Author Topic: Auto-Sync GUI improvements  (Read 17396 times)

Steven

• Administrator
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_5/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

There have been various requests for the auto-sync GUI to be improved so i have made a few changes:
- the device summary panel now allows for the synch list to be set in that panel
- the synch progress is also displayed in the summary panel and can be viewed after synchronisation has completed
- an new option to sych all playlists or all podcasts, as well as selecting individual ones
- the playlists and podcasts selection box is much bigger now
- i still plan to make a further few adjustments, moving the "on-the-fly" conversion settings to the Settings tab. I might add a preview button there so you can see which files would be converted but i would like to see some comments or +1's before i did that
Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:21:02 PM by Steven

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Awesome!  That's a huge improvement already.

Possible tweaks:
* Sync specific library filters
* Put all Device Settings in the main Settings tab (not just conversion settings)
* New skin element for at least the top portion (and don't have the top color shown all the way down the side)
* Combine "Sync Music, Audiobooks, Video" into one Library tab, and give Playlists a separate tab instead (since they take up more space and can technically contain files from any of the library nodes).
* Provide a universal sync filter, sort of like the filter for auto-DJ, so that you could control certain criteria across all synced files.  (For instance, I would like to filter ALL tracks with the keyword "NSFW".  It would save me from duplicating a lot of playlists with "clean" and "explicit" versions.)
* Preview actual size of synced files when doing conversion.  If it's tough to get the actual file size, at least indicate somewhere that the file size shown at the top of the sync window will be reduced when files are converted.

Oh, and a small bug: the very first playlist folder is not shown as a combined playlist, the "Folder\" entry that all the other folders have.
Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:24:01 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

Looks nice! Here are some suggestions.

- Audiobooks and Videos too support selecting individual items for syncing.
- Currently it shows the number of selected files, total duration and size. That's good but not enough. Display more detailed current summary sync settings so that users don't have to open every tab to confirm selected settings. It can show what (how many playlists / podcasts / audiobooks, etc)  will be synced to where (device path) and how (important device settings such as separate playlist folder and encoding/artwork handling).
- "Storage Settings" can be shown on the main panel too. BTW does Preferences really need devices tab when the settings vary for each device? Is it sort of a user-specific default device setting? If so, how about showing the settings all the time without having any devices connected?

Bug
- Under Music tab, tick "folders", click on ... button, then you get the following error message.

MusicBee v2.5.5454.39385 (Win6.1)

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at #=q2JRov$mBoA0hbXkSHOZk0PZ8O97C$NfceUGiGKs4wJw=.#=qV2E$KGPVGpH4eMZMi6J4cw==(#=qMC08Dbn_3djoYggjEH2P2RkhF8yVWu0uq1E$dU_mfhAiK7S_wAMFWA$4eISqpntL #=q8Akb$YLqtqFD7$KLN5G9q16D96Fl5cubhSmgT1O2UT0=, #=qK2P5h7yPDpk0qLfymkP6TVljY0ymBwC9aXv2xd611OJpVKK$YbNEefcgkTl1EHBG #=qFPznlvL96$2cEuTt86jwZQ==, Boolean #=q2lf7rWxnXi125NdQpygn9RkSTtjKgU10rXNwhBRmbDI=, Boolean #=qFbPbk$ICfgUTsPS2Q6uYLg==)
   at #=q4pv2s52W_9B3306XxzB3PcyTPENQ4u5WOYiGKwT8NRg=.#=qiutPHyDVASTvCvVqad$SK9SYOX01NBkr1cX$4BuHT4w=(Object #=qXDn8DvarZ0z65k4$4CfvZA==, #=qTlnPIGRxIaw6LZE8LtQMNYpaGc4qxWdrbcFPT_kINYnIoflQNb3bmgMKyfgT3zye #=q1v2aX17r518y4WjTg_Bd8Q==)
   at #=qPgzGrOkr9AYfluoCyTKfV4Kq1pbA9mVAyoMgZknIMRo46W9azkwEKCMB$hzaZaQ_.OnClick(EventArgs #=qalDObHA$FwJwC6eJCMp4Fg==)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If so, how about showing the settings all the time without having any devices connected?

I know this has been requested before.  +1, sometimes I want to adjust or look at settings without plugging the device in.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
If so, how about showing the settings all the time without having any devices connected?
I've always hoped for a dropdown-style menu of the various devices (and their settings) that had previously been connected and sync'd.  Whether or not they are currently connected.  And the ability to delete a device when it's no longer in one's possession.

I know this has been requested before.  +1, sometimes I want to adjust or look at settings without plugging the device in.
Yes.  +1
Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:09:54 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
i have made some further GUI rearrangements so the settings are all accessible from the summary panel and i have added the ability to edit settings for offline devices. However because a couple of values needed for editing offline devices are not currently saved, the initial list will only be the active devices. After that you will be able to edit the settings when the device is not plugged in.
I will make this available in the next v2.5 update

phred

• Global Moderator
i have made some further GUI rearrangements so the settings are all accessible from the summary panel and i have added the ability to edit settings for offline devices.
Great news!  I look forward to seeing it.  Thanks Steven.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
i think there is a bug in yesterday's version where its not saving the selected podcasts when saving the synch settings  ie. it will only save as all podcasts (or no podcasts if "sync podcasts" is not ticked). I'm not ready to make the updated version available so keep that in mind

Steven

• Administrator

I have added a "Sync Preview" tab that shows the actions that will be done when synching and estimate of the space requirements/ free space on the device.
Also the ability to edit offline devices profiles as described in the previous posts

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks Steven.
I know you said the other day that the initial list would only be the active device, but you know as well as I do that some users don't read the instructions.  When I launched this new patch version, with -no- device connected, and went to Edit > Preferences > Devices MB threw the error below.  I restarted with a device connected and of course all was well.  Connected another device and again it's fine.  Disconnect devices, shut down MB and restarted, and the devices appear in Preferences.  I can just see some users trying it without a device connected and issuing bug reports.

All that being said, it's a great implementation.  I especially like the status screen.  I would like to suggest that once a device is selected and the configure screen is visible, that the device name be present somewhere.  If I didn't have such drastically different configurations, I wouldn't have known which device I was working with.  

Thanks.
Code
MusicBee v2.5.5456.37633 (Win6.1), 9 Dec 2014 16:05:

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: InvalidArgument=Value of '0' is not valid for 'SelectedIndex'.
Parameter name: SelectedIndex
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
   at #=qAoEfhE0ScbEzbXAa4GH_Xjv8ozkmIUzxy07ni$sJsaae3WKt7D10ihyCclqNMJXD.#=qb2pPlXMoCmEQUJrxipf3M2MCl4PberT49LSLGI3jZUs=(Int32 #=qMcJBpz0vtlv4MhCfq7ZcFA==)
   at #=q97YlobYhUs2z3MGi6BF24gfLzdZV4u$DgyKfWKN0L7zL9VCDFp04kjpSEd6dKYqK.#=qk9WJPdWIUhHwVdRDfchuMHzqIiyiBJ8n7fT8amrVBrg=()
   at #=q97YlobYhUs2z3MGi6BF24gfLzdZV4u$DgyKfWKN0L7zL9VCDFp04kjpSEd6dKYqK.#=q2K51ZOcdrnEIuOnO5Sj6Gl88Eh7pkyGh7$RRNTIPzTE=()
   at #=q97YlobYhUs2z3MGi6BF24gfLzdZV4u$DgyKfWKN0L7zL9VCDFp04kjpSEd6dKYqK.#=qtu7neMcEIsLJeuSg4z0SNIlrYeQx1Ay30QhacD8ALmE=(Object #=qCls3hrJAyptd6CD_6hB$rA==, EventArgs #=qpAO23tPyVAy7kvXm5F0EEw==)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.WmSelChange()
   at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
   at #=q97YlobYhUs2z3MGi6BF24gfLzdZV4u$DgyKfWKN0L7zL9VCDFp04kjpSEd6dKYqK.#=qczzB1zMa8UenzxazYzM3L1htqECSzsEpwi2YUp$lMag8$Gmh_7UGuF6_wkkMD0b2(Object #=qnerImwDseIwLQey3AorNQA==, EventArgs #=qVSkDYUjPkYx59JTaN0J0eA==)
   at #=qAoEfhE0ScbEzbXAa4GH_Xjv8ozkmIUzxy07ni$sJsaae3WKt7D10ihyCclqNMJXD.#=q3Gl55Skhgs$8tmFSeGKUoBizJzz1HOZdGXz9aBi_HE0=(EventArgs #=qGX9amKJC_gJBn1TUvYN8og==)
   at #=qAoEfhE0ScbEzbXAa4GH_Xjv8ozkmIUzxy07ni$sJsaae3WKt7D10ihyCclqNMJXD.#=qi9LTzAkdvAfNDfOL8EbMdBuwuP6BDd_Sy16MlK1flOJnCOglhhVhewJqJPwe9xba(Object #=qrBLWg2LIBZXDTr0HS001_w==, EventArgs #=qpnwJmY5V__YkGzosd79VjQ==)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.WndProc(Message& m)
   at #=qAoEfhE0ScbEzbXAa4GH_Xjv8ozkmIUzxy07ni$sJsaae3WKt7D10ihyCclqNMJXD.#=qoVbMCg3LAudyvpq$HyO0ZoIQBvsXWg5M$gkfekSFxiE=.WndProc(Message& #=qTqddPaCm9cCezeryVqQEcA==)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:49:33 PM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator

to fix the bug reported by phred

I would like to suggest that once a device is selected and the configure screen is visible, that the device name be present somewhere.  If I didn't have such drastically different configurations, I wouldn't have known which device I was working with. 
are you refering to the edit configure dialog in the preferences/ devices window? The device name is in the dialog header bar

phred

• Global Moderator

to fix the bug reported by phred
Fast response.  Thanks.  But someone else will have to test this before connecting any devices.

are you refering to the edit configure dialog in the preferences/ devices window? The device name is in the dialog header bar
Yes.  Like I said, some people (apparently myself included) don't read -all- the words.  It's there.  I guess it just wasn't were I expected it.  IOW in the window itself rather than in the header.  

Nevertheless - well done, Sir.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
looks good  -  works well
no problem with latest patch re: phred's reported bug.

I think you tried in the past to fix the device icon issue, but please, please, please have another try at MB using the correct icon size.

elsewhere in Windows

in MusicBee
Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:36:44 AM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

klint

Thanks Steven that's a very very useful enhancement :)

I have 2 questions/issues:

- is there a way to rename the device over MTP (just to avoid the "Portable Device" generic name)? The option is greyed out in the contextual menu.

- also, since the last update, I have random issues with sync of playlists, like: suddenly, all tracks are being transferred again, although there are on the phone already and the previous sync 10 sec before did not have to sync anything... I also had to delete some play lists on the device to get them synced properly again... and also one file that needed to be deleted from the device couldn't at first (file not found) then could be deleted on the next attempt... But maybe it's my device that is unstable?

Thanks again

Steven

• Administrator
i havent changed anything about the synching itself, at least not intentionally. Does synching all the playlist tracks happen every time?
And what do you mean by "to get them synced properly again" for your playlists?