Author Topic: Order by "play count per month", possible?  (Read 4235 times)

e-motiv

I thought this would be possible by creating a virtual tag from "Play count" and "Last played", but not only do I think that I don't have the right functions, I can only use real tags in virtual tags (and these are just properties).

So, anyone an idea if this is possible yet somehow in MusicBee today?

Underlying problem: As well ordering by "play count" as "last played" by itself always gives problems since your library is not a constant thing during as time goes on.
  Developing @ e-motiv.net       --       Musicbee plugins: Speak Back - Ghost Tracks - Radio Dig

redwing

Unless some plugin records each play date per file somewhere and counts them per month, I don't see how that could be achieved with the cumulative play count.

e-motiv

Unless some plugin records each play date per file somewhere and counts them per month, I don't see how that could be achieved with the cumulative play count.
I know, but I was thinking at least averagely, like:     "Last played (in months)" divided by "Play count".   Both fields already available in MB.
In other words the more times you played it the lower it will be ordered, the longer you haven't played it the higher it will be ranked.

(You can even weigh in ratings if you want, and it would even be a better weighed order, in stead of a first order by this, than by that and than by that.)
Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:10:23 PM by R U Bn ?
  Developing @ e-motiv.net       --       Musicbee plugins: Speak Back - Ghost Tracks - Radio Dig

Cigla

My idea was to have one global variable, a predefined value [average playcount] (something like [playing track] that you can choose as value for Album field). This could be used as second criteria, the one that could come after "Last Played not in last x days".
This way you could ban from playing those tracks that are about to be played more than average.

It wouldn't stop playing tracks with above average playcount to be EVER played in that playlist, because [average playcount] isn't constant value, and at some point in time, tracks that couldn't pass this criteria before, should pass it eventually. This way you could force all the tracks to be played similar number of times.

[average playcount] has to be autocalculated by MusicBee, at startup, or after every played track, or on user demand (if it's heavy task for cpu to be taken out that often).
This is something that shouldn't be hard to implement, and could improve auto playlists and mixer playlists.

Advanced, predefined value [playlist playcount average] could be calculated before populating playlist, and should mean the average for all the tracks that match the playlist criteria. This one, I guess, could be hard for implementation, but again, just an idea.
Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:21:58 PM by Cigla

Steven

• Administrator
i recall boroda74's tag tools plugin did something around assigning scores to tracks that incorporated various factors such as play count, last played and ratings, so it might be worth checking that out.
Otherwise i would think this needs a dedicated plugin to be written by someone to keep play stats so various things can be done with the stats