Author Topic: playing a file whilst writing to it (saving edited tags) at the same time  (Read 3469 times)

xunonem

My drive has enough ram and is not in need of a defrag. This isn't a bug as such, but I have been testing musicbee with a few backed up mp3s, and have noticed that if I edit a tag ie write to the file whilst it also plays at a set point, it will sometimes have an error at that exact point that cannot be fixed (eg a small skip in the file).  Of course writing and playing a file at the same time is not a good idea to minimize any chance of issues and bad practice, but I am wondering how often this should really happen in any player that can tag edit, and if other factors might come into play to increase the chance of corruption? I am sure some people might edit tags whilst playing them and end up noticing a very slight skip in the file at a later date.

Could it be the way musicbee writes to a file combined with how my cpu handles playback? Perhaps before writing to a file musicbee could stop playing the file altogether to avoid any possible skipping issues. Please note that it does not happen often, but after editing tags and noticing a skip in one file, I tried deliberately creating a skip in others on purpose and know now that it is possible. Thanks for any info
Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 02:43:42 AM by xunonem

phred

• Global Moderator
If I'm not mistaken (and someone will correct me if I am) Steven has built logic into MB so that when a playing track is edited and saved, the actual save doesn't take place until the playing of the track is stopped.  Either by moving to the next track, or by pressing the pause button.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

xunonem

Most skins only seem to have a pause button (one of which I was using at the same) rather than both pause and stop (eg skin 'dark'>'calabaza nocturna').   I am sure there is a shortcut to stop a file or prevent tag editing in an attempt to fix this.

If it's definitely written after a stop or change and I note any more skipping then I'll likely have to put it down to the computer rather than player. I thought it might be my drive or cpu struggling to do both and keep up at the point at which the file was written to, but I never use musicbee whilst any other major programs are running in the background, and on an older laptop (2008, windows 7), musicbee is definitely not a resource hog and runs fine. Hard drives are expected to last 4-5 years or so of continuous use but it's never been on constantly and drive stats come up healthy. I have an  8.1 system as well, so I could try testing on that also. Thanks :)

Steven

• Administrator
Either by moving to the next track, or by pressing the pause button.
pretty much correct, except its the stop button, not pause.

phred

• Global Moderator
Ever since I've been using the 'modern' layout I've edited playing tracks (perhaps foolishly) by pressing the pause button, saving, and then resuming playback.  There is no stop button on this layout.  Maybe I've been lucky, but I haven't had any issues with playback once the editing has been saved.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here