Author Topic: How to erase library?  (Read 26379 times)

Wet

Is there a way I can erase my whole library ONLY from Music Bee?

I want to start fresh and many of the albums I have on there are corrupt or missing tracks.

Thanks, MB has certainly grown since I last tried her out.
Bravo on all the hard work you've put into it! Well done.

Alumni

MusicBee will prompt you whether you want to delete your files from the database or from the hard drive.

Wet

Sorry, I don't think I explained myself well enough.

I *want* to delete everything I have in Music Bee library.

How do I do this?
Tried un/reinstalling but the tracks from last time are still there. :-[

Pingaware

Do you want to keep the files? In that case, it will be easier to just delete the library file itself. The library location can be most easily found by going to File>Library>Open Library and seeing what the path is. I'd advise creating a new library (from somewhere in the same set of menus) before deleting the old one though, just so MB has something to load up when you restart it.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Wet

Yeah, I want to keep the files on my PC, but just erase them all from Music Bee.

Please, give instructions like I am 10 years old. Because this is all new to me and I don't know where these things are ...

EDIT:
For instance, when I install it's saying it's installing to 'Program Files (x86)' ..yet I don't see any crumbs of 'Music Bee' listed there after I uninstall. Yet, it knows what music I already uploaded last time, so those settings are creeping around my computer somewhere, right?

Thanks.
Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:56:22 AM by Wet

Pingaware

Follow the instructions in my last post.

First update to the latest patch so I know we're working with the same menus.

Click on the MusicBee in the top left corner and go to File>Library and click on Create New Library. Choose where to save this and remember it.

Now go to File>Library>Open Library and look at your available libraries. One is the new one, the other(s) should be the ones you want to delete. Note the paths for these to be deleted libraries.

Close MB. Go to the path(s) of the to be deleted library. Delete everything in that folder and the folder itself.

Open MB. You should now have a blank library to use.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Wet

Jesus Christ, this thing takes for.ev.errrr to import.  :-\

IAAMRadio

The clean/delete library option is not part of MB and it's a shame.  A simple function that other less superior programs have unfortunate MB does not.  Seems this feature is requested a lot but the developer refuses to add it.

Zak

• Global Moderator
It hasn't been requested a lot, and as there isn't a difference between "cleaning" a library and creating a new one there isn't a need for it.
Bee excellent to each other...

IAAMRadio

There is a difference far as functionality.    I don't need to see a library that is no longer used.  Your rational I could have 10 listed libraries but I only use one.  A tad Arrogant in response M8 but not surprised based on your posts here.

The developer thinks it's not needed but 100s of users have said please add it it's responses such as yours that push people away from even wanting to support the software. Hence, no donation.    But hey, it's free so I can't complain, only offering a suggestion that is standard in other similar programs. Just so happens this one has the best features overall despite the lack of this function.

By the way cleaning a library is different then creating a new one.   Media Monkey for example, lets you clean the library and still us the same name without having to create a new one.   A simple one click solution, and it's not bad.  The rest of Media Monkey is ok compared to MusicBee.

I hold to my suggestion.
Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:47:12 PM by IAAMRadio

tonekneeo

Old thread, but if you go into your Windows Music folder you will see a Musicbee folder. Delete it and then reload Musicbee. If you have music stored there just delete the Musicbee library files or move your music to a different folder before deleting. It should start like a fresh install. Hope this helps someone.
Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 05:52:23 PM by tonekneeo

phred

• Global Moderator
Old thread, but if you go into your Windows Music folder you will see a Musicbee folder. Delete it and then reload Musicbee. If you have music stored there just delete the Musicbee library files or move your music to a different folder before deleting. It should start like a fresh install. Hope this helps someone.
First off you're replying to people in this thread who haven't been on the forum since they originally posted - 2015.

Secondly, and more important, you are completely wrong as to the location of the library and how to delete it. This is a complete disservice to anyone who comes across this thread looking for information on how to delete the library. If you don't know, please don't post. Or at least put a disclaimer that you're not certain about the information.

For anyone looking to delete their library, the second post from user Pingaware is the way to do it.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

tonekneeo

That was a little harsh considering I just did this to erase my library the way the op was requesting. If you try it you will see that it works. I am not trying to pick a fight I was simply trying to help because the way in the pingaware post does not completely remove it and there maybe new users coming across this thread as it is one of the first links google gives when searching this issue.

TomCunningham

Yeah, I know, another necro post, but I noticed back in 2015 that someone had posted an issue just like mine and there were no responses. I wanted a temporary library to use on a flash drive, I didn't want the library to stick around, but I DID want the files to remain on the flash drive. It was easy to remove all the files *only* from the library, but as far as I could tell there was no way to remove the library itself from MusicBee short of 1) deleting the files on the flash drive, which I didn't want to do, or 2) using the last poster's suggestion of deleting the MusicBee folder, which I did. Though draconian, it did accomplish what I wanted and rebuilding my original library was very quick. What I wanted to know is, is there any other way to remove all traces of a library from MusicBee without deleting files? Thanks.

frankz

What I wanted to know is, is there any other way to remove all traces of a library from MusicBee without deleting files? Thanks.
No.

You do have the option of not opening the library that you don't want to use.  I'm not sure why you would want to keep the files for a library that you do not intend to use at all for anything in the future - they are MB specific files.  Most people don't want their computers littered with orphaned, purposeless files.
Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 04:20:53 AM by frankz