Author Topic: Removing 'The' from Album Artist  (Read 3732 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
How do I make "The" -not- appear when ripping a CD?  I have file naming set to
<Sort Album Artist>\<Album>\<Disc-Track#> - <Title>

When ripping a CD by The Beatles, I want the Album Artist or Sort Album Artist to be simply "Beatles" as I don't like the way "Beatles, The" looks.  The Album Artist, or Sort Album Artist tags for the individual files are okay as "The Beatles" because MB ignores the "The" when sorting/searching.

Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Zak

• Global Moderator
Can't you just change the Album Artist to "Beatles" before you rip?

Or are you saying you want the Album Artist tags to be "The Beatles" and you just want the folder to be "Beatles"?
If the latter I can't see how to do that with the functions currently available in MusicBee.

You can't just use $Replace(<Album Artist>,The,) because that will replace all instances of "The" not just those at the start, and in the absence of a string length function there's no way to get just the part after "The".  :-\
Bee excellent to each other...

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
You can't just use $Replace(<Album Artist>,The,)

No, but you can use
$RSplit($Sort(<Album Artist>),",",2)
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

phred

• Global Moderator
Can't you just change the Album Artist to "Beatles" before you rip?
If I did that, then the individual tracks would be tagged as "Beatles" for the Artist instead of "The Beatles."

Or are you saying you want the Album Artist tags to be "The Beatles" and you just want the folder to be "Beatles"?
Yes, exactly.

You can't just use $Replace(<Album Artist>,The,)

No, but you can use
$RSplit($Sort(<Album Artist>),",",2)
Thanks.  I will give this a try later today.

EDIT:  Works perfectly!!  Thanks!
Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 05:12:24 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Although you might have to modify this for aritsts with commas in their name, like "Blood, Sweat, and Tears".

As long as you're confident that you don't have artists that both begin with The AND have a comma in them, you can use this:

$If($Left(<Album Artist>,3)="The",$RSplit($Sort(<Album Artist>),",",2),<Album Artist>)

If you're not sure of that, or have other special cases to deal with, you might need to take advantage of the Sort Album Artist field. 

This is the virtual tag I use for grouping in the library and folder names on the computer (I split from the left rather than the right, but otherwise it uses the same formula to get rid of "The"):

$If($Or(<Album Artist>="[Compilation]",<Genre>="TV Clip"),$Split(<Sort Artist>,",",1),$If(<Album Artist>=<Sort Album Artist>,<Album Artist>,$Split(<Sort Album Artist>,",",1)))
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)