Author Topic: Moved to a new Hard Drive, how do I open the old library file and just re-map it  (Read 5944 times)

Chaython

Moved to a new Hard Drive, how do I open the old library file and just re-map it to the new drive? Went from 3TB to 5TB Now it's d:/music rather than g:/music but it won't open the old library file. I simply need to change the drive letter within the library file to remap it....
The latest MusicBee patches.

Zak

• Global Moderator
1. If you use the drive for other stuff besides music, you might find it more useful to reassign the old letter to your new drive. That's covered in this thread:

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=14146.0

2. Given that this question is asked what feels like once a week, maybe MusicBee needs to be a bit more proactive in helping people move their library from one drive to another. I'm not sure what form it would take - maybe if MB notices that the previous library is missing, it prompts for the new location and prompts the user if they want to remap file paths to match.  ???
Bee excellent to each other...

Chaython

I usually do that, but I am constantly testing/breaking/reinstalling windows, and it would be less hassle to finally move to D
The latest MusicBee patches.

redwing

2. Given that this question is asked what feels like once a week, maybe MusicBee needs to be a bit more proactive in helping people move their library from one drive to another. I'm not sure what form it would take - maybe if MB notices that the previous library is missing, it prompts for the new location and prompts the user if they want to remap file paths to match.  ???

I think one of the factors contribute to puzzle people is the command (Remap music folders) is hidden under File> Advanced menu. My suggestion is remove "Advanced" sub-menu and relocate each command under it at a proper spot. Also, consider to add another library-related command that's too asked quite frequently -- how to redirect MB to an old library, executing of which would be equivalent to control key-pressed relaunch.