Author Topic: "Unlock views" for filters and playlists  (Read 16118 times)

redwing

OK, I see what you meant. It does do something when saved in non-default artwork view. Also I meant by "displayed fields" fields in expanded panel, but now I see you meant fields displayed under artwork. Looks like it saves sort by setting too, except group by setting.

redwing

Maybe I should make myself clearer about these points.

1. For filters/playlists, current view setting options are misleading since now switching views constantly updates the initially saved view setting. Change it to "default"  and "custom", plus the list of custom views created by the user.

2. When a new filter is created, its column set is inherited from the default view of library node instead of from default view of playlists. Likewise, when you change its view setting to custom, its column set shouldn't change and then you can start editing it to your liking. Currently, if you change the view setting to any of the three non-default views, it gets column set from default-view playlists instead of default-view library nodes. Because of that, you can't make any changes to initial column set with any library nodes, and that has to be done by editing column set of either defaut-view static playlists or auto-DJ node.

Then each filter/playlist would be locked to one of view settings ("default",  "custom", or one of user-created custom views) until the user edits the setting again using Edit Filter pane. With whatever setting, it would be possible to switch between the three view options (track details / album & tracks / artwork view), but if you open Edit Filter pane, it's always locked to its own view setting. So view setting (default/custom/user-created custom views) would be independent from view options (track details / album & tracks / artwork view). If you open panel layout button for a node with user-created custom view setting, the button would show both one of view options (track details / album & tracks / artwork view) and the name of the user-created custom view ticked. For default view nodes and custom view nodes, only one of the view options would be ticked.

With default view selected, filters will share the same column set for each view options. With custom view, each filter keeps its own column set for each view. With a user-created custom view, filters will share the same column set for a specific view and unique column set for the other views.
Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:49:35 PM by redwing

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Then each filter/playlist would be locked to one of view settings ("default",  "custom", or one of user-created custom views) until the user edits the setting again using Edit Filter pane. With whatever setting, it would be possible to switch between the three view options (track details / album & tracks / artwork view), but if you open Edit Filter pane, it's always locked to its own view setting. So view setting (default/custom/user-created custom views) would be independent from view options (track details / album & tracks / artwork view). If you open panel layout button for a node with user-created custom view setting, the button would show both one of view options (track details / album & tracks / artwork view) and the name of the user-created custom view ticked. For default view nodes and custom view nodes, only one of the view options would be ticked.

With default view selected, filters will share the same column set for each view options. With custom view, each filter keeps its own column set for each view. With a user-created custom view, filters will share the same column set for a specific view and unique column set for the other views.

I think I follow your thinking, but this seems unnecessarily complicated to me.  It makes more sense to me to have the basic views be defaults that have the same settings across filters, and use custom views for everything else.  You can always set a filter to one of the default views, then save it as a custom view before configuring it to your liking.  That will serve the same purpose of giving it unique settings, and it will be waiting for you if you try something else but want to switch back.  Plus you can still freely swtich between defaults and custom, without bothering with settings in the filter/playlist.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

That would be more complicated even than the current one because you will end up having lots of user-created custom views in various names. Currently you don't have to name a unique setting if you set a node to one of the three views for view setting (and my suggestion is to merge the three views into a single "custom" setting because that's what they actually do collectively).
Anyway, even an experienced user would need quite a time to figure out what's going on with the current view settings and column set handling.
Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:48:31 AM by redwing

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
you will end up having lots of user-created custom views in various names

I guess I'm used to that, since it was previously the only way to get consistency of behavior.

I still think everything being totally independent is the least complicated way to go, but I also see that it's sometimes helpful to be able to copy view settings across multiple playlists, etc.  So maybe it should be the other way around: have all unique settings for the three generic views, and only replicate settings with custom views.  That does return us to the problem of what initial settings to use for the generic views, but I think using whatever the settings are for the main library would make sense.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)