Author Topic: WASAPI not bypassing volume and mixer?  (Read 2449 times)

Nerevarine

I just tried this program for the first time, since I got a tip about it. I was looking for a good player with nice library browsing and WASAPI bit perfect playback.

So I set it up as such, but when I try the volume control it still works. Meaning it isn't bypassing stuff the way WASAPI usually does. Does it really output bit perfect, unchanged streams to my DAC? Why is the mixer etc not bypassed? Can check sample rates etc later by running the stream past my receiver, but thought I'd still ask about this.

Steven

• Administrator
WASAPI exclusive mode is used and output is bit perfect if the sample rate of the source file is supported on the device.
I dont understand how you came to the conclusion that the windows mixer is used (that would only be the case with WASAPI shared mode) and I wont engage in a debate with you about this.

Nerevarine

I never said the windows mixer was in use, I simply noticed that the volume control was working in the player. That isn't the case in players I've tried before when using WASAPI bit perfect (exclusive). In both foobar2k with WASAPI plugin and jRiver I found that the volume control was bypassed when set up that way. Only player I had tried that didn't bypass the volume with WASAPI output was iTunes, and that turned out to not output bit perfect (shared mode then I suppose), it simply locks to a pre-set samplerate/bit depth. That was why I was concerned.

Seems this may not be an issue then. So no need to get upset.