Author Topic: how to keep Inbox updated when using 3d party programs  (Read 5430 times)

hiccup

I never actively used the Inbox feature of MusicBee, and just started experimenting with it a little bit to see if I have been missing an important feature I could put to good use.

Currently I am running into the problem that the Inbox doesn't seem to be actualized when files have been edited with 3d party programs.

To explain what I am trying to achieve at the moment:
I have created a monitored folder which I intend to use as an Inbox folder. I have checked the 'continuously monitor' option.
When I see a file in the Inbox that I want to correct, and I use a 3d party program to do that (Tag&Rename), the changes are not picked-up by MB. Not even after a restart.

What can I do so that those edits are reflected in MusicBee? (apart from rescanning my complete library)

Zak

• Global Moderator
After editing tags in another program, in MusicBee: Right-click > Send To > File Rescan.
This will update the MusicBee database with the new tag values. You can assign it to a keyboard shortcut to make it easier.
Bee excellent to each other...

hiccup

Ah, thnx.
I've been searching for a function to rescan the folder, but it has to be 'files'.

Zak

• Global Moderator
If you right-click a folder in the Computer node of the left-hand navigation panel there's a Rescan Files command there too.

hiccup

When I right-click a folder there, and use 'file-rescan' nothing happens. (should it?)
I'll have to go into that folder, select all the files, and then do the rescan.
That's not very convenient too?

Zak

• Global Moderator
I assumed it was the same thing. Maybe not.  ???

Steven

• Administrator
there is a flaw introduced with the recent menu re-org with this command - its fixed for the next update

hiccup

Thnx, the option to scan folders is fixed indeed.

Yet I keep my wish in the wishlist for having the option to rescan 'Inbox'.

hiccup

When I have deleted files from my monitored 'Inbox' folder from outside MusicBee (through Explorer), and I rescan that folder, changes to existing files are being picked-up alright, but the deleted files are still shown.
Also the Inbox count in the left panel is not adjusted accordingly.

Am I doing something wrong?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
When I have deleted files from my monitored 'Inbox' folder from outside MusicBee (through Explorer), and I rescan that folder, changes to existing files are being picked-up alright, but the deleted files are still shown.
Also the Inbox count in the left panel is not adjusted accordingly.

Am I doing something wrong?

Unless you delete the files from within MB, it has no reason to think they shouldn't still be present.  I think there is an option to remove missing files without your input, but then you would have no indication if files went missing from your library by accident, either.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

So there is currently no way to have only the Inbox rescanned and updated?
To achieve that you will have to rescan the complete library?

redwing

To address such an issue, I mainly use one specific folder for inbox tracks and rescan the folder from computer node to update. It would be very convenient if "rescan" context menu command is added to inbox that would rescan all "inbox" folders at once and update inbox content accordingly.

Steven

• Administrator
i havent read this topic in detail but this is probably relevant. One of the first things i will be doing with the next series is updating the file monitor so it detects updated/ deleted files in the folders being monitored - currently only new files are detected