Author Topic: Can't find songs after adding to library??  (Read 5193 times)

ImagoX

Hi everyone,

MB newbie here, trying to get set up for the first time. Using Windows 7 64-bit.  I have about 10,000 MP3s on an external HDD (my F: drive), all in folders/subfolders, which I've been collecting for about 10 years (so I'd like to preserve my file structure). After MB was finished loading, I Added a Folder location to make my Library - in my case, all my music is in F:\MP3.

It scanned all 10k songs it looked like, but when I try to look for many of my songs I can't locate them. I checked one of the songs that did not seem to be present in the Library by manually playing it (File -> Open) and it played just fine, but when I looked at the song's properties all the tags (Artist, Song, Album, Year, etc.) was BLANK. As I said, I've been ripping my CDs for almost a decade now, and many of them do not have proper tagging data, as MP3 rippers back in the day didn't automatically add this data. Worse, many of my MP3s are purchased from Amazon, and lots of them for some reason ALSO don't seem to have proper tag data (which is surprising to me).

This is my first time using the app - before this, I was using iTunes, but I HATED it because I had to jump through hoops to keep my old-skool file structures intact and not copy everything to the default iTunes folder.  I'm switching to MB because I recently purchased an Android tablet and MB was one of the highest-rated apps for managing my songs to later send to the Android device. I also recently reloaded my PC which (of course) FUBARed my iTunes library, even though all my songs were on an external HDD and should not have been affected.

So... my question is: HOW do I make it so I can find big chunks of my songs using MB if they lack tags? iTunes had no issues with them, and neither did WinAmp (no longer published) before that.

Thanks a million in advance for your help!!

ImagoX

UPDATE:

I figured out how to show songs with missing tags, then I tried using the Tagging Tools in MB for a few of my songs with missing tags by doing the following:

Shift+Enter to Edit tags, then chose Auto-Tag

MB found all the song data and even an album cover, but when I Saved the newly-edited tags I'm still seeing the blue exclamation mark and the song still shows up in the list of "Show Songs With Missing Tags" - what am I doing wrong?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Have you confirmed that the tags are saved to the files?  It may be that there are still tags missing that MB is looking for, though some were saved.  It could also be that you just need to rescan the files (right click > send to > rescan).

Beyond that, a screenshot might help.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Pingaware

The blue exclamation mark doesn't really disappear until you rescan the files or restart MB again - it's not a problem with what you're doing, just a quirk of MB.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

ImagoX

I'll give that a try, thanks. Also, FYI - I loaded up WinAmp (which is no longer current, but I found the last official version online) and that application located all but about 100 songs and added the correct Artist and Title - MB could not find something like 1,700 of my 10k songs.  Sadness.. :(

Before I go to the trouble of spending hours and hours updating my tracks, let me ask this:

The whole reason I've loaded MB was that I want to use it to manage songs on an Asus Andriod tablet. I would have just used WinAmp (which I've used before in the past, just never to manage music on a mobile device as well as on my desktop), but the app is no longer being updated. DOES Music Bee, in the opinions of you guys, work well for adding songs to an Android device? Specifically:

1. Can MB add songs to a mobile device (literally copy the files onto the tablet/phone) based on whether or not they exist as part of a playlist, or will I have to manually add the songs in some manner? About the ONLY thing I like about iTunes is its ability to only add songs to my mobile device that are in playlists (I've got too many tracks to send 100% of them to my mobile).

2. Is there a wiki page somewhere I'm not seeing, or can someone link me to a how-to illustrating how MB handles mobile device syncing?

Thanks very much guys!!  I hope I can get things worked out - I really like MBs interface, so I'm hoping this is just usual n00b orientation to the UI...

Zak

• Global Moderator
1. Can MB add songs to a mobile device (literally copy the files onto the tablet/phone) based on whether or not they exist as part of a playlist...
Yep, as easily as dragging a playlist to your device.

2. Is there a wiki page somewhere I'm not seeing, or can someone link me to a how-to illustrating how MB handles mobile device syncing?
Link is in the signature two posts up. Syncing options are under "Essentials > Files > Syncing".[/quote]
Bee excellent to each other...

ImagoX

1. Can MB add songs to a mobile device (literally copy the files onto the tablet/phone) based on whether or not they exist as part of a playlist...
Yep, as easily as dragging a playlist to your device.

Link is in the signature two posts up. Syncing options are under "Essentials > Files > Syncing".
[/quote]

Thanks so much, Zak - I'll look over the wiki page. Good to know that syncing via playlists is not only possible, but sounds like it's fairly easy, too.

Just to be sure I understand: after syncing, I'll use *MUSIC BEE* to play my playlists and songs, right? Or will it somehow sync to the Android's default music player application/service? If this works well with my tablet, I'm considering trading  my Windows Phone (Lumia 1020) for an Android phone, and so I want to make sure I can do all the usual things re: playback such as control track selection with in-line headphine controls and the like.

Thanks again!!

redwing

DOES Music Bee, in the opinions of you guys, work well for adding songs to an Android device?

It depends on the model. Some devices might work flawlessly, but if you look at Portable Devices board, you will find lots of reports having problem syncing to their devices for whatever reason. So you will need to find out yourself, in case there's no report from an owner of the same model of yours.