Author Topic: Appears To Hang With Rescan / Add Files  (Read 3313 times)

Big Mons

Hi, I just started using MusicBee (portable) today. I used to use Media Monkey. I selected over 9000 MP3s to scan the first time that I used MusicBee. It scanned down to the last 20 or so according to the status bar at the bottom of the window and then appeared to hang. I let it sit for a minute or so and finally hit cancel. I assumed it was getting hung on a specific file, but for whatever reason it wouldn't skip it or give me any error. I hoped it would add the ones that it scanned successfully up to that point, but it completely cancelled and I had to start over.

Going through and checking boxes to scan directories gets a bit tedious after trying 4 or 5 times. I do not have anything related to replay gain selected. I also restricted it to MP3 files only. I finally resorted to scanning the library in smaller pieces to see if I could narrow it down. I did around 2000 files at first and it appeared to hang on those too, but after several seconds it completed. I thought that maybe there was some processing going on at the end even though the progress bar would show something like "scanning 1988 / 2000" and hang there (I don't recall exactly what the status bar shows or the formatting).

I then decided to scan the remaining 5000-6000 files or whatever it was that was left. It appeared to hang once again near the end. I decided to let it sit since the hard drive was showing activity. After a minute or two it completed! Is it normal for the status bar to appear like it's hanging with around 20 files left? If so, perhaps something could be changed with the UI to indicate that all of the files are scanned but some kind of post-processing is happening or a database is being built or whatever is actually happening. I wasted a bit of time trying to get the files added and redoing it. I almost gave up on MusicBee because I couldn't get my files imported, or so I thought.

redwing

My guess is some of your files might be partially corrupt. MB tends to be a little pickier in that regard than other players. You might want to try some mp3 file repair apps.

But MB's handling of such situations seems to leave something to be desired. It could just proceed to the next file if file validation takes longer than the usual, reporting the list of import-failed files at the end or asking the user whether to skip the file.

Big Mons

But MB's handling of such situations seems to leave something to be desired. It could just proceed to the next file if file validation takes longer than the usual, reporting the list of import-failed files at the end or asking the user whether to skip the file.
This is exactly what I'm suggesting. Give me some kind of idea of what's going on during the import. If a file can't be imported or times out, don't ask me to skip it though. That requires me to be at the computer and watching while it imports 9000 files. I'd say just let it do it's thing and then give me a list of failed files at the end of the process that I can then investigate. If there is corruption, that would also point me to the files that I may need to look into, reacquire, or repair. I used Media Monkey in the past and I believe it gave some type of listing of failed files, but it's been a while so I'm not certain. When it happpened to me, I just assumed that MusicBee was failing for some unknown reason and was close to giving up and abandoning the app. I'm glad that I waited it out and let it finish because so far I'm really liking MusicBee.