Author Topic: UPnP/ DLNA device support  (Read 302080 times)

Gendji

Is there a way to send files to an UpPnP device without any form of transcoding?

Trying to get this to work on a Samsung TV, which is unable to read x-flac, x-wav or mpeg.
Sending the file works, TV starts reading, but stops not being able tot play the files.

It can handle normal Flac and MP3.

Steven

• Administrator
can you enable the debug mode in the plugin prefs, restart MB and then play a transcoded file. Then send me the log so i can see what is going on.
Also a link to a screenshot of the plugin settings will be needed

Steven

• Administrator
in both cases the flac file is not being transcoded ie. just sent as a flac file. "X-FLAC" is the mime type for flac which the device says it supports.
I assume the playback of the first file stopped by itself after 2 seconds. Perhaps there is something about that file that causes issues for the player. You might have more luck if you force transcoding to PCM eg. tick Continous output or "level the playback volume..." if you have replay gain active in MB and the files have replay gain tags

Gendji

Ah right, i thought that the http://ip:port/files/*.mpeg or .x-flac etc., where send to the TV directly with that extension.

You are right, they just stop after 2 seconds. Not only that file but everything in my playlist.

I will test Continuous output with different settings.

Samsung Smart TV's aren't that smart at all, as it turns out :)

gpzbc

Thank you for this feature!  It is a game changer for me.

Gendji

Got the "sending files to" part working on the TV. Turned out that adding MB to the firewall wasn't enough, i also had to add the port it uses. But it works now :)

The only thing not working (yet) is the TV reading from MB. I can see MB Library as a source. It starts up but stops stating that there is no media found.

Btw i read in this topic http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=800.195 , about MB not working on a WDTV. I have a WD TV Live and it works. Playlists, Radio etc. including covers.

I also have "Root element is missing" message in the log but if you go to audio, you can choose Media Library (which is MB) as the source nevertheless, and use MB with the WD TV Live.

slyr114

Ha, im a dummy, he even bolded that and I missed it. But after reading up isnt upnp and dlna ONLY for home access?

phred

• Global Moderator
Not necessarily "home" but only within the network where MB lives.  It could be the home, or it could be work.  As long as MB and the device are on the same network, it should work.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

gpzbc

I realize that this is still an early iteration and it is still a work in progress, but are there any plans for increasing the resolution of the album artwork available over UPnP/DLNA?

Thanks again for this!!!

Steven

• Administrator
the artwork is resized to 160x160 as per the DLNA standard for thumbnail images. What MB does is provide a 2nd larger image as an alternative but i guess your device doesnt read that.
I know some devices can support thumbnails larger than 160x160 but i know there are others that dont so if i did do anything it would be as an option but are you sure your device can actually show the artwork if it is sized larger?

gpzbc

the artwork is resized to 160x160 as per the DLNA standard for thumbnail images. What MB does is provide a 2nd larger image as an alternative but i guess your device doesnt read that.
I know some devices can support thumbnails larger than 160x160 but i know there are others that dont so if i did do anything it would be as an option but are you sure your device can actually show the artwork if it is sized larger?

Yes. I think so. I use BubbleUPnP to play my MB library on my home theater via a Chromecast. With Mediamonkey, the artwork that shows up on my tv screen is high enough resolution to look like original artwork. With MB, the artwork is much lower resolution.

I think an option for higher resolution is a fine idea. By the way, all of my artwork is 800x800 and is embedded in the tags.
Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:08:25 PM by gpzbc

sebog

Thanks so much!!! That plugin is awesome. It works great also with the ICYBOX DLNA renderer (hardware) and also with BubbleUPnP :) in both directions.

Will that new 2.5.5 version be an official new version of musicbee without the need to manuelly install another version in the future? Hope so! :)

In case you are in contact with the developers of musicbee - it would be really great to implement some easy change/switch of the "Output" (between DirectSound and UPNP Renderer): For example a. hotkey b. rightclick c. another optional icon in the play panel.

Another small thing i realized: "Bucket tree nodes by the first letter when more than XXXX items are displayed" doesn't work with BubbleUPnP in my case. The tree nodes are displayed all the time.

Thank's again! :)

sebog

*Update to the text above

I've got to apologize, Steven: Didn't realize that YOU are teh developer of MusicBee! :)
Node Tree display works fine: It probably needed a restart of some kind. Still album art is not displayed in BubbleUPNP yet

Thanks again

gpzbc

:-\  hmmm.   Album art shows up fine in BubbleUPnP for me, albeit lower resolution (see previous post).