Author Topic: Forced formatting for m4a year tag  (Read 2763 times)

redwing

Recently I noticed iTunes/iPhone displays incorrect year tag for some files of mine. It turned out that iTunes writes m4a year tag (Release Date tag: ©day) in YYYY-MM-DD format (However, through iTunes "get info" command, you can enter only four digit for just year).

My Windows short date format is set to MM/DD/YYYY. Then iTunes/iPhone displays only MM for the year tag. If I change date format of those files to YYYY-MM-DD, then iDevices correctly displays year just in four digit.

Of course I can edit the year tag of my m4a files in that format or change my Windows setting. But, upon reading this comment:

in v2.2 there was forced formatting applied when editing a date field where it formatted the date according to the windows date format on your machine. I dont think that forced formatting was ever applied anywhere else. In v2.3 it doesnt attempt to format the date at all (except when reading mp3 files because of the way dates are stored).
To make the dates consistent for the new files, you might check out the advanced tagging tools plugin to see if there is an automated way.
I guess you could also add a wishlist request for MB to have a setting to force the date display format as well

how about making it default to force format m4a year tag in YYYY-MM-DD format regardless of the user's Windows format setting? Would this change have any negative impact on the use of other players/devices?