Author Topic: Your top 3 requests  (Read 20058 times)

Roadrunner

Just one, but an old one:

I would like to be able to prevent changing ratings for example together with the view "Main Player (Locked Down)" or as a separate option for all views but the inbox. Or as an alternative to be able to undo such changes.

redwing

@redwing, can you be more specific

Have a look at the two players' File menu. I think they are well organized and meet the new user's needs quite well especially with commands for adding to library and handling playlists.

vzell

One more wish: Please add support for more virtual and custom tags instead of 16

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
the only place i am aware Paste Artwork was not done was for Albums in the Albums sub-panel. Its done for the next v2.5 update.

Is there a Paste Artwork command here?  I've never seen it.  Copied an image before I took this screenshot:

MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Novatlan

Since one of my wishes is already possible, may I be so cheeky and add a new one?

This is the one that irks me most and I have no idea how I could not mention it:

When selecting an entry in the column browser and then changing the tags of the files fitting the selection so that the selected item does not exist anymore, the list jumps back to the top.

Example:
Select composer "John Doe and Jane Doe".
Change it to "John Doe, Jane Doe"
As soon as you confirm the change, the list jumps back to "All (XXX Elements)". That makes editing tags very hard.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

Is there a Paste Artwork command here?  I've never seen it.  Copied an image before I took this screenshot:

This is working now, thanks!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
unzip and replace the existing MusicBee files:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_5/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

1. "Rescan/Add Files and Playlists"
When adding new music, you have to manually scroll through lots of folders to get to the specific folder you're looking for.  In Win7 file explorer, you can press 'M' to get to the 'M' folders etc.  It would be great to see that in MusicBee.
2. Set tag order in Tag Inspector
this is included now

- Moving from Inbox Respect Auto-Organise
this is included now for the Send to Library command. It will display a popup dialog if the option is enabled and any files have missing tags, but the popup can be disabled

I'd like you to, during your break, take a fresh look on the menus of MB. Especially commands related to library and playlists are not well organized and not intuitive enough to new users. Other music organizer style player like iTunes & Foobar are far ahead of MB in this regard. Also, it would be nice to see technical jargons in menus and settings being replaced with layman's terms.
i have made some changes to the File menu and moved a couple of items from the Tools menu into the file menu.
It also now includes a new Import Playlists command to make it a bit more obvious for new users but can still be done from the "Add Files to Library" command.
The "Last.fm import playlist" commands are removed on the basis they can now be done with the last.fm playlist plugin for the people who want to do that
Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:03:53 PM by Steven

Pingaware

- Moving from Inbox Respect Auto-Organise
this is included now for the Send to Library command. It will display a popup dialog if the option is enabled and any files have missing tags, but the popup can be disabled

Brilliant, cheers Steven! I haven't had a chance to test it, but I'm assuming that it's working perfectly given your usual high standards.

can you explain what you mean by "configure the "keep" requirements"

Currently, MB chooses which of the duplicate files to keep in some way that I've never been able to figure out. This isn't actually much of a problem when you've only got a few duplicates. However, I was dealing with thousands a few months ago, and it would have been much easier if I could have told the duplicates manager to "Keep all files on C:. If none on  C:, keep the longest file. If no longer file, keep the higher quality file" etc, as then I wouldn't have had to check the files as closely to make sure I wasn't deleting one I would want to keep.

EDIT: Just read through my original wishlist request. I've also written something about being able to sort the marked files which I was quite emphatic about. Don't have time to test and work out what I meant by that, but I'll get back to you.
Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:28:48 PM by Pingaware
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

redwing

I'd like you to, during your break, take a fresh look on the menus of MB. Especially commands related to library and playlists are not well organized and not intuitive enough to new users. Other music organizer style player like iTunes & Foobar are far ahead of MB in this regard. Also, it would be nice to see technical jargons in menus and settings being replaced with layman's terms.
i have made some changes to the File menu and moved a couple of items from the Tools menu into the file menu.
It also now includes a new Import Playlists command to make it a bit more obvious for new users but can still be done from the "Add Files to Library" command.
The "Last.fm import playlist" commands are removed on the basis they can now be done with the last.fm playlist plugin for the people who want to do that

Great improvement!

The only thing that's still missing is "Add Files to Library" command, as the current "Add Files to Library" command is actually "Add Folders to Library", which means MB doesn't support importing selected file(s) from a folder through menu commands.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
2. Set tag order in Tag Inspector
this is included now

Thank you!  Just tested, works great for one file at a time.  I can't seem to get it to work for multiple files at one, whether they have the same tags to begin with or not.

Also, the addition of the "Synchronize <Device>" command to the File Menu fills an old request of mine.  Now I can synchronize without switching to the Device node!
Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:49:51 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
@psychoadept, i wont spend any more time on the tag inspector change. For the Synchronise command in the file menu, its always been there!

Steven

• Administrator
The only thing that's still missing is "Add Files to Library" command, as the current "Add Files to Library" command is actually "Add Folders to Library", which means MB doesn't support importing selected file(s) from a folder through menu commands.
yes was aware of that but thats a good suggestion to rename it and then i can also include "Add files" without causing confusion

edit:
actually i decided to call the existing command "Scan Folders for New Files"
Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 04:25:30 PM by Steven

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
@psychoadept, i wont spend any more time on the tag inspector change. For the Synchronise command in the file menu, its always been there!

LOL, the things I miss!  I guess I just never thought to look there when I needed it.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

yes was aware of that but thats a good suggestion to rename it and then i can also include "Add files" without causing confusion

edit:
actually i decided to call the existing command "Scan Folders for New Files"

Excellent! New users will appreciate these changes.