Author Topic: File Rescan Missing?  (Read 28854 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
Not too many versions ago, I could select File > Rescan and a pop-up would appear that allowed me to select various directories.  Or select all directories.  Now, with v2.5.5478, I see File > Library > Rescan All Files.  If the current behavior replaced the former behavior, I would like to ask for the old way to be restored.  With a large library, rescanning all files takes much longer than rescanning one, or a few, directories.  More often than not I only need to scan a few specific directories.

Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

redwing

It's simply renamed to "Scan Folders for New Files" command. "Rescan All Files" was one of "Advanced" commands that's always there.

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks redwing.  I feel might dumb on that one.  I didn't even notice it.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

redwing

Yeah, the command was hardly noticeable because it was under Advanced sub-menu.

Exiled

I cannot seem to find where the "Rescan all files" action went or what replaced it. "Scan Folders for New Files" does not seem to rescan existing files.

EDIT: I also cannot seem to find where the "Remove Dead Links" option went, besides it being there when scanning on start-up, since it was also part of the "Rescan All Files" tool.
Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:05:58 AM by Exiled

Pingaware

If you use monitored folders, you can assign a hotkey to "General: Refresh and Rescan Monitored Folders", although that seems a little unintuitive. You can also just select all tracks with Ctrl+A and send them to a file rescan or assign a hotkey to "General: File Rescan". I am surprised that Rescan All Files has gone though - I thought that was being kept.

The remove dead links option is still in General Preferences where it has always been, in addition to when it used to be in the Rescan All Files dialogue..
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Steven

• Administrator
File Rescan is now only available in right click/ Send To/ File Rescan (its been in that place for ages now)
If you need to rescan all files, it might be better to enable the "check for updated and removed files" option in the library preferences
Automatic removal of dead links is implemened via that same option

Pingaware

File Rescan is now only available in right click/ Send To/ File Rescan (its been in that place for ages now)
If you need to rescan all files, it might be better to enable the "check for updated and removed files" option in the library preferences
Automatic removal of dead links is implemened via that same option

Ah, I see it, right at the top of the Library preferences. Seems I already have it checked! Thanks for the info Steven
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

redwing

@Steven:

I need to update the following tip:

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=7974.msg78665#msg78665

If the user executes File Rescan for all music files selected from the main panel or for a music files folder from computer node, does that also remove dead links in the library? So does it have the same effect as ticking the two former options?

Steven

• Administrator
If the user executes File Rescan for all music files selected from the main panel or for a music files folder from computer node, does that also remove dead links in the library? So does it have the same effect as ticking the two former options?
i dont think it does and if that is the case i will include dead link checking with prompted removal

redwing

i dont think it does and if that is the case i will include dead link checking with prompted removal

That'd be great as no one would want to have dead links left after rescanning files. I'll update it accordingly later.

Steven

• Administrator
the behavior for v2.5 (next update) is as follows:
Scan Folders for new Files:
- scans the specified folders for new files
- if any missing files for the folders being scanned are detected, a dialog displays prompting to remove the files from the library
- if any updated files in the folders being scanned are detected via the file modification date, the library cache is updated (new to the next version)

right click/ Send To/ Rescan Files
- if < 64 files are being rescanned or [(new to the next version) if >= 64 files and the file modification date has changed], then the file is rescanned and the library cache is updated. Previously all the files selected were fully rescanned but that can take a very long time for a large number of files and hence the change
- if any of the selected files being scanned are missing, a dialog displays prompting to remove the files from the library (new to the next version)

file monitor - on startup (including continuous monitoring):
- scans the specified folders for new files
- if any missing files for the folders being scanned are detected, a dialog displays prompting to remove the files from the library (new to the next version, previously the file status was marked as missing only)
- if any updated files in the folders being scanned are detected via the file modification date, the library cache is updated (new to the next version)

file monitor - continuous monitoring enabled
- detects new files added to the specified folders
- detects files updated in the specified folders (new to the next version)
- does not detect files deleted in the specified folders (will be in v2.6)

I will make this available after a bit more testing

redwing

Then to get the same effect as ticking the two former options (remove dead links + rescan library files), what should the user do? Does running "Scan Folders for new Files" command suffice, or it doesn't rescan files already in the library and hence need to rescan files/folders from context menu?

Steven

• Administrator
Scan Folders for new Files is entirely restricted to the specified folders
to rescan/ remove dead links for all files, select all files and use Send To/ File Rescan

redwing

What if the selected folder is the entire music files folder? Does it (Scan folder for new files command) look for only new files or rescan existing files in library as well?