Author Topic: MusicBee ignoring certain files on folder scan  (Read 8640 times)

Budro

I noticed I have a hundreds of music files that aren't displayed in the library.  Using the Computer "explorer" in MusicBee, I can send these files to "Music Library" and then see them fine.  It looks to me that the missing ones have filenames like this "01 Hells Bells.mp3" instead of "01-Hells Bells.mp3".  No filters are set.  I'd prefer not having to find all the missing files and deal with them manually.  Is there some setting or another way of getting them into MusicBee?

Budro

Oops, no the issue is that the default(?) behavior of MusicBee is to put new files into the Inbox and not into the library(?) and I have to manually add each new file.  This behavior seems odd to me especially as I used MusicBee to rip these new files.  My expectation is that when I rip a file using MusicBee it's automatically added to the library.  I'm not sure what the need for the Inbox is and it certainly wasn't clear to me that I needed to manually futz with it (maybe it should be called something other than "Inbox" -- "Staging").  No other music manager I have used has such a thing.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
No other music manager I have used has such a thing.

You make that sound like it's bad.  :o

If you don't want to use the Inbox (to hold your new files while you check for correct Artwork size, no clipping in Replay Gain, all extra tags are in place and correct etc, etc) then adjust your Preferences.  There is an option to send all your new files directly to the Library.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Zak

• Global Moderator
It's different, therefore it must be bad and should be changed immediately.  ::)
Bee excellent to each other...

phred

• Global Moderator
It's somewhat strange that lots of people complain that MB doesn't do what their old player did.  Well, MB -isn't- your old player.  As Zak and Bee-liever both said, just because it's different than what you're used to doesn't mean it's bad.  Bee-liever even suggested a work-around.  I would think that every single MB user has come from some other player.  If one wants to try something new, one must learn to adapt.  Or remain stagnant.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Budro

Yes, I think this behavior is bad because it is surprising and adds no value.  I wasted an hour on this.  I can just as easily check the tags, artwork, etc. *after* the music is added to my library as I can when it is in the Inbox.  Maybe when a user rips a CD for the first time, MusicBee should warn them of this behavior and what they need to do.

Where is the Preference to automatically have ripped music added to the library?  On the CD Ripping tab, I see a checkbox to add ripped files to the Inbox but nothing about adding to the library.
Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:05:50 AM by Budro

Steven

• Administrator

Ulf

It's different, therefore it must be bad and should be changed immediately.  ::)

People sometimes like do things differently...

I am one of those who seldom uses the Inbox.   In fact when I switched from MediaMonkey, I did wonder
why a media player needed a mail box, till I realised what its function was when new files started
ending up there.

Maybe a name change to something like New Files could indicate what its function is.

Bee-liever

Where is the Preference to automatically have ripped music added to the library?  On the CD Ripping tab, I see a checkbox to add ripped files to the Inbox but nothing about adding to the library.

I didn't say just ripped music...

There is an option to send all your new files directly to the Library.

In Preferences> Library you have the option to send all new files to the library, so you won't have to worry about them ending up in the Inbox at all.

Budro

In Preferences> Library you have the option to send all new files to the library, so you won't have to worry about them ending up in the Inbox at all.

For this to work, it's also necessary to change the default preference to make MusicBee continuously monitor the music folders.

Obviously, y'all have a particular usage model in mind with the Inbox concept.  That usage model is not obvious or documented and, so for a new user, it's an unpleasant surprise.  Common operations should be streamlined. This is just constructive feedback from an experienced UI developer.
Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:42:13 PM by Budro

Bee-liever

Obviously, y'all have a particular usage model in mind with the Inbox concept.

No.  I moved over from Winamp with no idea about the Inbox, but rather than saying that MB didn't work the same as my old player, I was willing to give the new idea a try.  Now I can't imagine going to another player without it.

Pingaware

No.  I moved over from Winamp with no idea about the Inbox, but rather than saying that MB didn't work the same as my old player, I was willing to give the new idea a try.  Now I can't imagine going to another player without it.

This. But with moving from WMP.
Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 01:48:50 AM by Pingaware
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Zak

• Global Moderator

No.  I moved over from Winamp with no idea about the Inbox, but rather than saying that MB didn't work the same as my old player, I was willing to give the new idea a try.  Now I can't imagine going to another player without it.

This. But also with the Now Playing List.

Off-topic I guess, but now trying to use any player that doesn't have a visible "queue" (i.e. separate from playlists) feels like the dark ages.
Bee excellent to each other...

Budro

Yes, you do.  MusicBee has a particular way of adding CDs to the library which involves ripping the CD, going to the Inbox, reviewing each file, and then sending them to the library.  This is the usage model I referred to.  I did try it; I was forced to try it until I changed the Preferences.  All of your responses to my simple confusion and constructive criticism have been condescending.  Is that the way you treat all users?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think it's true that there's no obvious way to send ripped files directly to the library.  You can rip them to a monitored folder that is sent directly to the library, but that's not an option on the CD Ripping screen.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)