Author Topic: Hierarchically Organize "Location" Tags in a similar way to "Genre Category"?  (Read 1896 times)

peggysparkles

I can't start a new thread without saying that I've been using MusicBee for about a year and a half now and I'm still finding new and amazing ways to use this tool. It's just the best.

With that out of the way, I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide some suggestions for a particular goal I'd like to accomplish.

Basically, I was hoping to achieve "Genre Category"-like functionality for the "Location" tag. Basically, I'd like to be able to group music by location in a hierarchical way, e.g. "North America > Canada  > Montreal" or "Africa > Nigeria", etc. Ideally, I would be able to add various levels of location tags (continent, country, province/state, city) and then have these be sorted intelligently.

I realize that this is even more complicated than the "Genre Category" functionality, because that only has two levels (Genre Category > Genre) and this potentially has four (continent > country > province/state > city). If I have to keep it to one level, that would still be very useful (e.g. Continent > other location options).

Has anyone found a way to achieve this? Maybe with Virtual Tags?

(Since geographic information is relatively stable, I also wonder if this functionality couldn't be built into the software (or a plugin), such that it has an independent database of location information that intelligently parses the location field. But that sounds like a lot of development work to me).

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you tag everything very consistently, you could probably achieve this with Virtual tags.  For instance, you could use the $Split function to create separate Continent, Country, State, and City tags from a Location tag that was arranged Continent; Country; State; City.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

peggysparkles

Thanks, yes that might do the trick! This led me to the functions entry in the wiki (http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Functions) which looks dangerously amazing;)