Author Topic: Your top 3 requests  (Read 19895 times)

Steven

• Administrator
I was planning to do a few of the wishlist items over the break but looking through the list its impossibly overwhelming now and some of the things are too hard for the time i have available.
So to help with the process, what are the 3 things you think most need to be improved/ needed or changed in MusicBee?

Novatlan

My top wishes are:

- Track 1 of 15 and Disc 1 of 3 each in a single colum (like it shows in iTunes)
- When an album is not longer part of the current view (for example in a "played 0 times" playlist after playing all its tracks) it does not disappear from the album list until the view is reloaded
- After tracks are edited, the album list jumps back to the start. Makes it very hard to navigate.

klint

Dear Santa Claus :)
My sole wish (whatever the technical complexity is) for the time being is:
- (better) backwards synch of playcounts from Android players (not the official app, but apps like Rocket Player...), for podcasts mainly

Thanks

Steven

• Administrator
- After tracks are edited, the album list jumps back to the start. Makes it very hard to navigate.
i will do the last 2 of these, but this specific one - i think thats probably quite specific to your settings so could you post a screenshot and describe in a bit more detail the panel you are using.

@klint, i doubt i will do this as i not aware of any standard approach that can be used

klint

@klint, i doubt i will do this as i not aware of any standard approach that can be used
I understand. But just wondering: if I was not the only one asking for this, what if MusicBee imagined and set a standard the other apps could adopt on request of their users? Like, maybe silly, but a simple mechanism of flag files next to the track files, containing the playcounts/ratings? or whatever else....
One could even imagine someone creating a single app that would fit to your requirements on one side, and fit the Last.fm API on the other side, acting as a middleware any player could scrobble to without any change...
Just thinking loud :)
Cheers

Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:49:05 PM by klint

klint

Actually I have a second request :)
As I still always struggle with the various player modes (mini, compact, main normal and main expanded), would you mind adding an icon to the Compact player in the right side of the menubar in the 3 modes but the Compact one? So that one can jump easily from any mode to the other?
Thanks
Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 04:26:07 PM by klint

Alumni

1. Ctrl+click to select multiple albums when grouped by artist in the expanded menu

2. Send To Folder (Copy) enabled for artwork view
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=14500.0

3. iTunes 12 style tabs/filters
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=14250.0

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
[Updated]

Honestly, you've filled two of my biggest remaining requests with the changes to syncing and custom views recently.  :)  But here are three things that seem like you might reasonably be able to accomplish in short order:

1. Save without closing in the floating tag editor window

2. Set tag order in Tag Inspector

3. I can't make up my mind between the ability to sort by Sort tags in Artwork view without displaying them, or full editing functionality (right click menu functions) in expanded artwork view.  Those are the two main reasons I rarely use Artwork view, so either one alone is less effective.  Also why it gets third billing here.  :)
Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:46:46 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

vzell

Adding musicbrainz identifiers natively instead of using virtual tags

Merry christmas everybody

redwing

I'd like you to, during your break, take a fresh look on the menus of MB. Especially commands related to library and playlists are not well organized and not intuitive enough to new users. Other music organizer style player like iTunes & Foobar are far ahead of MB in this regard. Also, it would be nice to see technical jargons in menus and settings being replaced with layman's terms.

Steven

• Administrator

Steven

• Administrator
[Updated]
3. the ability to sort by Sort tags in Artwork view without displaying them, or full editing functionality (right click menu functions) in expanded artwork view.
you will need to explain both of these in more detail

Novatlan

@Steven:
The issue happens if you have multiple albums that will be one album later.
For example if a multi-disc album has been tagged with the disc name inside the album name by some douchbag:
"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - CD1"
"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - CD2"

When you now set the CD (X of 2) correctly and name all files "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" in their album tag, there will now be 3 albums listed in the album list:
"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - CD1"
"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - CD2"
"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"

Only when you switch to another view and back the two wrong albums will vanish.

EDIT: Is there any way to motivate you to do Nr 1, too? :)  I work a lot with Production Music and pretty much all my albums have multiple discs. The iTunes way ("X of X tracks" and "X of X discs") just saves so much space compared to having to show 4 columns. Or alternative another colum "discNumer - trackNumber of totalTracks", so "1-05/15" would also work.
Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 09:03:52 AM by Novatlan

Steven

• Administrator
@Novatlian, resorting the album and tracks view after editing is intentionally not done as i felt it would be quite dis-orienting to users if the screen jumps around after an edit. If you press F5 it will force a refresh
for you first request you should be able to create a virtual tag that does it in one column

edit:
actually i see your point - you were refering to the column browser so i will look into that
Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 09:25:42 AM by Steven

Novatlan

Aah, _thats_ what virtual tags are for. Thanks, I got it working!

Mm, I see where you are coming from, but actually I find it more disorientating that it does not update the view^^
But yes, F5 of course works and if I'm the only one who hates this behaviour, I bow to the majority :) Or maybe a preference?