanks, this actually improves it quite some. I wasn't really sure what 'sortable value' meant and somehow missed the group function.

The sortable values are just those to which the "Ignore Words" list applies. As a result, the $Sort function will only work if you have the "Ignore Words" list filled to your satisfaction (but you seem like the kind of user who will already have done that.

Though a <Release Type> tag is not recognized in mine, I guess this is a custom tag you created? It's a nice idea cause I have several albums bought on CD first and later found on vinyl, I never really figured how to best organise those while keeping both.

Balls, knew I'd miss one of my tags when I was modifying to match your current structure. Yeah, that's one of my custom tags - I use it to denote albums, live albums, compilations, single and E.P.s (which later on all get used for further tags).

As you may be able to tell I'm the kind of person to try and figure things out on my own until it seems to work instead of reading any documentation first, that group function is incredibly useful. Though I did end up learning more about regular expressions by not using it.

The group function is not a particularly well known one. I stumbled on it only by searching specifically for a way to achieve what I wanted. Try it and see is always a good way to learn about stuff (and yes, I learnt lots about RegEx through MB just like you!)
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.