Author Topic: MusicBee as upnp renderer  (Read 8494 times)

roadster

Firstly can I apologise in advance if I have missed earlier questions on this topic. I have only just 'discovered' MusicBee and as a player it is exactly what I am looking for. But I am a bit surprised that the recent addition of UPNP services has not included a player/renderer which for me would be the facility which would make it my key music software. If it would download and play files and playlists from my NAS server the package would be unbeatable.

If I've got it wrong no doubt someone will put me right.

Best regards.

Steven

• Administrator
i am not seeing a strong use case for doing it - why would you need musicbee to act as a renderer ie. why wouldnt you just use musicbee to select and play your files from within musicbee?
I can see a case so musicbee could respond to remote control commands but there are already plugins that do that.

Zak

• Global Moderator
I think that's what most people would do, myself included.
If your PC can already connect to your NAS, you can create a library in MusicBee that contains the music files on the NAS.
Bee excellent to each other...

roadster

Why do I need a upnp renderer? Well the simple answer is that I have a DLNA server and I want to play music from it. To further explain I am trying to achieve an integrated digital music source provider. That means:-

1) Automatic start up with favourite internet radio stations playing.
2) Pre-loaded playlists from my DLNA server.
3) Streaming from the DLNA server of high resolution audio files ( typically wav and flac )
4) Headless operation with remote control using both player specific Android remote apps and generic DLNA remote control.
5) Output via external USB sound device to SPDIF to DAC to amplifier. Preferably bit-perfect ( i.e. no resampling or volume control ).

Yes I could use SMB to mount a network drive and directly access files on the server but because of the more flexible remote options and the complete integration with other player clients I don't really want to make this device an exception.

As you may guess I have tried many different software options and MusicBee is top of the list in many respects, just lacking this one key feature.

Steven

• Administrator
thanks for the feedback.
I wont do anything more for now unless there are other people expressing similar requirements

roadster

thanks for the feedback.
I wont do anything more for now unless there are other people expressing similar requirements

Thanks Steven. I'm not going to conduct a campaign for my own benefit but I hope that other music lovers discover MusicBee and ask for something similar. I'll check back from time to time.

Best regards

Panka

I'm not sure if I'm right, but do I need a UPNP renderer to play music or podcasts from my smartphone to musicbee? In this case, I think it would be a nice feature. Thanks
Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 06:37:26 PM by Panka

Kjetil-A

Hi,
Old thread, but anyway ☺️

I'm quite new to musicbee, but it looks like this might be "the one". A great player with the possibillity to control it with an app. Fabtastic! I'll use it as a music player installed on a minipc connected directly to my stereo amplifier trough an async usb.

Me for one would like to advocate the possibility to use musicbee as a dlna/upnp renderer. And sorry if i'm asking for features that allready is available, but I have not in my search found this possible yet in musicbee. The thing is that I also want to be able to play music from streaming services like tidal etc. With bubbleupnp this is possible, but only trough a dlna/upnp renderer. I allready own a dlna ready device, but it is slow and not very stable so I want to replace it with that minipc i mentioned above so that I can play all my flac files, play music from a streaming service and get album, song and artist information on the screen using the fewest server, pc programs and apps as possible.

Bats586

Hi,

I see there's not been a lot of activity on this thread, but this is a feature I would find very useful.

It's the one thing I find missing from MusicBee - I have to resort to MediaMonkey when I need this.

Appreciate there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in this, so not expecting any activity.

Anyway, thanks for MusicBee, it's a great bit of software.

Bats
Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:42:31 PM by Bats586

krunok

Isn't there a plugin for UPNP support? have you tried this?
https://getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/11/upnp-dlna-device-support/

This plugin works as an UPnP server and controller, but not as a renderer.

I really hope this feature will be added soon! :)

I also kindly asked Konstantinos to add this feature to the MusicBee Remote so music files can be easily played from UPnP server via Remote.
Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:00:18 PM by krunok

krunok

i am not seeing a strong use case for doing it - why would you need musicbee to act as a renderer ie. why wouldnt you just use musicbee to select and play your files from within musicbee?

That is exactly how I want to use it, but it would be more convenient to do that by browsing through my UPnP server on my Synology NAS than via network share.

ido_doron

I find this feature helpful too, and hope one day it will be added.

stefil

Hi,

I'm using Music Bee on my professionnal laptop.

I don't use very often because i miss the upnp client and/or renderer feature.

My use cases are several :

- At home work, i wish i can browse my huge uPnp server on synology with no need to index it in music bee as :
  o the NAS already have done it
  o these huge library will be useless when i'm at office or in travel
- At work or in travel, i wish i can browse either :
  o my mobile library as i handle it with hardware DAP devices  for 4G or wifi such as Intenso memory to move or Huawei E5885 (both implement uPnp server capabilities)
  o my colleagues Libraries as they share it with win10 uPnp embeded server

Instead of using the impressive music bee GUI, i use foobar which has a poor GUI but full uPnp implementation.

Best regards
Stephane

lostb053

I'd like UPnP renderer implementation too.
Like I'm trying to find a music player with good gui that uses UPnP
I considered using vlc but it ain't controllable from any active window like in musicbee
Old thread but I hope this feature is added in musicbee

I can see a case so musicbee could respond to remote control commands but there are already plugins that do that.

Also about that, when using musicbee as portable player, you may have to switch between different file systems
So indexing music in application every time is hassle and in such cases you would prefer having music stored in your phone since it's more handy (well my use case, cuz i have really large collection of music stored offline)

Why not use phone to play then?
Well laptop/pc speakers are better, and i like control i get while playing in musicbee better during work, specially because of global shortcuts.

Edit: It's totally a personal wish and opinion from my side, but it would be great to see this feature getting added, or maybe just a plugin like upnp controller
Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 03:58:13 PM by lostb053